PDA

View Full Version : Action choice.

OneShotOnly!
June 1, 2007, 07:16 AM
What type of action is most liked by you guys?

Please keep in mind that we are not talking combat. Occasional self defense ok, but mostly just to have it in the collection as something you can count on.

629 shooter
June 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
I am pretty much an accuracy nut and went with the bolt action. It is the only type of centerfire rifle I own currently. But would not mind having at all owning a semi-auto Rock River A4 Varmint! Owned a couple of Marlin lever actions in the past and have plans to aquire one again.

srtrax
June 1, 2007, 09:40 AM
I like a well designed singleshot lever gun,( Ruger #1, Win. high & low walls, and stevens 44 1/2 & 44) but i would have to say that the bolt action rules my gun safe.

Csspecs
June 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
I'd take three round burst over ANY ACTION. :D

Sadly it is something I can't have.

Full-choke
June 1, 2007, 12:11 PM
Bolt Action all the way. I was raised on the bolt, I'm faster and more accurate on one. I think it depends a lot on what you are used to and what style you enjoy most.

taylorce1
June 1, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'm well past my "Spray and Pray" days. I like hunting and the best rifle for that is a quality bolt action. I do have a soft spot for single shots and lever actions though. My favorite .22 lr is an old Win Model 06 pump action.

ch47gunner
June 1, 2007, 03:33 PM
Voted Bolt.

I have only one semi rifle left - a Custom 10/22. All the rest are bolts.

Mike U.
June 1, 2007, 05:56 PM
Since very decent accuracy is obtainable from semi-auto rifles, I wanted to choose that. But, I had to go with the three burst option because how could one NOT like that in a rifle? 99% of my shooting is recreational and target shooting so having that added fun factor is too tempting to resist if it was obtainable for me.
I'd choose pump and then lever action as number's two and three in my favorite action types category.
Nothing at all wrong with a good bolt gun, especially if driving tacks is your love and joy. Out of all of the firearm actions, I believe it is the most bomb-proof of the action types. Having excellent accuracy as a trait ain't too shabby either. :eek: :D

revjen45
June 1, 2007, 06:18 PM
I was taught to shoot a rifle by a retired U.S.Army major who knew Col. Townsend Whelan and had been the Provost Marshall at the war crimes trials in Japan after WW2. The issue battle rifle when he was in the Army was the 03 Springfield. When operated properly a boltgun is not really all that slow, and they are reliable with different loads and more accurate than most people can shoot. My favorite rifle is a Krag.

Plink
June 1, 2007, 06:27 PM
I had to choose bolt action. I mostly shoot just for fun and bolt guns just work better for me. I'm an accuracy fanatic too, and they appeal to me for that reason. I like autoloaders for general plinking, but for any serious work, I'll almost always reach for a bolt gun. Full auto? Eh, waste of ammo IMO.

RevolverLover
June 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm going to have to say bolt but thats closely followed by the lever action.

OneShotOnly!
June 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
I think Bolt Action for modern guns, but Lever Action for collectables. :cool:

mooky
June 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
I love semi-auto rifles (and have a few) but I voted lever action. Something about my good old Winchester that just speaks to me. Everytime I go out shooting (with all my fancy modern hardware), I always end up thiking "dang, shoulda brought the Winchester too".

And, obviously, there is NOTHING wrong with a good bolt gun (have lotsa those).

jhgreasemonkey
June 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
Voted bolt for favorite reliable work horse/survival rifle. But I would be pretty bored only being able to use one. Sometimes I have the most fun with semi auto and lever action so I wouldnt want to swear those off.

bcrash15
June 2, 2007, 07:16 PM
I prefer bolt as well. Just something about working the action that just makes it feel so right. Of course, I could pretty much make the same comment about lever action guns, but I don't currently own any of them. Not to say I don't appreciate semi-auto, you can have a great time with them as well, just occasionally feels like something is missing.

Jseime
June 2, 2007, 07:31 PM
For deer and other big game I'm a bolt man.

Coyotes...bolt
Smaller than Coyotes... Cant beat a Semi-auto .22lr.

SteelCore
June 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
Which one I'd choose would depend on the distance I'd be shooting at.

For long distances (say, beyond 500 yards or so) bolt action is what I'd prefer, since there's usually better accuracy potential.

If I somehow knew the distances were going to be short (say, inside 25 yards), then I'd prefer a 5.56. A full-auto option couldn't hurt at such short distances, although you can still shoot extremely fast on semi-auto (300+ rpm) if your trigger isn't too heavy.

If I were in a combat zone and could only have ONE rifle for all ranges, it would be a semi-auto .308 with mags of reasonable capacity.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that you said we're not talking combat. Oh well... :o

OneShotOnly!
June 3, 2007, 08:51 AM
I guess it more depends on what one is shooting for. I am a fully auto with option of controlled 3 brust guy, but for hunting bolt action. For target shooting semi auto (308), and level just to have it in the collection.

Old Time Hunter
June 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
Lever.....both repeaters or single shots. Then a Trapdoor. Suppose the bolts would come in third. Mattel guns last, to each their own, but I don't care for them.

OneShotOnly!
June 3, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Old Time Hunter...
I used to live in UP so travelled through WI.... nice to have Lever Action there. Kind of goes with the who woods thing.

Old Time Hunter
June 3, 2007, 11:48 AM
OSO, Why would anyone on God's green earth move away from the U.P.? If you are already there, you should of stayed. They still have "old" growth forests there and NO urban blight.

Besides, levers are AMERICAN...all else is of foreign origin.

obxned
June 3, 2007, 12:56 PM
I love all the actions listed, but nothing will seat or extract 'problem' ammo like a bolt gun!

AK103K
June 3, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'll take the select fire auto option. Nothing wrong with all the others, but I like having an "option", and the auto will do everything the others can do, and a little more. :)

FirstFreedom
June 3, 2007, 01:36 PM
I have to say, I do love semi-autos, primarily for recoil-reduction reasons, notsomuch for quickness of follow ups - since a good turnbolt or pump is not really any slower in getting on target. I really like my shotguns in semi-auto form, again for recoil reduction - the bigger the boomer, the more recoil-reduction is important. I have three semi-auto shotguns for this reason.

But in addition to semi-autos, I really really like turnbolts, for a variety of reasons.

-Strong actions & lockup - they can contain reloading boo-boos and keep you safer than other action types.
-Positive extraction - most models have super strong extraction grip.
-Related to that, reliably cycling (in both directions), in dirty conditions
-Aesthetics - they are pretty and traditional to my eye.
-Lightweight
-Fast - maybe not quite as fast as a pump, but only a few milliseconds behind, with a smooth, short action (assuming you are practised to not let the scope foul up your cycling etc.). I think with practice, they are neck in neck with a levergun with practice, assuming a smooth action.
-Accurate - turnbolts are correctly famed for their accuracy.
-Many milsurps are turnbolts, and I like milsurps, so I like turnbolts.

But I like them all - I have single shots, levers, and pumps too. And straight-pull bolts.