PDA

View Full Version : New Galils (Century Golani)

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 04:32 AM
I read a write-up in a gunrag about these and they look fairly nifty. What do y'all know about Century International Arms?

The Galil was an interesting variation on the AK design and I must admit I've always wanted one. This new one looks the part but I can't help wondering if they just mutilated an AK74 receiver to look like a galil, or went all-out and faithfully reproduced the real deal.

Are Galil magazines cheap and/or easy to find?

selector67
June 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
I've heard mixed reviews for the Galils built by Century Arms, the ones built using Ohio Rapid Fire receivers are good. http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=3575675.21120*7X3QA7&p_id=01944&ppinc=big http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=180 As far as magazines.//www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Isreali_Galil_35rd_Orlite_.223_5.56x45_Magazine.html

Manedwolf
June 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
Waste of money. They cost more than a brand-new Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-106 AK, and the barrel isn't even chromelined! (Bet the article didn't mention that.)

If you want to spend that much on an AK, get the Arsenal one. They're brand-new, extremely accurate, have a two-stage trigger and all the other nice upgrades plus the same Galil foreend, and the folding solid-stock on them is amazing.

And yes, that model, the 106, is 5.56 as well. The Bulgarian waffle magazines, one of which comes with it, are, IMO, the best ever made.

HorseSoldier
June 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
The couple examples I've seen locally are going for about $1000, which is about the same money you'd pay for a 5.56mm AK from Krebs Customs. There are some nice features on the Galil, but that price tag for a kit built rifle from Israeli military surplus seems like it's asking a lot. The fact that it is associated with Century makes it even dicier, though it seems like there have not been any horror stories about the Golani cropping up yet.

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 11:40 AM
The gunrag said $799 so I figure they would be a good deal less than that at my local high-volume gunshop. Do these $1K ones have walnut stocks or something?

I'm sure the Arsenal AKs are nice, but I already have a traditional AK or two and the 5.56 chambering is not a plus for me. This Galil knock-off is only appealing to me because it is not "just another AK".

If Century made a .308 Galil copy, I don't know if I could control myself. As it stands, I'm on the fence.

Manedwolf
June 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
Again, the Golani is just a bunch of used surplus Israeli parts with a new receiver, and for that $799, the barrel is not even chromelined.

It's not a real Galil. IMO, you could do better with your own parts kit.

And Century, well...they're hardly gunsmiths, let's just say that.

BUSTER51
June 1, 2007, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't trust the monkey's at Century ,spend a few bucks more and get a good one .

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
What other Galils are out there?

"A good one" is not real specific and I could probably count all the Galils I've ever seen in the US on one hand. So who else is cranking these out besides "the monkey's (sic) at Century"?

I'm not looking to make my own and the RapidFire ones are $1700 ferchristsake.

Manedwolf
June 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
Get a Galil parts kit like this one for $350 or so, with a NEW barrel, there's others out there:
http://www.armsofamerica.com/partskits.html

Get a good receiver, and build your own.

As it is, the Goliani is paying the Century people another $450 to assemble (with questionable skill) that same parts kit with a domestic receiver, so it's not even really a Galil and never will be, it's just a Galil parts kit on a US-made reciever.

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
I just wrote that I'm not looking to make my own, but you apparently did not catch that. So I'll say it again...

I'm not interested in making my own.

You have had your say about how awful Century is, manwolf, and I'm glad you went out of your way to tell me this, but now I want to know my other options.

So what are my options besides Rapidfire ($$$) and the dreaded Century?

Manedwolf
June 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
I do not know of anyone else currently making Galil lookalikes for sale, no.

However, as to "making your own", there are quite a number of good AK-specialized smiths out there who will assemble your receiver and parts kit for you for $250 or even less, giving you a complete gun.

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 02:12 PM
That's an interesting option. I'll have to dig into this a bit more...

Wildalaska
June 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
Bill I am not a Century fan myself but have sold several galils and they are nice.

WildgoodexamplesAlaska

Trapp
June 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
Not all of Century's work is crap. In fact, I would say that their crap work is a thing of the past.

Look at the Yugo underfolders. Prime example of RECENT quality built guns from Century.

I am guessing the bad reviews of the Galil from Century come from people like "Manedwolf". I am sure he has never handled one. I have to say neither have I...

As far as having it built, the receivers are pretty expensive last time I looked. I don't believe you will save much money at all.

As far as what their (Century's) builds consist of, keep in mind 922r. A certain amount of parts are American. They have to be in order to be legal. Also the recent enforcement of "not importing surplus barrels". I'd bet the barrel is new along with the receiver and trigger group.

As far as not chrome lined barrels? Well, I have never had an issue with it. In fact, when I have a choice I opt for non-chrome lined barrels.

Just looked....$350 for the receiver. No parts kits available with a barrel. Those kits cost $250......
Plus another $150 for the barrel. Plus $250 to assemble.......Hmm.....

smenkhare
June 1, 2007, 04:24 PM
who are century?
I thought the Galil's were made in house by IMI?

