PDA

View Full Version : Any tutorials?

Tanzer
May 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
I've loaded thousands of pistol rounds with my Dillon RL550b. If it weren't for checking powder I could do it in my sleep. I've just got the setup to load 270WSM, But I've never reloade for rifle. I've done my reading and for the most part, everything makes sense. I'm using Redding dies, and stolen the necessary sheet pans for case lube from my wife. I'm a little "iffy" on the powder die setup, since it butts the shoulder instead of belling and powdering. From what I can tell, I'm supposed to set it so that it just butts the shoulder and doesn't crunch the cartrige. Seems like I'd splill a h** of a lot of powder if it doesn't press firmly enough.
As much as I read and hear (the folks at Dillon have tried hard to explain), I just can't get that picture in my mind. My learning curve is pretty good, but considering the results of reloading errors, I'd feel better actually seeing it done. I wonder if anyone knows of any video tutorials so that I might watch someone do it correctly on a Dillon. I've searched rifle.net & a few others and didn't see anything. I own too many manuals to buy another - none of them show Dillon. If I wasn't working with explosives, I'd do trial & error. I could do dry runs, but I'd still worry. Any advice? (please don't say "buy another press").
Thanks in advance.

T. O'Heir
May 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Dillon lists an instructional VHS video for your press for $5.95.
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&min=3&dyn=1&
"...working with explosives..." You're not. Smokeless powder is a propellant. Not an explosive. It doesn't explode. It just burns quickly.

Tanzer
May 22, 2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks,
I have the tape. It doesn't show rifle reloading as I remember. Maybe I'll take a second look.