PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant v. German Mauser

OneShotOnly!
June 2, 2007, 07:34 AM
Which is best to still shoot well and for collection?

OR

Get both, since it a multiple choice poll?

Tamara
June 2, 2007, 07:38 AM
Mosins are cheaper and therefore easier to collect and currently more popular with the proletariat, but there's nothing like a Mauser.

Even my Wiemar-refurbished Spandau '16 makes my nicest VKT M39 look a little crudely finished by comparison. (Of course that VKT will shoot rings around the Mauser for accuracy, even if it is saddled with the balky and recalcitrant Mosin bolt.)

OneShotOnly!
June 2, 2007, 07:42 AM
But the Mosin Nagant is like an Ak, that hardly needs cleaning and ammo is very cheap.

Tamara
June 2, 2007, 07:47 AM
The Mauser is no more sensitive to cleanliness than the Mosin, urban legend to the contrary, and in fact has a lot more powerful primary extraction. (Making it a lot less likely to suffer from balky spent cases. I know I've seen a lot more Mosins than Mausers need to be whacked open with a mallet.)

Also, 8mm Turk and Romanian surplus is about as cheap as any centerfire ammo you can buy.

Old Time Hunter
June 2, 2007, 07:57 AM
Let's see....hmmmm, $69 for a Mosin and lucky to find a Mauser for $200. Of course for that price, the Mauser is probably a Yugo (whether that makes a difference, I do not know). So for approximately the price of one Yugo...er, I mean Mauser, I can get all three variations of the Mosin (91/30, M44, and M38). But, the Mauser does actually look to be better built, hmmm....tell me more, tell me more.

Tamara
June 2, 2007, 08:04 AM
I can get all three variations of the Mosin (91/30, M44, and M38)

Only three variations of the Mosin? What about the M39? The M28 and 28/30? An Imperial '91?

I spent more on my M39 than I did on the aforementioned Spandau '16 Gew.98.

Besides, if cost is the deciding factor, you could pick up six rusty Glenfield 60s for what you'd pay for those three Mosins. ;)

It's obvious that I'm a little biased; after all, I do have four Mosins...

...and twelve Mausers. :)

OneShotOnly!
June 2, 2007, 08:05 AM
Old Time Hunter
The price is a factor. And if with one mauser's price I get three Mosin then thats something to think about. Right now I have three bolt actions:

Holland & Holland 7mm-Rem. Magnum
Brno .243
Zastava double trigger 7mm Mauser

Now I do have high end gun in the collection so that is not the point. Point which is more classic and cheap to shoot and less trouble all round.

Old Time Hunter
June 2, 2007, 08:18 AM
So for the price of 2 1/2 Mauser clones....I can get all seven Mosin models???

One question though, from every importer that I have seen, in both Mauser's and Mosin's it appears that the first 3 to 4 inches of the bore from the muzzle ends do not have rifling. Is that by design? I have checked out probably over 100 rifles in the last couple of weeks and even the clean, shiny bores seem to have disappearing rifling towards the muzzle end. Most of these have had fresh re-crowned barrels too. My WWI Mauser (direct from a relative in Germany back in the early 20's, guess under the treaty of Versailles he was supposed to turn it in but somehow sent it to my great-grandpa, according to his diary Uncle Fritz didn't shoot it very often since he was a procurement clerk), has rifling right to the very end.

Tamara
June 2, 2007, 08:24 AM
So for the price of 2 1/2 Mauser clones....I can get all seven Mosin models???

There're a lot more than just seven Mosin models, although nowhere near as many as there are Mausers. Many of them will set you back a lot more than a Yugo Mauser. A nice condition Remington-made Czarist-marked M1891 will fetch a sum equivalent to a decent no-import-marks byf 98k.

FWIW, if a Yugo M48 is a "Mauser clone", is my Hungarian M44 a "Mosin clone"? Also, I've been assuming that by "German Mauser" our thread originator meant a WWI/WWII 98/98k. I have German military Mausers in every configuration from an 11mm black powder single shot carbine to the familiar 98k of WWII. Mauser collecting is a big world.

As far as the rifling issues, I'd chalk that up to foreign drill sergeants.

FirstFreedom
June 2, 2007, 09:00 AM
I must say, I do like your multiple choice allowed polls - I just vote for everything on the list.