Manedwolf
June 1, 2007, 04:25 PM
who are century?

Century is an importer. You cannot import an intact Galil into the United States, it's illegal, they're automatic weapons. So the receivers are destroyed and the rest of the parts are imported, new guns are built from the old parts and a US-made semi-only reciever, and it's sold.

HorseSoldier
June 1, 2007, 05:30 PM
The gunrag said $799 so I figure they would be a good deal less than that at my local high-volume gunshop. Do these $1K ones have walnut stocks or something?

The ones I've seen have just been your basic black plastic furniture models. Admittedly I've only seen them at one local gun store and a couple at the last gun show I was at, so the $1000-ish price tag I'm seeing may just reflect their status as a new EBR to play with. For an MSRP of $799, and maybe a $100-200 less than that in the actual store, I'd say they're probably well worth it at that price if no one has been noting major problems with them.

RevolverLover
June 1, 2007, 07:18 PM

Actually, Israeli Galil's are currently made by Israel Weapon Industries (IWI). IWI is a former division of IMI.

Wildalaska
June 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
msrp ON THOSE GUNS IS $999.

wILDTHENUMBERSDUDEaLASKA

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think you need to have a talk with Holt Bodinson of "Guns" magazine, Wild.

It says $799 in the plainest of terms.

Crosshair
June 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Can one attack a scope to these new Galil's? I have not seen a photo of the left side of the receiver to see if it has a scope rail or something.

RevolverLover
June 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
Can one attack a scope to these new Galil's? I have not seen a photo of the left side of the receiver to see if it has a scope rail or something.

Doesn't appear to come with a side mounted scope rail.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8023509

oldbillthundercheif
June 1, 2007, 11:56 PM
Why would you attack a poor, helpless scope?:D

Wildalaska
June 1, 2007, 11:59 PM
I think you need to have a talk with Holt Bodinson of "Guns" magazine, Wild.

Gun rags dont set MSRP

Manufacturers/distribs do

Know what they cost ?:)

WildmoretruthsfromthepressAlaska

Billy Sparks
June 2, 2007, 04:54 AM
Yeah most gun writers quote the MSRP seeing as how they didn't purchase the gun they have no real idea what it really costs. It is like reading a car review and the reviewer says "Car X similarly equipped costs Y amount of money" you may or may not buy it for that. It is all supply and demand.

HorseSoldier
June 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
Actually, Israeli Galil's are currently made by Israel Weapon Industries (IWI). IWI is a former division of IMI.

Are the Israelis still making Galils? I was under the impression the surplus kits turning up reflected the end of its service life, with M16s and M4s making it mostly extinct in the first place, and the Tavor finishing it off.

(Parenthetically, Tavors are, apparently, for sale in Canada.)

RevolverLover
June 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
Are the Israelis still making Galils? I was under the impression the surplus kits turning up reflected the end of its service life, with M16s and M4s making it mostly extinct in the first place, and the Tavor finishing it off.

(Parenthetically, Tavors are, apparently, for sale in Canada.)

As far as I know, the Galils are still being made by IWI. They still list them on thier website. I know for a fact that Galils are still being used in Israel but they are not as widespread as the M16/M4's. I still don't think the Tavors have been issued wide spread yet.

http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.asp?catid={813E02F8-D6E3-48B1-A0D4-171BBDD46E28}

PILMAN
June 2, 2007, 11:18 PM
As far as I know, the Galils are still being made by IWI. They still list them on thier website. I know for a fact that Galils are still being used in Israel but they are not as widespread as the M16/M4's. I still don't think the Tavors have been issued wide spread yet.

The only soldiers in IDF still using Galils are the tankers/armored corps. They use the shorter SAR version. Nearly all of the IDF uses M4's now and the Tavor TAR-21 is seeing limited use.

From my understanding, the IDF stopped producing the Galil, they have a bunch sitting in the armory, but a lot were also exported to South Africa, many South American countrys (Columbia has a license to produce them), Estonia, Tonga, Portugual and a few other countries.

Gewehr98
June 3, 2007, 12:38 AM
So the receivers are destroyed and the rest of the parts are imported, new guns are built from the old parts and a US-made semi-only reciever, and it's sold.

The non-chromed barrel thing is because of ATF's recent change in enforcement of their "Sporting Purposes" clause. AK barrels are no longer legal to import (as are FAL and other barrels), so those AK barrels seen for sale are either made here in the USA or were imported prior to the ban. Prices and availability have changed accordingly. Hence, you'll find an AK barrel sans chrome lining, or an AK barrel fitted to a different pattern AK rifle than what it started with. You roll with the punches... :(

CGSteve8718
July 5, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah this is an older thread but I've been having some interest in the Galil as well.

