PDA

View Full Version : Interest in advice for the puchase of .22 rifle

roberthall03
May 23, 2007, 12:17 AM
I am interested in purchasing a .22 rifle and would like some advice. I would like the most accurate weapon possible for $300 max (including shipping/handling fee's and such). I have been researching many models: Marlin, Ruger, Remington, Kimber, Savage, T/C, and countless more and really am no closer than when I started.

Here is what I think I want: A s.steel, bolt action, mag feed, wood or syn stock. I prefer it as long as possible. I know (or think, haha) that length, especially barrel length, leads to increased accuracy. But I am also quite tall with long arms to boot. So these 36 in models are not something I am really interested in.

I have, on my own, narrowed it down to a Marlin 980s, and a Remington 597ss. Ruger does not really appeal to me. I know many consider it a bonus that there are so many after market products, but I do not want to put $300 additional dollars into a 150 dollar gun. I would like the most accurate model in my price range that I can rip open the box, site it in, and head to the range.

Even though I expressed my wants, I still would like ALL advice. Tell me why I am wrong, why I am right, I need all the help I can get. I thank all in advance for any help.

JohnKSa
May 23, 2007, 12:34 AM
CZ-452 either the LUX or the Ultra LUX.

28" barrel, all wood & steel bolt action. You should be able to find one for around or just under $300.

BTW, a longer barrel doesn't improve accuracy unless you're planning to use iron sights. Then the longer sight radius will help reduce aiming errors. And with a .22LR, you're actually reducing velocity with a barrel that's longer than 18" or so.

I own mine because I got great deals on them and because I like iron sights. :D

kametc
May 23, 2007, 12:36 AM
Well, welcome to the Firing line. Our hunter ed program has 13 of the savage bolt rifles. The last three we purchased were left hand models and all had the accutrigger. This is an amazing firearm for the money. I think the Ruger Bolts are way above your $300 price limit. I have a mossberg, a marlin, a ruger 77-22, and two winchester pumps. The ruger is bay far the most accurate and the Winchester Model 61 is the most fun.

$00.02 it's what it's worth

ruger01
May 23, 2007, 01:06 AM
+ 1 on what JohnKSa said, I recently purchased a CZ 452 Lux .22LR and could not be happier excellent value for money, nice looking rifle and deadly accurate - way more than i am!

Regards,

Ruger01.:)

FirstFreedom
May 23, 2007, 08:43 AM
CZ 452!!! (452 / 453 / 513)

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php

Or, possibly, the Izhmash Biathlon Basic:

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Biathlon_7-2.htm

You might want to register and ask the same question here:

www.rimfirecentral.com

but you'll likely get the same answer - the CZ!

1BadF350
May 23, 2007, 09:01 AM
Stay away from the 597 Remington. I have one and it's a jam-factory.

Te Anau
May 23, 2007, 09:06 AM
Stay away from the 597 Remington. I have one and it's a jam-factory.
Or get one.Mine shoots like a dream using bulk ammo.Savage is your best bet across the board.

mikejonestkd
May 23, 2007, 09:18 AM
Savage and marlin are great values for the money spent.

The CZ 452 is nicer and well worth the few extra bucks to buy one.

WeedWacker
May 23, 2007, 09:51 AM
My experience with a marlin semi auto is they don't like certain ammo. Higher velocities result in proper cycling but with the lower velocity it just needed to be worked again. No jams just didn't cycle completely. Bolt action: I have shot a CZ a pump and a mystery bolt. The CZ was 4W350M3!!!1!!11!111 *Ahem* It pretty much shot itself despite my 20/40 astigmatized right eye without my glasses and pegged these quarter sized candie things glued to toothpicks at about 15-20 yards. The semi-auto Marlin is about as good but I have only used the scope that is mounted on it. I would rather have the CZ with open sights to the 6x on the semi.

FirstFreedom
May 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
I think 597 Rems work fine now.

Magnum Wheel Man
May 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
I assume "s.steel" = stainless, which would then eliminate the CZ's... ( they do offer a nickle though, & are awesome shooters )

Savage, Marlin, Ruger, I think Browning offer stainless bolt action rufles... all of which should shoot well, Savage & Marlin should be the most cost effective, with the Browning likely the most expensive

1BadF350
May 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
I think 597 Rems work fine now.
No they don't. Mine is only a few months old and I have been using the new magazines as recommended. It still jams like crazy.

tulsamal
May 23, 2007, 10:43 AM
Or, possibly, the Izhmash Biathlon Basic:

Every since I read Jeff's review, I've been seriously thinking about buying one of those as well!

http://gunblast.com/RAA-Biathlon.htm

Gregg

FirstFreedom
May 23, 2007, 11:28 AM
No they don't. Mine is only a few months old and I have been using the new magazines as recommended. It still jams like crazy.