Otherwise, could not have voted, since you said "for collecting", and that's too vague/ambiguous to answer - generally, that would depend on (a) what you already have, (b) is it a good price or not for the particular type that you are contemplating buying, to add to your collection, and (c) just whichever one(s) happen to strike your fancy with a certain jene se qua, due to your historical interest, a mechanical feature, or other reason.

Then you also said to "still shoot well", which I *assume* (perhaps erroneously) means "still-shoot", which in turn I assume means to shoot from a rested (benched) position - is that what you mean? That's gonna depend on the particular gun and variant - it can vary widely from type to type and from gun to gun within a type. But like Tamara said, likely a German 98 or 98 karabiner will shoot better than your average Mosin (not to mention have a much smoother & quicker bolt action).

Tam: Occupation: Merchant of Death... tee hee. :)

Manedwolf
June 2, 2007, 09:45 AM
If you want a 91/30 for investment, or as projects to build and sell, finding good 91/30s and outfitting them properly with the right period sniper scope seems to be something of interest. I've seen those go for over $600, ever since the movie Enemy at the Gates made them into a hero gun. :)

srtrax
June 2, 2007, 10:04 AM
Voted Mauser, not as a collector but for the bases of customizing, See my custom gun project POST, not to take anything away from OneShotOnly's post,(the mausers were not collectors to start with) I like bolt rifles and Mausers, i could not collect them because i cant leave well enough alone!

p99guy
June 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
I own 3 Mosins (1940Tula 91/30, 1945 M44 with East German property marks, and a 1943 Izzy 91/30 PU..and the scout periscope used with them) and a Russian capture 1944 byf Mauser K98K at the moment.
I enjoy them all, but unlike the Mosin...the 98k action lived on in modern production rifles...I just purchased a brand new FN SPR A5M Special Police Rifle this week, built on the pre 64 Winchester M70 action....its a modern 1/2 M.O.A. 98K That Paul Mauser would be proud of. Most of the bolt action Hunting rifles out there pay homage to the Mauser.

In the WW2 vintage rifles you will find great examples of either one as well as worn out /abused beaters that shoot minute of barn on a good day, and everything in between. Most Mosins benefit greatly by polishing the tool marks gently off the sear engagement surfaces with a dremel tool(felt poishing wheel and jewelers rouge) While it dont do anything for the long spongy trigger takeup, it really makes the difference when you get back to the release point. (tetra gun grease helps too)
Collect the one that intrests you.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8294/20070529012on8.jpg

the 98 lives on...FN SPR A5M
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5499/20070529029nw8.jpg

2002gti
June 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
ive got several k98's and a bunch of mosins but i really like collecting the m39's. ive done alot of research on this model and i like the low production numbers on them. i still need a '69 no maker, a b barrel, and a few more sky's to round out the collection. the pricing will go up on both of these models with the k98 possibly rising quicker due to the higher demand. heres a few of my m39's:

'41 sako
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/mosin/HPIM0032.jpg

'67 no maker
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/hd0642/mosin/HPIM0010a.jpg

chris in va
June 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'll say this, which means practically nothing. But after having owned a Mosin m39 for a few months and dealing with that action, I was *shocked* when browsing the local gun store and fondling a $150 Mauser to find the action was butter smooth.

If there's such a thing as a 'carbine' version of the Mauser, shoot...that would be no contest.

Tamara
June 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
If there's such a thing as a 'carbine' version of the Mauser, shoot...that would be no contest.

Behold, not one but two (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2006/09/boomsticks-somehow-i-thought-youd-be.html) handy little Mauser carbines. :cool:

OneShotOnly!
June 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
Check out couple of Mosin and Mausers, but I must say Mosin seems more balanced gun whereas Masuers I saw today were beat and old.

