PDA

View Full Version : Pre-range report Ruger #1 International

fisherman66
May 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24533&d=1180102058

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24532&d=1180102058

20" barrel, 7x57

Picked 'er up last night. The wood is less fancy than most older #1s, but standard grade for the current generation. The wood is proud of the metal surfaces (minor pet peeve of mine), but it these things can be overcome. The checkering is sharp, but the pattern is boardered by round engraving. The points of the boarder are not sharp and look tacky IMO. All metal is deep luster blue with the exception of the sides of the falling block. Safety is a bit stiff. Polishing of the linkage should help. The falling block comes down and rises smooth with an audible click for each cycle. Trigger is creepless and breaks clean at around 4 to 5lbs (can't find my fish scale, so measurement is based on comparison to a measured 3lb trigger on another rifle). Overtravel is about 1/8". The trigger much better than I expected. I might not be replacing it as I had planned. A stoning and polishing job might be able to get it down to my preferred 3lbs. Ruger shipped high scope rings.:confused: I don't understand why they would put high rings with a trim full stocked gun. I haven't decided if I will bother swapping them out with Ruger as I'd like the option of having QD rings from an aftermarket supplier. OAL is 36.5" and LOP is 13 9/16".

If I weren't planning for new wood I would be disappointed in the checkering. Everything else is as expected, with the exception of a better trigger than anticipated. It balances like a shotgun and has enough heft to make swinging smooth, yet not so much weight to be burdensome in the field.

srtrax
May 25, 2007, 07:46 PM
There she is, and there she aint.:) Now your off to the races with a darn fine start! Yes Ruger is bad about putting high rings with there toys, but i think if you call customer service they will trade out or send what you want, did this with a customer once. Christmas in May...:D, Did a box of ammo happen to find its way with it?

fisherman66
May 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
No, the Bass Pro lacky walked me to the door so I couldn't go postal and buy ammo.:confused: I will make the local rounds and see if I can dig up an assortment of different weights. I have the feeling that the ~160 grainers are going to shoot the best if the throat is as long as I hear.

srtrax
May 27, 2007, 09:01 PM
I bought a gun at Wal mart and they walked me through the store, i swear we went the long way out of there. Felt like i was going to be put in jail if i ever made it to the door. It wasnt right!