Can anyone with experience let me know why these certain models/auctions are so much higher than the rest? Some of you have said that MSRP is about a grand but these top that by far:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75060230

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75091882

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75248627

One of them is in .308 but that wouldn't make it cost so much more. I am guessing they are all pre-ban, would that really make it jump several thousand bucks in price? Anyone have exp. with Action Arms of Philly? Judging by what I've been reading, it has to be at least 3 times better than CAI.

Thanks

Odd Job
July 6, 2007, 02:42 AM
I wonder if you can import one from South Africa? Denel/LIW were making them with a few modifications and they are known as the R4, R5 and R6 family of 5.56mm Galil clones. I'm not sure if they are all select fire as issued to the police.

Manedwolf
July 6, 2007, 04:41 AM
The non-chromed barrel thing is because of ATF's recent change in enforcement of their "Sporting Purposes" clause. AK barrels are no longer legal to import (as are FAL and other barrels), so those AK barrels seen for sale are either made here in the USA or were imported prior to the ban. Prices and availability have changed accordingly. Hence, you'll find an AK barrel sans chrome lining, or an AK barrel fitted to a different pattern AK rifle than what it started with. You roll with the punches...

:eek: :confused:

When did they change that?!

Does that mean that no new Saigas with chromed barrels are gonna come in?

Doesn't ATF have anything better to do than officious meddling for the sake of meddling? Did some 1984ish functionary decide to create a new mound of paperwork in hopes of a pat on the head from their bureaucratic master? :barf:

HorseSoldier
July 6, 2007, 08:20 AM
Doesn't ATF have anything better to do than officious meddling for the sake of meddling?

Apparently, they really don't :rolleyes::barf:

Or, probably more likely, the people who make sweeping interpretations of US gun laws without any legislative oversight, etc., could be out there trying to track down would-be mad bombers of Arab and other persuasions, and otherwise fighting crime, but that might involve having to work weekends, spending time in parts of town where the hotels don't have room service, etc. Far better to stick with the 8-5 office gig.

Willie D
July 6, 2007, 10:27 AM
Not all of Century's work is crap. In fact, I would say that their crap work is a thing of the past.

Then you haven't seen an STG2000.

I handled one of their Galils at a show a few months ago. I didn't realize it was a Century at the time. Seemed well made. Very heavy, which is one of the 2 main reasons the Israelis ditched it (the other being that we give them M4s for FREE). I would personally go for a Vepr or Arsenal at that price.

Manedwolf
July 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
STG2000...

There was one at a shop here, right next to an Arsenal. It was like a Chevy Cavalier parked next to a Lexus...

Gewehr98
July 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
When did they change that?!

Word came out on 13 July 2005, import permit suspensions active beginning 10 September 2005:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

This does not affect the import of the WASR-10 single-stack rifles and WASR-10 barrels, so I would wager you'll see a lot of AK variants with legally-imported WASR-10 barrels transplanted onto them, or domestically-produced AK barrels. Century will still be able to import single-stack WASR-10 rifles and have their trained monkeys hog out the magwells for hicap mags, along with installing the other parts needed in the "10-of-20" rule.

As for FALs, CETMEs, and others, no such luck. All imported firearms kits have become harder to get, and the prices reflect that.

Screwemailcallme
August 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
...on all the Century built Galil Clones that anyone listening has held?

I saw one of the ORF Galil Clones that had loose plastic hand guards, and the owner of that newly purchased rifle told me that ORF told him that all Galil hand guards are loose and there was nothing they could do about it. Sounds like an unexceptible answer to me. I can't believe that IMI put out rifles with loose hand guards!

Thanks in advance for any replys!

tINY
August 2, 2007, 07:19 PM
Can anyone with experience let me know why these certain models/auctions are so much higher than the rest? Some of you have said that MSRP is about a grand but these top that by far:

Because those rifles were all made by IMI and imported long before the ATF decided to support domestic firearms assemblers....

-tINY

HorseSoldier
August 2, 2007, 09:37 PM
I saw one of the ORF Galil Clones that had loose plastic hand guards, and the owner of that newly purchased rifle told me that ORF told him that all Galil hand guards are loose and there was nothing they could do about it. Sounds like an unexceptible answer to me. I can't believe that IMI put out rifles with loose hand guards!

Can't speak for the Century rifles, but have some experience with real .mil Galil SARs, and the hand guards are definitely not loose on them, at least not on the examples I've fired.

RevolverLover
August 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
The Galil's I have shot also didn't have loose handguards.

Odd Job
August 3, 2007, 01:50 AM
The South African clones also don't have loose hand-guards. Looks like you got told a tall story.

frankxd
August 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
A buddy of mine bought one of the Century made Galils. The fit and finish was good, but it wouldn't fire more than a couple rounds without jamming. He returned it to the local gun store; out of the five that they sold, they got back two of them because of problems. His replacement from Century is nice though :rolleyes:.

Screwemailcallme
August 6, 2007, 01:59 PM
...over the ORF complete rifle then. But only ones I can inspect in person. It's less expensive anyway!

Thanks to all for the replys.