Bigfatts
June 2, 2007, 02:51 PM
Mauser, hands down. Don't get me wrong I like Mosins and have a couple but you don't see modern companies basing their designs on them. I don't have statistics to back this up but I dare say that the Mauser is the most copied bolt action out there. This is kinda like the threads you see on the Mini 14 vs AR.

jhgreasemonkey
June 2, 2007, 04:28 PM
I like the mausers better. They seem to be more finely crafted where the mosins are crude. Many of the century arms international "arsenal refurbished" mosins come with headspace problems. Which is another reason I chose the mauser. It seems you have a higher chance of getting a bad mosin than a mauser. Plus the 8mm is a little more interesting to me than the 7.62x54r. Theres nothing wrong with that round but its pretty common lately and the appeal of the 8mm if you know the history is pretty cool.
On the other hand im a little biased because I got burned in the past on a mosin that had too many problems to even safely operate. It was one of the Cai arsenal refurbished ones and I came to find out other people have had the same issue with these. So personaly I would go with a mauser.

Jseime
June 2, 2007, 07:39 PM
There is a reason that there are hundreds and hundreds of copies of the mauser rifle out there... it is the best built bolt action EVER. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

Ill but a remington to shoot targets and varmints but when I need ultimate reliability in the deer field I'll take that Ruger with the mauser style extractor thank you very much.

bennnn
June 2, 2007, 09:16 PM
For me,,, I voted both..... I'll take ten of each please... (I do have that extra RC Mauser for you,,, G23/40... PM me..)

But really,, I love both of them the same.. I can't imagine having anything less than one of each,, and that's just the beginning...

BTW,, I mean one from each arsenal,, each year,, each country.....

OK,, I'm a friggin mil-surp nut...... Shoot me,,, just not with a Mauser please....

Since we're posting pics,,,,,,,,,,, Here's an old '91 Izzy,,, Finn re-work,, counter bored,, Finn front sight,,, struck out arshins on the RSB,,,

51 1/2" of fun........... How could a guy like me not love Four feet + of rifle?

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3400/finnmosin02001dj0.jpg

DnPRK
June 2, 2007, 09:46 PM
Finding a wartime mauser with matching numbers, an unpitted bore and good price is very, very rare. If that opportunity presents itself, don't hesitate just buy it.

bennnn
June 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
It's not that rare man,, you just have to know where/when to look...

They're out there, why,, do you want one?

oldbillthundercheif
June 2, 2007, 11:13 PM
I like both, I own both, but I shoot my Mauser more often than my Mosin-Nagant. I like the action and looks of it better than my rooski and I shoot it a little better as well. It may just be the ammo, though. Most of the 8mm I shoot is new-production but I have not shot any 7.62x54R other than old surplus out of my M-N yet. It may grow on me, I've only had it a few months.

As far as reliability, I have not seen any problems with M-Ns yet but my buddy Pat had to kick the bolt of his Mauser open once. Of course he was using crusty old kraut WWII-surplus ammo that looked like it had been at the bottom of a lake since the war. A case split, it wasn't the rifle's fault.

bennnn
June 2, 2007, 11:35 PM
Mosin-Nagant v. German Mauser
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/5149/europeanfoes01001js7.jpg

Widder
June 2, 2007, 11:37 PM
I have three Russina Mosins (M91/30, M44 and M38) and three Mausers (German K98 bcd '44, Yugo M24/47, Czech VZ24). I like all of them, but the Mausers are nicer to shoot. The action and bolt are much smoother and easier to use. Shooting the Mosins soon turns into work with that problematic bolt. I can shoot the Mausers for much longer without getting tired.

OneShotOnly!
June 3, 2007, 05:26 AM
Is the effective range a factor between the two?

I have heard that Mosin 7.62x54 R has far superior range over any Mauser. True?

Kreyzhorse
June 3, 2007, 05:42 AM
Tough call. The Mosins are abundant and cheap now, much like the SKS used to be. I bought a 1951 Russian SKS for something like $99 years ago and they are much more expensive now. The price on the Mosins will eventually go up.

The German Mauser, which I intent to add to my collection, are awesome guns but I haven't found one yet that made me buy it. I will though.

I passed on a Swiss K-31 for something like $79 and eventually bought one for around $150. When supply is short and demand is up, you know what happens.

My suggestion would be grab a nice Mosin now, which is easy to do, and buy a Mauser when you find one that calls to you.

Tamara
June 3, 2007, 08:20 AM
I have heard that Mosin 7.62x54 R has far superior range over any Mauser. True?

False.

obxned
June 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
Get the Mauser! I think its value will rise enough to justify the higher price, and they are one of the most significant guns in history. They also shoot very well!

