PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Smith to Install a Vortex FH on AR?

Kestrel
May 24, 2007, 03:56 PM
Who's a recommended smith to thread and install a Vortex FH on an AR?

Thinking about sending it to Smith Enterprise.

Thanks,

K.

USMCG_HMX1
May 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
Is the barrel threaded (pre-ban) or is the current flash hider pinned on?

If it's pinned on, you might want to make sure you can legally swap it. If it's a threaded barrel all you need is a barrel clamp, an AR multi-tool, a crush washer, and the new FH.

Kris

hoytinak
May 24, 2007, 09:23 PM
Even if it needs threaded, there should be no reason to send it off. Any local gunsmith will have the tools to thread and put it on for you.

Kestrel
May 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
It's not threaded now.

I don't have any local gunsmiths that I would trust to thread it concentrically.

USMCG_HMX1
May 25, 2007, 09:56 AM
Ouch ..... that unfortunately says alot about the local gunsmith. Who is the manufacturer of your AR? You can generally get a deal if you call them to get a quote.

Kris

Kestrel
May 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks, but I'm looking for a gunsmith that regularly does this kind of work. It's a Colt, but they aren't an option.

OBIWAN
May 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
I had ADCO do one for me after the ban sunset

c4igrant
May 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
ADCO Firearms is a good choice.

C4

Kestrel
May 25, 2007, 01:13 PM
ADCO is a no-go for me. I called them and a young sounding guy answered. I told him what I had and wanted it threaded and a flash hide installed. He barely sounded like he understood what I was asking. I quoted the price on their web site for threading the barrel/muzzle and he said yeah. He sounded hesitant and inexperienced. I asked, "The muzzle is reduced in diameter for an inch and has two grooves where the pins for the muzzle brake had been. When it's threaded, will that be a problem - can you thread it with the grooves there."

He said, "(silence). . . . . "

I asked, "Are you there?"

He said, "Yeah."

I asked, "Do you know what I'm talking about?"

He said, "Not really. It's a what?"

I asked, "Are you the one I should be talking to about this?" (Thinking surely this was just an office guy or assistant or order-taker and there was someone else that would get on the phone and say confidently, "Sure - that's no problem" and at least know what a muzzle brake is.

He said, "Yeah. The guy from the machine shop just stops by once a week and picks up the stuff."

I said, "No offense, but I don't feel comfortable sending something to you when you say you're the one I should be talking to, but you have no idea what I'm talking about. Thanks, anyway."

I don't know what was going on, but I wasn't about to send something in, hoping it would be figured out by somebody when it gets there. (Threading an AR barrel with a standard 1/2x28 thread is not rocket science.)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

c4igrant
May 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
Well, Denny's guns (GTS) is another good choice.

As far as the ADCO thing goes, Steve doesn't have the most out going personality and doesn't really say much, but knows what he is doing (as does the guy he uses for barrel threading and such).

C4

USMCG_HMX1
May 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
Call some of the other piece builders and see what they can do for you.

Kris

foob
May 26, 2007, 10:17 PM
Somebody recommended http://www.jpgrips.com/ last time.