PDA

View Full Version : 22 hornet... what's out there for rifles right now ???

Magnum Wheel Man
May 22, 2007, 10:10 AM
so along with my love for banging the magnums, I also have this secret love for one of the smallest reloadable cartridges... the 22 Hornet...

I have the CZ 22 hornet, a TC Contender in 22 hornet, & a Taurus Raging Squirrel in 22 hornet...

I'm looking for a more practical shooter in a rifle ( the CZ is just too pretty ), & my hands sweat too much to take that one out too often ...

any idea what all my options are for rifles right now ??? Savage has a single shot, NEF has a single, Ruger has 2 of them... ( if the one is stainless, that may be my next rifle ), Browning has a micro bolt...

ideally I'd like an inexpensive stainless bolt action... I really like the savage best, but am looking for something more than a single shot... I understand the Rugers when 1st re-released, were a bit wanting in the accuracy dept. Have they fixed that at all ???

... any other suggestions ???

Scorch
May 22, 2007, 11:48 AM
CZ
Ruger 77/22 H (yes, it comes in stainless)- They shoot very well.
Remington 799 (Zastava) Also shoot very well.
Browning
NEF Handi-Rifle
Dakota
Salvage

Trapper L
May 22, 2007, 11:59 AM
My brother has the Ruger single shot in 22 Hornet. I never thought much about the cartridge and you didn't see it on the firing lines that we shoot at. He bought this rifle because it is an extremely fine looking piece. I don't know what kind of wood is on it but it is not factory and is something to see. The plus is that he has won several matches with it. It is the rifle of choice for an offhand 100 yd ballon bust. He has converted several of the shooters who now shoot the 22 Hornet for matches. My favorite little case is the 218 B Ackley. There are fewer brass issues with it than the Hornet. The Hornet brass is very thin and splits are common. The B in standard form doesn't last long either and grows with every shot. The Ackley chambering solves this issue. Another small cartridge to consider is the 221 Fireball. It may be easier to find considering it is a modern chambering. Brass and components should be easier to find and cheaper. If you've never shot one of these mini cannons, they're a hoot to shoot!

texfar
May 22, 2007, 12:33 PM
I have an old Ruger #3 with beautiful wood that took some time to get right, but it is one of my favorite rifles. Put a Hicks Accurizer on it and it is a tack driver. Try a single shot and you will love it. One shot, one Kill. it is a fun cartridge. Takes care in reloading, but once you have the hang of it and the right die combination, it is a hoot. As stated before in another post, lots of fur and feathers have fallen to my #3.

FirstFreedom
May 22, 2007, 01:49 PM
No question that if I were to get a .22 hornet, it'd be this one:

http://www.savagearms.com/40Varmint.htm

Magnum Wheel Man
May 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
FF... I agree that's the nicest looking one I've seen yet...( well except for my lil dolly... the CZ )... but I can shoot the Contender if a single was what I wanted... I've been having trouble finding a pic of the "target grey" Ruger that I keep seeing referenced everywhere...

I'm still looking for pics of the Remington & others listed... I do love my other Browning A-Bolts... if they made a stainless hornet... I'd be on that one quick

Magnum Wheel Man
May 22, 2007, 02:06 PM
SCORCH... you mention Dakota Arms... yep they have 2 different 22 Hornets... But I couldn't even afford to look at the pics, at over $5,000.00 each...

I do like the Mauser style Remington though...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24479&d=1179860719

Scorch
May 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the Mini-Mausers are pretty nice. I have one in 223, and it shoots very well.

I haven't looked at the Dakotas lately. Every time I do I get an anxiety attack.

Magnum Wheel Man
May 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
I found this pic of the "suposed" Target Grey Ruger... but in the pic, it appears to be blued... or at least doesn't look like the same metal finish as on the other "target grey" rifles

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24481&stc=1&d=1179861885

USNairman
May 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
You already own the best hornet made - the CZ 527. If your looking to buy another so you don't ruin the pretty wood on your CZ then just buy another CZ and ruin the wood on whichever one has the least nicest wood.:D Your not going to find a better hornet than the one you already have. :p

Scorch
May 22, 2007, 02:44 PM
I found this pic of the "suposed" Target Grey Ruger... but in the pic, it appears to be blued
No, it's kind of a dark greenish grey.
You already own the best hornet made - the CZ 527
I've never known that to stop some people from buying another rifle.

Magnum Wheel Man
May 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
spent the bulk of the day fantasizing on the internet...

now... I'm not so sure what I want... right now I'm thinking I need my old gun building buddy to do just one more project for me... I've been seeing alot of Martini Cadet actions converted to 22 Hornet...

... I truely love my 2 tropicals I bought from him, in 45-70 safari, & 50-70 gov.

I think those boys might just need a little brother...

Scorch
May 22, 2007, 07:26 PM
I almost bought a Martini action about 15 years ago for a similar project, but I added it up, and by the time you get the action ($50), a barrel ($250), a stock/forearm ($100), chamber ($75), drill/tap ($150), polish/blue ($75), and shape/finish the stock, you are into it for $700. Plus your time! When I was a smith, my time was free, and the machinery was there anyway, so it was no problem. Now I have to pay for someone to do all that work, so I might as well buy a factory rifle. Next stop- Browning 85 single shot.

srtrax
May 22, 2007, 09:05 PM
I have a Ruger 77/22, wood and blued in the hornet, with a Leupold 2x7. If your looking for a carry rifle the Ruger is very sweet, with it slung over your shoulder you cant even tell its there most of the time. I like mine!

USNairman
May 22, 2007, 09:24 PM
I've never known that to stop some people from buying another rifle.

I think you need to read what I posted again because you apparently missed part of it.