Manedwolf
June 3, 2007, 01:13 PM
I passed on a Swiss K-31 for something like $79 and eventually bought one for around $150. When supply is short and demand is up, you know what happens.

They're now up about $200 for one that doesn't look like beavers have been at it.

45reloader
June 3, 2007, 01:46 PM
OneShotOnly

For under $400.00 Mosin

If you have $600.00 Mauser collector grade.

I have a $260.00 Mauser that is not really in as good of shape as it should be at that price.

On the other hand I have Mosin's that are $99.00 and VERY nice.

44 AMP
June 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
While I have had (and still do own a couple) of Moisins, I have owned dozens of Mausers or Mauser derivatives, from military issue condition to complete custom rifles in calibers ranging from .22-250 to .458 Win Mag.

Nearly every bolt action that uses dual front locking lugs can trace its origin back to the rifles of Mauser. Even rifles that do not use the Mauser claw extractor (like Remingtons) are still using the basic Mauser bolt system.

The US Springfield, and Enfield, and the Japanese Arisaka are Mauser 98 clones (with minor variance), and the bulk of the world's sporting bolt actions is Mauser or Mauser influenced.

The Moisin Nagant rifles are interesting historical peices, and can be fun to shoot, but nobody uses the design as a basis for anything currently made, unlike the Mauser.

40 years ago, Mausers (and copies) were the cheap milsurp guns, and we bought and played with a lot of them. Today the Moisin Nagant is the cheap milsurp, and we have bought a lot of them. Tomorrow, there won't be any more cheap milsurp guns, so enjoy what we have today, and preserve what we can for our children and grandchildren, because the days of surplus rifles are ending forever.

None of the main rifles used by armies in the last half century will ever be sold to US consumers at the cheap prices currently, and most will never be legal for private citizens to own, as the assault rifle is the current military standard, and actual assault rifles are legally machineguns in this country, and since no new machineguns have been allowed for civilian sale since 1986, you won't see any more "surplus rifles" available to us again. Once the bolt actions (and the few semi-autos) are gone, they are gone for good. What will be left is junker "bubba-ised" guns, actual quality sporter conversions (which nobody seems to want much these days) and "collector" guns, at collector prices. Enjoy then while you can, I enjoy mine!

Old Time Hunter
June 3, 2007, 06:42 PM
So 44AMP, are you suggesting that we horde as much as we can? If you have $ 500 max to spend, would you get one Yugo Mauser and one Mosin?

Tamara
June 4, 2007, 06:05 AM
If I had $500 max to spend and I wanted to spend it on milsurps, I would not go to a gun store or a catalog/online retailer.

I would take a bore light and go to a gun show.

Here's just some of my finds in the past couple years: Chilean Mauser M1895 carbine, $225; Finnish Sako M28 Mosin, $175; Spandau '16 Gew.98, $125.

Heck, there's two Mausers and a Mosin that will be fun to shoot and will actually appreciate in the years to come, and you're only $25 over budget.

dfaugh
June 4, 2007, 06:56 AM
Definitely prefer Mausers. So much so that I sold all but one of my Mosins, as I rarely shot them. Most Mausers are more of a "precision" built gun, compared to a Mosin, which is more like a club that shoots bullets:D. Plus, I could never get past the Mosin "safety" (What? I have to put the gun into battery before I can put it on safe?).

Cosmoline
June 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
As noted, there are many dozens of Mosin-Nagant models with hundreds of subtypes. Quality varies from shot out 91/30's to Civil Guard M-28/30's. Mausers, for their part, include so many types there's a huge expensive book dedicated to them--Military Mauser Rifles of the World. There are more kinds than you can imagine, from wee carbines to Mausers with curved barrels for shooting around trench corners.

In the current collector's market, you can generally get a better value on Mosins than Mausers. So if you're wondering which rare models to focus on I'd say Mosins for certain.

dionysusigma
June 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
I had an M44. I currently have a Yugo M48.

But that is no basis for my preference. I'm in the middle of building a mid-length AR-15, and when that's done, (and once I've picked up the snubby Enfield revolver I've had my eye on), I'm going to try to get another Mosin. Probably a 91/30 or M38, since I'm not that big a fan of the bayonet.

