PDA

View Full Version : Yugo 59/66 SKS front sight hood repair possible?

Teufelhunden
May 28, 2007, 09:13 AM
I've got a buddy's SKS on hand for installation of the excellent Tech-Sight. I replaced the gas valve for the shop before he even bought it, and when I had it then, I noticed that the front sight hood had done it's job at sometime: protected the front sight. Unfortunately, this resulted in the hood being deformed. It's pushed down and a little to the right. It's not far enough down to interfere with the sight picture, but it is annoying. Can anyone think of a good way to get the hood pushed back out to round? It doesn't need to be measured-with-calipers perfect, but visually symmetrical would be nice.

-Teuf

railroader
May 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
You could try removing the sight post first. Then with a rubber mallet and a dowel that would fit inside the sight hood you could pound it back into shape. Don't know if that will work but that's what I would try. Careful putting the sight post back in they can be a pain sometimes. Mark

Keith Eckensviller
May 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
You could cut it and make it look like an AK front site. Or cut it off and weld in some new metal from a apprprate steel pipe.

Jseime
May 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
Cut the top off of the sight hood so it has sight "ears" on either side and then bend them into place with a pair of pliers.

cortez kid
May 28, 2007, 07:12 PM
Check over on the SKS survivor board. There is a way that uses a drill bit and a procedure that limits the amount of blueing damage and makes it come out the way it should be. I have an non-issued that is absolutely perfect, all except for a site hood that's a little cock-eyed. It's still in cosmo and I'll leave it alone for a few more years.
kid

Limeyfellow
May 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/sksfrontsightrepair/index.asp

Someone already done an article about it on Surplusrifle.

rugerdude
May 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think it would be easier just to cut it and bend the sides to form ears. It took me 10 minutes to do:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/rugerdude/DSCF4307.jpg

Keith Eckensviller
May 28, 2007, 11:11 PM
Yes it may just be a crappy block of commie steel in a worked over 2x4. BUT! It is a fine peice of crappy commie steel to say the least. In my opinion one of the finest guns in the world in it's price range. Yugo and Russian ones have better fit and finnish. But the Chinees ones shoot just as good. I love em