PDA

View Full Version : Rifles chambered in .35 whelen.....

jhgreasemonkey
May 23, 2007, 05:37 PM
What rifles are being made now that are chambered in .35 whelen? I know of the remington 750. What else of any action type are currently offered? Thanks.

pinotguy
May 23, 2007, 08:39 PM
I believe the Remington 700 CDL is still offered in the good ol' 35 Whelen. While I could be mistaken on this, I don't think any other major firm offered production rifles in this caliber. It makes sense since Remmy was the firm who standardized the cartridge. I'd love to see more rifles in the Whelen, but it will probably remain on the fringe of American hunting calibers. I tend to think that the majority of American hunters feel it is "old" and that it lacks the appeal of the belted magnums, short magnums, and more recently developed cartridges. It still has a small but very devoted following (kind of like the 10mm in handgun calibers) and the fact that Federal re-introduced their 225-gr. TB Bear Claw load is evidence of this.

taylorce1
May 23, 2007, 09:38 PM
H&R/NEF offers the .35 Whelen in a handi rifle. Remington was producing the Whelen in the 7600 model, don't know if they still do. If I had the money I'd buy this rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72523520

bisley7
May 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
I found a Sears JC Higgins Model 50 in 30.06 at a local gun store and bought it for a song. Took it to Gunsmithing LTD in Fairfield CT and had Mitch send out the barrel to be recut to 35 Whelen. The Model 50 receiver is a mauser action made by FN Got it back and it is a honey. I'm in to it for less then Remington wants for the 700. Second person at our club that has done this and both rifles came back extremely accurate. Now to work on a good hunting reload.:)

srtrax
May 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
Seen somewhere where there was a 35 in a stainless Ruger #1, think it was new.

srtrax
May 24, 2007, 07:56 PM
Went back and looked for the 35 Whelen in a Ruger #1, no longer chambered, but was at one time.

FirstFreedom
May 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
Yeah, the 700 Rem (forget which ones) are offered in one more more configs right now in .35 Whelen. For a good few years, until last year I think, it was also offered in the 7600 pump, so there should be a few of those around used. And as you say, in addition to the 700, the 750 semi auto is in .35 Whelen right now.

jem375
May 24, 2007, 08:20 PM
I am pretty sure T/C makes it in the Encore single shot, and that will be my next rifle due to all the 30-06 cases I have....

Johnny Guest
May 26, 2007, 12:42 PM
I wanted a bolt rifle in this fine caliber and was about to give up and have my old .30'06 Ruger M77R rebarreled to .35W. I discovered a friend had the Remington and was in a swappin' mood. Happened I had a pistol he wanted and traded that and some .308 ammo. He was happy and I was tickled to death!

I've used it to take only one animal so far - - A largish feral hog. Speer 250 gr. over 52 gr. of RL15 powder, for about 2200 fps. One shot, DRT. :p

See the Remingtonl spec. pages here (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_CDL_specs.asp) and here (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/special_runs/past_special_runs/model_7600_-_.35_calbers.asp) for details on the current production.

Best of luck - -
Johnny

Paul B.
May 27, 2007, 11:09 AM
The Ruger #1 stainless .35 Whelen was a very limited run that was sold out before I even heard of it. (DAMMIT!) :mad:
I'm not sure, but Ruger also made the Model 77 in .35 Whelen. It, as well as the Remington 700 Classics have an improper twist rate to the barrel IMHO. :(
When Jim Howe designed the .35 Whelen, it was intended that the rifle shoot bullets from 250 grains to 300 grains which required a 1 in 12" twist rate. Remington and Ruger both used a 1 in 16" twist rate for the .35 Whelen. :eek:
probably OK for most purposes as bullets heavier than 250 gr. are currently few and far between and the 1 in 16" twist seems to work OK for the most part. My Remington 700 Classic is slightly more accurate than the Ruger 77 I have, but my custom Oberndorf Mauser which has a 1 in 14" twist barrel will outshoot the other two rifles. I had no choice in the twist rate on the Mauser as I bought the rifle from an estate sale for a darn good price. :D
Whether it's the twist rate that makes a difference in the three rifles or something else is something I have not quite worked out.
The nice thing about the .35 Whelen is that there really is no need to use expensive premium bullets. Even the under powered factory ammo is more than sufficient for most of the bigger game in North america and proper handloads make it even better.
It's strange, but the .35 Whelen gets little respect from the American shooter. At least that's the situation until they try one on game.
How much do I like the round? I'm saving up the money to have a Ruger #1B rebarreled to the Whelen and also a Husqvarna FN style Mauser also rebarreled to the Whelen, with both rifles having the proper 1 in 12" twist barrels. One of my pen pals in Canada uses the .35 Whelen exclusively for Moose hunting in Grizzly Bear country and took it as his bear rifle when he lucked out and drew a tag for "Griz". His bullet was the plain old 250 gr. Speer Hot-core loaded to near max for his rifle.
I like Rl-15 as the powder for my rifles.
Paul B.

bobn
May 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
jh grease monkey, how is your sense of humor? lol. most rifles in 35 whelen> kick like a mule. magnum performance in light rifle! about same as 300 win mag in standard wieght mag rifles.bobn ps sold mine after first range session.

FirstFreedom
May 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
Shoulda kept it, bob:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=152664

:p

Dunno how keen I'd be on shooting my CZ in 9.3x62 (basically the same round as .35 whelen), at just 7.4 lbs, without the lead sled. I'd be down there shooting it now were it not for the nearly-constant rain.

Someone on TFL has a rifle in .35 Brown-Whelen, that they used to post about, which is just an improved version (shoulder moved forward) - it has impressive ballistics. Add another 150 fps give or take over the regular whelen.