I wouldn't mind an Imperial 91 at all, though... nor a Remington... or Finn... or PU... :eek::o

RedneckFur
June 4, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'd say look around and see what you can find. I doubt you'll be disapointed in either rifle.

There are some cheap mausers still out there to be found. I picked up a Czech brno today for only $75, in very good condition. You can pick up a Mosin Nagant for $150 un issued, and in used condtion for as low as $60.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/RedneckFur/Mauser1.jpg
I havent shot her yet...but not a bad looker for only $75!

44 AMP
June 5, 2007, 12:46 AM
Get a bore light, and go to the gun shows. Also keep an eye on the nickel want ads, and the used racks at the gun shops. AND, know what you are looking at (always the hard part).

I am not suggesting hoarding, (what does that really mean anyway?) but if I had $500 to spend on milsurps, I would expect to wind up with 3 or four rifles, but then, everything costs more today than it used to, so I likely wouldn't wind up with what I expected when I started out.

Last summer, I bought 2 rifles for $150, private sale (nickel want ads), a SMLE No.4 and a Moisin Nagant M38, both in excellent condition. Just to make you all envious, within the last few years I have obtained a 1917 Swede Mauser infantry rifle ($100), a 1917 SMLE No 3 ($100), a VZ 24 (which I gave a disabled vet $100 for when they sold for $75), a Kar 98K ($60), a Yugo M48 ($80) and an SVT 40 Tokarev ($125) Also a Webley Mk VI for $125. It took more than a bit of patience, but they are still out there, at prices below what you find in shops or on the net.

Just remember that no matter what you wind up paying for them, they aren't making any more, and the prices are going nowhere but up, as the supply dries up.

And if you really want to be disgusted, a close friend of mine found a mint 1903 Springfield for $40 at a Portland area yard sale. They had two rifles, a .22 they wanted $100 for, and the "old army rifle", for $40! I offered him a fair profit, but he wouldn't sell it to me.:D

Old Time Hunter
June 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, today I found a bunch of Mausers, of which all but two had some terribly abused wood. They actually looked almost a "black cherry" color and appeared to have pounded in quite a few fence poles. The positive was that they had all German markings, even eagles stamped on the tops of the receivers. They were priced from $329.00 to $499.00

The other two, one of which looked exactly like bennn's in his picture, and the other without the round do-hickey on the stock but with a top hand guard that went all the way back to the receiver. Both had exceptionally sharp rifling and shiney bores. The first had a dark rough feeling action, workable but notchy and it appears the extracter spring has been replaced (it has purple hue to it), the second was slicker than snot on a door knob and the entire action was shiney and bright. The first had a stamped crest on the top of the receiver that designated Yugoslovia and the magazine plate on the bottom had the German markings ground off. The second one also had the German markings ground or stamped over with a crest that my research tells me is Romanian.

The first one goes for $249.00 and the second for $289.00, Any opinions?

Oh yea, the stocks on both of these are almost blonde with strong wood grain.

OldShooter
June 5, 2007, 07:11 PM
I have three Mosins and 2 Mauser. But don't stop there: Enfield, Springfield 03, Crag, Garand...

Tamara
June 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
But don't stop there:

I agree!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24819&stc=1&d=1181096783

Of course, the picture's a bit out of date. That's from back when the milsurps were only one row deep...

On second thought, do stop there! Once you get started, there's no going back!

dogngun
June 6, 2007, 05:35 AM
Buy any old 98 Mauser, take it apart and study the design.
It's a gem.The 98 Mauser is the basis for everything that came after it, and is the best there is.
Get an old one just to have one around , just in case.

Yes, I like them.

Mark

Davis
June 6, 2007, 06:29 AM
Mauser is not the basis of a whole lot anymore. Most rifles on the market today are push feed rifles like the Mosin, not controlled round feed like the Mauser. Most rifles don't use the Mauser safety and almost none have the third safety lug. The dual-upposed front locking lugs is a feature shared by both the Mosin and Mauser (though the locked position generally is the same as the Mauser). Both rifles are cock-on-opening, which the Mosin was doing years before the M98. In truth, the only Mauser innovations currently being used on most rifles are not 98 innovations, like the internal box magazine and the closed-bridge design. Most early hunting rifles were Mauser clones, but most current hunting rifles bear very little relationship to the Mauser any more. Ironically, most modern sporter rifles are just as closely related to the M91 Carcano than the Mauser, sharing just as many features (if not more) with the Carcano as the Mauser.

