PDA

View Full Version : New Member and New Rifle

trackmagic
May 25, 2007, 12:52 AM
Hello!

Just joined and thought I would say hey. I picked up a Savage 93r17 BTVS and put a 3x9 Nikon ProStaff scope on it.

So far I have put about 400 rounds through it at the range in the last couple days. I am VERY impressed with it and how accurate it is. I love it and can't stop shooting it.

I have been shooting Hornady .17HMR 20gr through it mainly and love it. Today I tried out 50rds on Remingtons .17 17gr. and was not as happy with it.

Questions-
I have the new Accu-trigger, and have it adjusted as low as it can go right now (I think 2.5pds). Can I get it any lower?
Any recomendations on a bipod?

Here is a quick picture of the new toy:)
http://bosler.phanfare.com/show/external/284449/382479/17600061/file.jpg

boltgun71
May 25, 2007, 01:10 AM
Beautiful rifle. Savages are well known for their accuracy. I dont have a .17, but maybe sometime in the future I will have to correct that. As for a bipod recommendation, you cant go wrong with a Harris is IMO. For prone shooting get a 6"-9" or 9"-13" model.

gdvan01
May 25, 2007, 01:12 AM
As for a bipod recommendation, you cant go wrong with a Harris is IMODitto.

5whiskey
May 25, 2007, 01:16 AM
congrats on a great rifle! Almost every rifle shoots better with some ammo than others, so don't sweat it too much. Federal is usually more consistant than any other from what my friends and I have found.

I wouldn't recommend going under 2.5 lbs trigger pull at all. Even if you don't hunt and just range shoot. You're not going to find a huge difference in the 1 lb trigger and the 2.5 anyway.

Bipods??? I use a harris, which most will think is okay for the money but not the best. There is better, but for under 40 bucks and my rifle shoots 1/2 moa with it... why would I use anything else?

trackmagic
May 25, 2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the bipod advice.

I am going to order a Harris. Will I need to order anything to mount this bad boy?

trackmagic
May 25, 2007, 01:45 AM
Not sure how to quote....

Wheeler- Thanks for the advice on the trigger pull. I read about some guys cutting the spring or something to make it lighter, but I think I will just leave it be. I will have to try out the federal ammo if I can find any. So far I have bought out all my local stores of there .17 ammo. I need to order it online now. Anyone got a favorite ammo site for .17HMR? Are there any site sponsors for this forum? If so, do any of them carry it?

Thanks!

gdvan01
May 25, 2007, 03:44 AM
I am going to order a Harris. Will I need to order anything to mount this bad boy?Nope, it will attach to the forward sling stud.

Abndoc
May 25, 2007, 09:18 AM
Not sure how to quote....

Pretty straight forward.

Highlight the text you want to quote.
Go up to edit and click on copy.
Click on reply to thread button.
Paste and then highlight what you've pasted.
Click on the icon above and right that comes up as Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text.

Remember to highlight your pasted text!

By the way, very nice rifle. Post a couple of targets for us next time you go out.

trackmagic
May 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
By the way, very nice rifle. Post a couple of targets for us next time you go out.

I have a few targets out in my garage from the range yesterday, I will post pictures later today.

Looks like I learned to quote, thanks!:p

piercfh
May 26, 2007, 11:05 AM
Take your rifle out of the stock as if you were going to adjust the accutrigger. Remove the spring from the trigger, and cut a round off of the end. Cut a little at first and then try more. You can allways tighten it up if its lighter than you wanted. I cut mine down, and it greatly improved the trigger on my 17.

heres how mine did @ 100yds the day after the mod with winchester ammo.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23507&d=1174533294