PDA

View Full Version : My first rifle?

physics12398
May 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been shooting since I was a kid and am thinking about buying my own rifle. I've shot hundreds of .22LR rounds so I'm not really interested in that caliber and I've shot up to .30-06 (an uncle's lever action) which I had no fun with. I wa thinking of .223 and wanted your opinions on what to get. I'm only looking for a rifle to take to the shooting range (I'm not a hunter). Being that I am in college I am on a pretty serious budget. I was thinking Olympic Arms' Plinker Plus AR15 which would be at the top of my price range. What do you guys thinks?

taylorce1
May 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
A .223 would be a great round to go to as you step up to a center fire cartridge. If you want an AR style rifle then go for it I have no experience with RRA. My only other advice is you can find a decent bolt rifle for less money and have more left over to by ammunition.

Manedwolf
May 29, 2007, 03:37 PM
Saiga .223, $259.

Can't go wrong there, plus if you want to later, you can rebuild it into a "real" AK-101. It's a real Russian Kalashnikov for that price, durable as rock, accurate, and with a chromelined barrel. You'd get an inexpensive rifle that could be modified into an "investment", you'd shoot .223 and you'd learn the operation and fieldstripping of an AK. In the configuration they come in, they have a sporter stock and a forward handguard that hides the distinctive AK gas tube, making them look less "dangerous" and more like a hunting or target piece.

I love mine.

The only advantage to an AR platform, IMO, is that you can install the Ciener $120 .22LR conversion and shoot 22LR all day for cheap.

physics12398
May 29, 2007, 03:44 PM
About the Saiga, if I were to buy one and then make the upgrades you said to turn it into an AK 101 how much wouls that be. I'm pretty much looking for any semi-auto .223 that is accurate to about 2" at 100 yds.

Manedwolf
May 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
If you do it yourself, very cheap. Just need some drills and taps and a dremel. The most popular conversion I've seen is to add an Ace folding stock kit ($180), a SAW pistol grip ($20), and hicap magazines, $25-30, usually German Weiger or Bulgarian waffles specifically made for the caliber. A lot of people keep the original foregrip, which is curvy and sleek, but some switch to Galil style with rails.

Conversion involves moving the trigger group, replacing a few parts, adding a bullet guide and such.

If you don't want to convert, you can get Surefire hicap mags for $50, or can pay someone usually over $300 to convert for you. Tromix is one of the places that'll convert it. You can also put on an Ace adapter that lets you use a pistol grip and folding stock without converting, but the trigger group will be further back from the mag release than a "real" AK if you do that. Mine is currently that way, and I have the 9.5" Ace stock on it, so it comes to my shoulder a lot better than a real AK, which were generally designed with short people in mind!

I'd google for guides on converting them, and also on 922(r) compliance...you're supposed to add five US-made parts if you convert it from "sporter" configuration, but that can include a US-made buttstock, grip, trigger group, etc.

The nice thing is that you can buy the $259 gun now and shoot it, it's fun as-is, then decide if you want to do more with it later. It's not just a one-purpose thing. And yes, it's definitely that accurate!

physics12398
May 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
Well, since you said you had one, what kind of groups do you get?

jhgreasemonkey
May 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
Those Oly arms plinkers are decent AR's. They didnt used to be when they used cast recievers but now days they are good rifles made with the same parts as the most of the higher line olys. I have fired/handled several and think they are nice. Especially for the price. Its a good solid ar platform that you can always add to if desired.

physics12398
May 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think I might have my heart set on the Plinker Plus at this point. As fair as the Saiga goes it seems likes a good rifle but I actually prefer a classic looking AK over their more docile looking one. For the time being I'm going to keep whatever I get stock so I think from the get-go I might be happier with the Plinker Plus. Can anyone who has used it or heard about it tell me what kind of accuracy I'm looking at with it?

fisherman66
May 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
Happy B day physics12398