That said, of course the Mauser is a wonderful design and is certainly more elegant a design in many ways than the Mosin, which is a much simpler design. As far as collectability goes, how can anyone say one is better than the other?

I have no interest in South American Mausers, would not pay the insane prices they go for, and given the high prices they command, cannot see them as a good investment (a CD will earn you more). Ditto for original German non RC Mausers. They just won't increase in value at any kind of decent rate to be an investment.

Yet, there are a vast number of Mauser variants, and if your collecting is in a technical direction, then having every variation of the M91, M95, M96, and M98 Mausers can be quite a long endeavor (ideal for collecting as you may never be finished with the hobby). The same goes for history, as you can focus on many different realms of study and still collect a Mauser.

However, the Mosin has the same draw. I collect Finnish Mosins, which are rarer than most Mausers by many orders of magnitude. A common Finn is still less than 70,000 in production, most being much less. A rare Mauser might be 50,000 (compared to 500 SAT M91's or 3,000 Tikka Stepped barrels). The Finnish use of Mosins is one of the most daring and inspiring stories of WWII. The Americans issued the Mosin as the M1916 for the invasion of Russia, the Czechs used it in the Czech legion, and it was the weapon of choice in the early days of the Cold War by many in the iron curtain. Many US GI's faced it on a variety of battlefields in the 20th Century. And that doesn't even count the Soviet history with them, which is no more evil than the German history with the K98k.

Historically speaking, the M91/30 is every bit as legitimate a collector's piece as the K98k. I would argue that the Finnish Mosin is far MORE collectible as the Germans LOST more Mausers to the Russians than the entire Finnish Mosin production, all models, combined. The RC Mauser is far more common a beast than the most common M39. In the end, they are equally collectible. And, at the present time, neither are better investments (though in the 1990's, the Finnish Mosin was undoubtably the best Milsurp investment, with $50 rifles increasing in value to more than $500 today.

Davis

mordechaianiliewicz
June 6, 2007, 04:24 PM
Get bent bolt Mosins. Preferably matching numbers. And preferably scoped.(My .02 cents)

As to the power and range issue, all rifles of the WWI era were designed around the idea of shooting enemies who were atleast 500 yards away. Old Enfields had a setup that allowed a person to volley fire with the rest of his platoon @ 2000 yards!

All those cartridges are serious long range cartridges. Whether .303 Brit, .30-06, 7.62x54R, 7.92x57mm, 7x57mm, or 6.5x55mm, you are talking about a long range cartridge capable of serious damage even at extreme long range. The real question is are you capable and is the gun still capable of what it could do in the 00s through the 40s when it was in heavy use.

bennnn
June 6, 2007, 05:30 PM
the other without the round do-hickey on the stock but with a top hand guard that went all the way back to the receiver.

for $289.00??

Old Time Hunter
June 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
Ok, today I ran across a gent with three Mosins, M91/30, M38, and an M44 along with a Yugo M48. All four rifles have exceptionally bright bores with sharp rifling. All have very nice wood with minimum of dents and dings. None have any missing parts, but do have accessories like bayonettes (all four) and leather slings.

Guy said he would take $500 for all four, what do ya think?

RedneckFur
June 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
I say go for it. Doesnt sound like a bad deal to me

Tamara
June 6, 2007, 11:29 PM
I have no interest in South American Mausers, would not pay the insane prices they go for, and given the high prices they command, cannot see them as a good investment

FWIW, my Argentinean, Chilean, and Venezuelan Mausers were made by DWM, Ludwig Loewe, and FN, respectively. All were bought in the last three years, and I didn't pay over $225 for any of them. If I was patient, I could probably get $1300 out of the threesome. If you know of any CD's giving a 100% return in that time period, I'm all ears. ;)

I got good deals on the VKT M39 and Sako M28 I bought in the same time period, but not that good. If anything, it's probably Finns that are a little overheated in the market right now, since the easy supply of imports is freshly dried up...

chris in va
June 7, 2007, 12:49 AM
Good grief Tamara, that's a lot of milsurps. :D

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes open for a carbine. I have a thing for carbines, not sure why.

