PDA

View Full Version : FN FS2000 - Clearing a malfunction

FirstFreedom
June 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
Looks like there are not a lot of ways to get fingers/pliers/screwdriver inside the action, if the gun jams up tight - esp., what if the brass expulsion tube gets a jam somehow? Unlikely, but IF it did, seems like it'd probably be easier to buy a new gun than clear it out.

Tamara
June 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
I was handed a complicated plastic mechanism and asked "Which coffee maker did this come out of?"

I was stumped for a minute, then blushed when a gunsmith said "Trick question. That's the lockwork from an FS2000."

As on cue, I said "You know who never designed lockwork like this?"

(The traditional response to the question of "You know who never designed _______ like this?" is "John Moses Browning.")

I burst out laughing when the hidebound gunsmith replied "George Kelgren? Bill Ruger? Eugene Stoner?"

Bartholomew Roberts
June 3, 2007, 06:17 PM
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7206084761/m/4461063123

Similar discussion.

Tamara
June 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I've futzed around with them plenty, and have come to the conclusion that an FTE is very nearly depot-level maintenance. (Of course, to be fair, the AR is capable of some horrific malfs too.) Add in the lack of meaningful backup irons, a horrific trigger pull, and clumsy mag changes, and what's not to like?

I was all excited to get my hands on one, but was pretty disappointed when the first one showed up. The shiny wore off in about thirty minutes of handling. Seeing the guts of the gun just sealed the deal.

FirstFreedom
June 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, and the "depot" is me spending a lot of time and effort, or paying a gunsmith.

Manedwolf
June 4, 2007, 03:29 PM
:eek:

Well. I'd been eyeing those. Might stick with my AK-101 with the folding stock, though. That one, clearing a malfunction, well...it's an AK. The armorer's kit for that is a screwdriver, hammer, or handy rock. ;)

Sturmgewehre
June 4, 2007, 03:36 PM
I love my FS2000. I've had a couple rounds fail to extract because it doesn't like Wolf all that much, but with a flip of the gas switch (high cycle) it works fine. When it malfunctioned, I just dropped the mag, locked th bolt to the rear, put the mag back in, let the charging handle go and I was back in business.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 5, 2007, 07:10 AM
I think the poster in the link above got the dreaded "old round partially extracted, new round jammed in under old round" stoppage. However, for a rifle that feeds from NATO STANAG mags (AR15 mags), you've got a bad combination.

You've got an aluminium magazine that we know will start to spit more than one round at a time as it gets old and the feed lips spread. Combine that with a rifle where that particular stoppage will require a lot more work to clear and you have a combo that will have people cussing your product for years when it does eventually happen.

For range use, you might never see the problem if you started with nice, new mags. For training or agency use though, where you get piles of mags in dubious condition I bet that problem pops up more frequently.

Billy Sparks
June 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
Speaking of which does anyone issue a FS2000 to there troops? I have one, haven't shot it yet (something about a lack of a range).

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine is working on a manual for clearing FTE, FTF probs in the FS2000 right now.

Cool gun.

WildbuteuroAlaska

Tamara
June 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
Cool gun.

In a Super Soaker, IWannaCoolGunVirus, CDI, sci-fi prop kinda way.

I love the all-plastic lockwork. :) (And the way the mags need a brisk tug to get them free from the magwell.)

Wildalaska
June 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
In a Super Soaker, IWannaCoolGunVirus, CDI, sci-fi prop kinda way.

Beats a Nagant revolver for lethality :)

WildtakethatanastasiaandthatandthatandthatthehellwiththisgimmeabayonettovarishAlaska

rockstar.esq
June 5, 2007, 10:43 PM
The thing that really gets me is that the dumb a$$e$ who designed it skipped the last shot bolt hold open! Why ignore a proven and immensely helpful feature that's been in gun designs since the 1890's? Absolute stupidity!

FS2K
June 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
I had some teething problems when mine was new. Drop the mag, rack the charging handle a couple of times, check to see if the chamber is clear through the "Toilet bowl cover" slap that magazine back home and continue shooting.

In the case of a broken shell or something like that, the entire firing mechanism seperates itself from the enclosed stock with the push of one button. It's easy and quick to get to IF something like that ever happened, but I haven't seen it in the time I've owned mine.

As for the bolt held open on the last shot, well yeah of course that's conveinient, but like my MP5 clone; if the gun doesn't have that feature, deal with it. It's no big deal to me. Depending on the magazines even my AK's don't hold the bolt open on the last shot.

Tamara
June 6, 2007, 09:16 AM
Drop the mag

There's some poetic license. ;)

Billy Sparks
June 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
In a Super Soaker, IWannaCoolGunVirus, CDI, sci-fi prop kinda way

Yeah I hate to admit it but that is one of the reasons I bought mine...:o

HorseSoldier
June 6, 2007, 04:57 PM
Speaking of which does anyone issue a FS2000 to there troops? I have one, haven't shot it yet (something about a lack of a range).

There aren't a bunch of takers to date yet on the military F2000. According to Wikipedia Slovenia issues them as standard, and a couple of South American countries (and Belgium) issue them to special operations units. The Saudi Arabian National Guard supposedly is buying 50,000 of them -- Wikipedia reports this as still rumor, but I think the deal is real.

RockStar3655
March 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
i have a fs2000 and it fires fine but it doesnt always take the next bullet in the chamber i have to cock it again why is it doin that