PDA

View Full Version : Another Question on Shipping

ZeroJunk
June 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
Can I ship a rifle from NC to myself care of an outfitter in MT to hold until I get there?

ZeroJunk
June 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
The answer is yes in case anybody cares.I did a little research on the ATF site.You can ship it to yourself at an address in another state.But,nobody else can open the package and take possession of the weapon.

DouglasW
June 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
Can you post a link to that rule on the ATF website (or elsewhere). Is there any restriction on how it must be shipped (overnight, etc?). Thanks.

NavyLT
June 6, 2007, 10:27 AM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

For shipping type restrictions, you will have to search the USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS websites. I do know that long gun shipping is much less restricted than handgun shipping.

Here's another good FAQ:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

JAXX
June 6, 2007, 12:20 PM
Zero, just out of curiosity, why would you want to ship the rifle instead of transporting it with you, either by automobile or plane? Out here in hunting country, people fly with their rifles all the time. Obviously the rifles are not carry on items, but you can check them. Just some food for thought....

DouglasW
June 6, 2007, 01:54 PM
Zero, just out of curiosity, why would you want to ship the rifle instead of transporting it with you, either by automobile or plane? Out here in hunting country, people fly with their rifles all the time. Obviously the rifles are not carry on items, but you can check them. Just some food for thought....

Sadly, I don't know who I would trust less with a high-end hunting rifle. I've heard several shipping horror stories resulting in missing/damaged firearms, but the TSA guys may not be any better. I'd probably choose flying with it...but am mindful of what I witnessed last time I flew out of the Denver airport with a firearm:

I was waiting at the secondary security for TSA to screen my locked handgun case. There were two gentlemen in line in front of me, who I suspect had been elk hunting here. As the TSA guy fumbled with the first guy's rifle case, the shooter politely offered to remove his rifle from the case for the TSA guy to examine and assist in any other way.

The TSA guy ignored him, and then proceeded to drop this poor guy's scoped rifle onto the concrete floor. :eek:

The owner winced...and kept any further comments to himself.

I felt his pain.

Some airports I've been to, including Tampa (and perhaps Baltimore, too). You're not even there for the 'screening'...which doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

ZeroJunk
June 6, 2007, 03:16 PM
The first year I Elk hunted part of the group drove out and took all the rifles.The plane we were taking out of Greensboro had a bad valve where the fuel is put in the under side of the wing.When we got to Chicago the connecting flight had already closed the door, but since it was the same airline they reopened it and let us on and we even got the luggage.After that it occurred to us that if your luggage is lost when you are going to fly one day and the hunt starts the next morning you are really in trouble.So,for the next 15 years or so I bow hunted and shipped cloths ,bow and all by UPS to the outfitter in Augusta.Pretty easy when all you have is carry on.Now the group does not bow hunt although bow hunting is more interesting to me.Last year we checked the rifles,TSA was decent enough,and no problems were encountered.But,it sure was easy not having to go through all the inspections and having your gear there when you arrived.

JAXX
June 6, 2007, 11:50 PM
I understand, luckily I live about an hour away from the trophy bulls:D Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:)