Davis
June 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
Oh, I know the contract of the SA Mausers. My point was that their history has no interest for me, one military junta is the same as another, but someone fascinated with that history, they are wonderful collectors' items. If one hunts and pecks, one can find bargains and then sell them for higher. I bought a Finnish 1926 Tikka M91 for $50 and sold it for $700. I have appraised my Finnish collection, and it has risen in value at such an astounding rate, I wish I had bought alot more. $75 for an M39 that goes for $275 five years later, $50 for M91's that are bringing in better than $300 today, etc. The trouble is, if you buy an M91 for $300 today, it will not perform in anyway close to what it would have if bought 5 years ago. The same can be said for K98k's and other Mausers.

The point is we didn't pay market value for the firearms, your Mausers or my Finnish Mosins, but rather bought them at a discount. Selling at current market brings a good return to be certain. However, if you buy at current value, then there is no good return on Mausers at present. They have reached that point where they will increase in value at a modest rate, but nothing spectacular. For instance, a LeMat revolver that cost around $50 new can be valued somewhere between $15,000 and $25,000 today. A lot of money, but when you figure the interest on the investment, it's really not all that great of a return, only about 3-4%. All milsurps will rise in value, of course, and are a far better place to put money than a car. But in general, Mausers and Mosins are probably not where the money is. I'm not a fan of them, but the Schmidt-Rubens are were the good money should be going these days, as well as Yugo SKS's.

Davis

Old Time Hunter
June 7, 2007, 05:04 PM
Got offered two Yugo SKS's today...$100 a piece. Good wood and bright bores with sharp rifling. Not for me....guess I am too old, they did not warm up to me.

Question: Is a Yugo M48 ok? Or should I hold out for the real banana? I am seriously contemplating the $500 deal for three Mosins and an M48

Widder
June 17, 2007, 10:42 PM
The $500 for three Mosins and a M48 is nothing special, at least here in CA. You can buy the Mosins for about $90 each at Big 5 any day (that's for rearsenaled ones with bright bores). That leaves $230 for the M48. Big 5 periodically has the Yugo M24/47, which some say is better made than the M48, for $99. Of course, in your neck of the woods, prices may be different.

frankxd
June 18, 2007, 07:45 AM
For collecting- K98
For shooting- M39 Finnish Mosin

;)

Old Time Hunter
June 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
Bought a 91/30 and a M44....for two cases of beer! The 91/30 has strong rifling all the way to the muzzle and slugged at .3105. Just finished, refinishing the stock. Stripped, re stained (Honey Oak), tung oil finish....still have to wax it. Shot about ten rounds out of it yesterday, it was all over the place, brought it home and re-crowned it. Will check it out later this week. If it can't at least get a 3" group, I'll get rid of it. Working on the M44, it actually looked better but after the 91/30 turned out so nice, I think I'll refinish it also. Bore sluggs at .312, a little large, and it also has been counter bored about an inch back from the muzzle. Oh yea, all the numbers match on these critters.

Also looking for a M38...then I can complete my Russian Army display case since it only holds eight rifles (that'll give me a M95 Winchester 7.62 X 54R, the 91/30, the M38, the M44, the SKS, and my most despised gun...an AK 47). Of course they all have to shoot.

Then I can start on my German display case. Still holding out from purchasing a Mauser, gotta M48 Yugo if I want it for $200 or a k98 for $400 (but it is beat up).

Tamara
June 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
that'll give me a M95 Winchester 7.62 X 54R

I hate you.

Jimro
June 18, 2007, 08:47 PM
I saw an original 1895 in 7.62x54r with pristine russian arsenal marks at the Puyallup Gun Show a few years back.... If I'd had $1,100 I wouldn't have even tried to haggle.

That was a beautiful piece of wood and steel.

Jimro

Old Time Hunter
June 19, 2007, 09:14 PM
Ok people....the top one is my 91/30 I got last week for a case of beer, washed with murphy's oil soap, stripped the stock, re-stained golden oak plus two coats of tung oil, blue wonder and 0000 steel wool on the metal components, then buffed lightly with metal polish. RemOiled all the metal parts.

Should I do the same with the M44? It is in original condition other than the Murphy's oil soap bath.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/OTH_2006/Mosin-Nagants.jpg