Hmmm, that's disappointing indeed. Thanks for the info.

bisley7
May 23, 2007, 11:36 AM
I recently bought a CZ 452 FS and I love the heck out of it. It has a very nice balance and accuracy with the iron sights is amazing. Go for the CZ:D

wolverine350
May 23, 2007, 12:19 PM
I have a Marlin 981t bolt action with tube feed, it holds 25 shorts, 19 longs or 17 long rifle and is an excellent shooting bolt 22 i bought this gun for 154.00, and i do also have a Marlin 60 sb ss automatic that is very accurate as well price on it was 165.00

roberthall03
May 23, 2007, 05:41 PM
Since I posted this I shot a remington 597 and it would continually have this problem: after shooting the round the shell would only eject part way before the the bolt (not sure if I am using correct terminology) closed on it. Is this jamming? Anyway it happened once or twice per 10 round clip which to me, even as inexperienced as I am, seems far to often.

I didnt realize that a longer barrell only affected accuracy if you had open sights thus reducing aiming errors. I thought it was longer barrells have more rifling keeping the bullet flying straighter in the air. Hmmm, learn something new every day

What is better, a tubular feed or mag? Do either affect accuracy? What does magnum mean?

Te Anau, would you care to elaborate on why the Savage is the best bet acrossed the board? What is the accu trigger?

Thanks again.

FirstFreedom
May 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yep that's jamming.

Under $200, the answer is Savage or Marlin.

Under $300 (YOUR question), the answer is CZ. There are very few subjects where you will get near uniformity of opinion across the board(s) on gun questions, but this is the exception to the rule. Almost to the last man who's every tried one or compared them, the 452 gives the expected excellent results, or beyond expectations, as well as pretty good fit & finish too.

What is better, a tubular feed or mag? Do either affect accuracy?

Probably doesn't matter, but in theory at least, and possibly in practice, a tube mag attachment point could interfere with the consistent vibration of the barrel during firing, throwing off accuracy (particularly if you are touching the tube mag when firing. Whereas, with a "clip"-style (or box) magazine, the barrel can remain completely free-floated, which is the most conducive to good accuracy.

kcshooter
May 23, 2007, 06:03 PM
Stay away from the 597 Remington. I have one and it's a jam-factory shot a remington 597 and it would continually have this problem: after shooting the round the shell would only eject part way before the the bolt

I have heard so much bad stuff about these, but I can't get enough of mine! Mine jammed a few times at first, I broke it down and fully polished the rails and treated everything with militec, and it shoots like a dream! I can't remember the last time I had a ftf or fte. I got a pair of the Eagle 30rd mags a few weeks ago and I can plow thru one in about 10 seconds (way cool). It's also very accurate, I have shot it out to 100yds scoped and kept 1" groups consistantly. It's got a lot of tweaks to it, such as leaving the rail bolts loose and making sure the firing pin channel is clean and burr free, but I like tinkering a little bit and when my tinkering turns a regular so-so gun into a fun factory, I feel pretty good about it.
I heard that the only issue with these was the first and second generation magazines, the 3rd gen all-metal ones were to have fixed these issues anyway. I bought mine thru a friend who worked at Dick's who bought them in a special purchase so I got it dirt cheap.
OK, if you don't like tinkering the marlin would probably be better, I guess. I've heard good things.

roberthall03
May 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
One last question, any ideas on a scope to go along with the gun? Do certain brands work better with certain types of guns? Is it possible to buy "to much scope" for my gun ( I mean performance wise)? Thanks.

kcshooter
May 23, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wait, you said bolt action, but then said you liked the remington 597 which is semi-auto.

For bolt action and superb accuaracy, this is the best deal you can find, fully match grade, 21" barrel, adjustable trigger, rotary sight that goes from 25-100 yards.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72340289

As far as scopes go, don't buy junk under $50 and don't go more than 3x-9x. Some may disagree but my opinion is a scope should be about half the price of the rifle.

WeedWacker
May 23, 2007, 07:30 PM
You don't need a 20x scope on the thing. chances are the best magnification will be around 7x for what you want this gun for. Multipower is optional and is nice to have if ranges drop below 100 yards. being a .22 the scope will not have as much jarring and abuse from recoil like other rifles have so a heavy duty milspec tacticool scope that goes from .1-300x is unnecessary. A cheap bushnell should do the trick.

tulsamal
May 23, 2007, 08:30 PM
I've got a Beeman HW97k in .20 and I put a Bushnell 4-12x40 AO scope on it. (Trophy, not Banner!) After using it for a couple years, I've come to the conclusion that it would be a great scope for a super accurate .22 LR. It's true you don't shoot a rimfire at 800 yards but the targets tend to be quite small. If you are trying for a head shot on a squirrel at 40-50 yards, being able to crank the scope up to 10x or so is nice to have!

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2085-182-bushnell-4-12x40-trophy-air-gun-scope.aspx

Gregg

JohnKSa
May 23, 2007, 10:28 PM
I assume "s.steel" = stainless, which would then eliminate the CZ's.I missed that... :o

Te Anau
May 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
Te Anau, would you care to elaborate on why the Savage is the best bet acrossed the board?
Savage is a great buy across the board regardless of caliber or model number.They are very accurate,well made,comfortable,reliable and generally priced below the competition.