PDA

View Full Version : Taming the 300 Magnum

TheShootist1894
June 2, 2007, 08:39 AM
I have recently acquired a new Savage 116 fsak in the kickin 300 Win Mag, from the factory it cane with a 3/8" HARD rubber butt pad on it, I have not shot it yet but I know I want a recoil pad installed.
I want something that fits perfectly, not a slip on. Preferably not a sand to fit as this will only further delay my ability to shoot this gun arggg:(
I do not want a full 1" + pad as this will bring up cutting the stock to fit, thus more money and delays. . .
1/2-3/4" Pad, soft that absorbs the recoil instead of giving me the double kick.
Limbsavr
Kick ezz
Pachmayer
what else is there. . .

Jimro
June 2, 2007, 11:41 AM
Get a PAST recoil shield for now, it'll work with ALL your heavy kickers from the bench.

As far as buttpads go, I like ventilated pachmayers.

Jimro

taylorce1
June 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
+1 on PAST. I use it with pretty much all of my rifles for bench work. Really takes the bite out of all my heavy recoiling rifles.

lefteye
June 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Another vote for the PAST recoil shield as a temporary solution. Before I ever shot my Browning Stainless Stalker .300 Win Mag, I cut off the butt stock and installed a Pachmayr Decelerator 1" pad to give me a length of pull about one inch shorter than standard. Shortening the synthetic stock that much required making small epoxy blocks in the buttstock to accept the screws to hold the new recoil pad in place. Sanding is obviously a slow process. Final result was great. Despite my small size, I am able to shoot the .300 and have been very pleased with it on hunts in Wyoming and Montana.

odsixer
June 4, 2007, 05:28 PM
out of curiosity, does this gun have a muzzle brake?

also I have a pachmayer on my LIGHT savage 110 in 30-06 and it works great.

TheShootist1894
June 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yes the 116 FSAK has an adjustable muzzle brake on it.. . .

Slopemeno
June 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
Get a Pachmayer Sporting Clays or Deccelerator properly fitted to the gun. The 'smith can shorten your stock by 1/4"-1/2" and fit the recoil pad, thus saving the LOP, or fitting it to you.

zeisloft
June 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
I'd consider shooting it first. No sense in fixing it if it aint broke.
~z

BUSTER51
June 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
300 MAGS don't kick that hard try it first and see how it feels .

Charles S
June 5, 2007, 03:45 PM
The Limbsavr is one of the best recoil pads I have ever used. I currently have one on three different rifles. I highly recommend the Limbsavr.

I will also second the recommendation for a Past recoil shield, they work and you can use them in a number of applications.

tINY
June 7, 2007, 03:03 AM
If the brake is working - it shouldn't kick any harder than a 308.

-tINY

BIGR
June 7, 2007, 06:06 PM
I put a Pachmayer Deccelerator pad on my model 70 300 mag without any modifications. I shoot strong loads in it and don't have any problems with recoil.

OneShotOnly!
June 8, 2007, 02:51 AM
Guys I want to know whether it makes a difference in terms of bullet if you have 300 Win. Mag. or 300 Weatherby Mag.?

I ask this because a 300 Weatherby Mag is available to me, but not the bullets.

Also want to know the range and effectiveness difference between the two.

re_kenney
June 8, 2007, 03:03 AM
The Weatherby is slightly more powerful.
As I recall it will throw a slightly heavier round at about the same ballistics as the 300 Win Mag.

Its a sold 3% more powerful. I'm not sure 3% makes that much difference.
The 300 Win Mag is more readily available.

I'd would select a 300 Win Mag (or even the newer 300WSM) because they are more common. Common is good.

OneShotOnly!
June 8, 2007, 03:07 AM
can 300 Mag bullets be used interchangeably?

re_kenney
June 8, 2007, 03:40 AM
The cases are nearly identical in size (I think).
As I recall the 300 Wthby is a slightly longer round.
I'm not sure what would happen if you chamber a 300Win Mag in a 300Whtby rifle. The reverse certainly would not work.

Maybe someone else can answer the question of fire-forming the brass of a 300 Win Mag in a 300 Wthby rifle.

Charles S
June 8, 2007, 07:47 AM
can 300 Mag bullets be used interchangeably?

If your question is about the bullets, then yes they are both 30 caliber.

As far as the brass no you can not shoot 300 Winchester in a 300 Weatherby chamber and vice versa. The 300 Weatherby is a longer case.

fisherman66
June 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
I don't know if you have already bought, but I'd try to shoot one of the mags before I put money down on one. Some people love them, but not me. I think the 30'06 is a much better compromise between performance and recoil/muzzle blast. (And I still prefer something with a little less "meat at both ends".)

No attempt to take a stab at the maggie lovers, but a new shooter should build up to that level of recoil in my mind (even if it's just taking one out for a box of shells in a test drive).