PDA

View Full Version : T-6 stock for SKS.

Keith Eckensviller
May 27, 2007, 05:18 AM
Im looking at dressing up one of my sks (if not even buying a new one). I was thinking of putting it in one of those T-6 stocks that are on SKSMAN.com. Dose any one have any comments on the stock or know of it's quality. Let me knowhttp://www.sksman.com/images/STK660166_lg.jpg

dm1333
May 27, 2007, 07:05 AM
If you go over to The High Road and search something like T6 SKS you'll come up with a fair amount of posts. I'm thinking about doing the same thing myself.

Keith Eckensviller
May 27, 2007, 11:59 AM
So what is the web site for the high road or is it on here?

Smokey Joe
May 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
Kieth Eckensviller--Nice looking SKS stock. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my SKS.

Website for The High Road: www.thehighroad.org

BTW, that site appears to be down (again!) at the present time.

joab
May 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
Makes a normal SKS a perfect little truck gun
Didn't like it worth a damn on my Yugo 59/66 so I bought a crack stock 59 fro SOG for $115

When funds get right again I will be sending it to be turned into an ASTEC (search THR) by shortening the barrel to 16" and adding a peep

Keith Eckensviller
May 28, 2007, 04:49 AM
Back home we can get Chinees SKS for just under or around $200.00. Relax guys that's in Canada. Both of mine are Chinees. I'm thinking of re stocking the one I have in the fiberglass stock. That is if I don't buy a new one. I think I will also change the hand gaurd to the one with M1913 rail on it. And Put a shell deflector/ cover on it. The only thing is I want a high cap mag and due to our silly laws I can't have one. However I'm sure I can modifie one to stop at 5 rounds. Thanks for the help and encouragement

Mike U.
May 28, 2007, 06:30 AM
That is an interesting looking stock for an SKS. Turns into a whole new animal.

Does anyone have any info on how it handles after it heats up?

Toolman
May 28, 2007, 07:44 AM
Short answer is, I like mine.
I have the TAPCO T-6 stock in ACU camo on one of my Chicoms. Made in USA, very easy to install (good USA instructions), fit & finish was better than expected and it shoots great. Counted as three US compliance parts.
Heat has not been a problem.

Keith Eckensviller
May 28, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hey Toolman.

Thank any vets that fought on our side. Brit, Canadian, American. We have them all to thank.

Plink
May 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've got the T-6 on a couple of my SKSes just to try it out. I sell them as part of my product line at gunshows and I won't sell a product that I don't believe in. They're pretty rugged and durable. They have fit my guns very well. My customers have given me a lot of positive feedback also. I think it's the best of all the SKS aftermarket stocks, and believe me, I've tried them all.

They have a couple drawbacks though. First off the rail on the gas tube cover is pretty useless, as is mounting anything on a gas tube anyway. Nothing major there. The second is a real annoyance though. You need to unscrew the grip from the stock in order to remove the trigger group. Maybe most folks don't remove the trigger group often, but I remove it now and then for cleaning and lubing, or to do a trigger job. It's nothing major to remove, but it is a hassle I can do without and requires a socket and extension that I rarely keep near my gun bench.

Mike U.
May 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty cool! I sold my SKS to my nephew when I got into AKs. I've been regretting it since the third day after. This has me really wanting another one. I definately like the look it gives and I imagine it really lightens up the rifle compared to that heavy wood stock. That was one of the reasons I sold it. After handling a lighter, faster Ak-47, the SKS felt like it weighed three pounds more. When your 50, you start noticing things like that, especially when hauling the rifle around in the field all day long.

Hmmm...I wonder if he's happy with that SKS?

rockstar.esq
May 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
I love mine. The only annoyance is the top handguard was a PITA to get attached to my rifle's hardware. That part alone took me the better part of an hour painstakingly filing, hammering, cursing, and wedging to get it right. What I've learned is that when everything else is done, compressing the forend with a quick clamp allowed me to close the latch. The up side of this is that my scout scope has absolutely no wiggle despite being attached to the plastic picatinny rail. I also bought two TAPCO 20rnd detachable magazines and they are absolutely reliable AND they lock the slide back on the last shot. One caveat, never ever try to insert a loaded magazine into a rifle with the bolt closed. Apparently that'll break the magazine feed lips pretty quick.

TimboKhan
May 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
I bought mine after Rockstar got his, and I had to file down some to get the handguard on, in addition to filing away some of the inlet. Not quite as much as he did, but some. Then, my roommate also bought one, and his rifle was a piece of cake to install everything on. No filing whatsoever. The differences? Rockstars is a Yugo, mine is Chinese and my roommates is Russian.

In the end, I think we are all pretty happy with our T-6 stocks. I am not a huge fan of the new sight picture, although it does work. I suspect that if I put firesights on, I will be perfectly happy.

Harry Paget Flashman
May 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
Just ordered one from Midway. Should arrive by my birthday.

USMCG_HMX1
May 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone know if these will fit the Norinco SKS-D model that uses the AK mags ?

I'd love to see what mine "could" look like if it were given a face lift.

Kris

Mike U.
May 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
I imagine if you look at the OP's pic and add a twenty round mag to that, it would look VERY cool.
I'm envious of your SKS, Kris. Lucky dog...

Toolman
May 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
Keith,
Sorry to have offended ANY veteran by leaving them out, regardless of nationality. Signature has been edited.

kozak6
May 30, 2007, 01:06 AM
If you're going to use this stock, don't you need to add a bunch more American parts for 922r compliance?

Plink
May 30, 2007, 01:35 AM
Anyone know if these will fit the Norinco SKS-D model that uses the AK mags ?

Tapco says they will, but I have heard that you need to do some minor adjustments to the magazine well to clear the AK magazines. I don't own a D model so I wasn't able to test the fit.

I definately like the look it gives and I imagine it really lightens up the rifle compared to that heavy wood stock.

Actually, I think they're slightly heavier than most factory stocks. Maybe not heavier than the Yugo stocks, but they feel a little heavier than the chinese and romanian models. Luckily the weight is a little more rearward, so the gun has a really nice balance to it.

As the others have noted, the gas tube cover can be a bit of a pain to fit. They are trying to make it as tight of a fit as possible for optics mounting, but that's still an extremely unstable place to mount a sight. In order to make sure it fits all models, and all possible variences in manufacture, they have left a bit of extra material that may need a little trimming. Took me about 2 minutes with an Xacto knife to trim it to fit.

USMCG_HMX1
May 30, 2007, 01:42 AM
I imagine if you look at the OP's pic and add a twenty round mag to that, it would look VERY cool.
I'm envious of your SKS, Kris. Lucky dog...

I got this one in 1995 when I left active duty from the Corps. It was one of those "Hey, kid .... check this out." things. I got it for a song and dance ... I think I spent a hair over $200 out the door with a 20 round mag.

Since then I haven't done anything with it, except buy a few more AK mags.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q160/USMCG_MarineOne/GunPr0nz001.jpg

I'll get a better pic here soon and repost it.

Kris

Mike U.
May 30, 2007, 04:25 AM
An SKS that takes AK-47 mags is just too cool. That is a fine looking weapon as is, Kris!
Congrats on a great acquisition!

Oh Yeah! Plink, mine was a Yugo.

It's a very heavy duty weapon all around.