PDA

View Full Version : New Springer Garands any good?

Crusty Wadcutter
May 27, 2007, 12:56 PM
How do the new Springfield M1 Garands measure up to the originals? Are the new ones exact reproductions?

Limeyfellow
May 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
They are casted rather than forged and there was some stories early on about the durability but they seem to have sorted that out. They have newly made barrels and stocks added so both are in new condition. The rest of the parts are supposed to be surplus GI parts. The parkarised coating I seen on a couple is quite well done.

mindwip
May 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
IF you can you would be better off with a CMP garand. They will be getting new ones in towards the end of the year. New barrels and stocks, and the rest is GI surplus. PLus they may get more service grades in too. Rumors for price are anywhere from 500 to 1000.

hdawson228
May 27, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'll take the one with history rather than a reproduction. I expect CMP will be charging in the neighborhood of $600 for the "new" Army surplus M1s in service grade. They now have carbines for $495. :cool:

moose fat
May 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
Check out the CMP web site;
http://www.odcmp.com/
they're out of carbines already!

Crusty Wadcutter
May 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hmmm. Cast parts? I was afraid of that..... Looks like I'll try to go the CMP route if/when they get more. Thank for the replies everybody!!

MythBuster
May 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
Their worst problem come from the fact that on many of these rifles the used GI parts are worn out.

Apparently SA Inc does not check these parts very closely before they are refinished and used on a rifle.