PDA

View Full Version : I have a good question about first bolt action?

datruth
May 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm getting stationed at ft. lewis,washington(army) and i have decided to get into hunting,SERIOUSLY. I have been whitetail hunting before with my father,RIP, and I'm a certified gun nut and sportsman, i love hunting and fishing, I'm off topic. I have a rifle in mind but in need of further advise on the choice and caliber,is it adequate? I'm thinking about a savage 11 in 30-06or weatherby vanguard synthetic package in same caliber, need input, are these ready out of the box for hunting,(elk,caribou,mule deer.etc), not a rich man, being a soldier and all so price matters to extent, but i want a decent rifle for hunting and range work, thanks and god bless

WeedWacker
May 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
A 30-06 should take anything in your area. If you are in mountainousa country and wqant a flat shooter a .300 WM is a good choice although I have heard good stuff about the .270 WSM. A .308 will take deer and from what I understand it is adequate for elk at close range. Looks like you might be far north enough to do a moose hunt more often than others so maybe a .300 WM would be best if that were the case. If you wanted to go classic you could do a 8mm mauser or a 7.62x54(r) Mosin Nagant. Or A springfield if you decide on .30-06.

support_six
May 20, 2007, 07:39 PM
datruth, welcome to Washington! Since you are a soldier and will, at first, probably limit the number of guns you own, your choice of a .30-06 is an excellent one. It will take all the large game of north America, is a popular round you will have no trouble finding in any sporting goods store (and lot's of rural gas stations).

Good luck at Fort Lewis. One of my favorite places. Although never assigned there, I've been TDY there for up to six weeks at a time, over 20 times! No poisonous snakes, lots of mosquitos!

What unit?

TPAW
May 20, 2007, 07:47 PM
I like the Savage 111G. It comes with rifle sights in case you don't want to put a scope on it. As for the 30.06, it's probably your best choice in caliber. The .06 comes in grains from 110 to 220, ammo can be bought just about anywhere, and it will kill anything that walks the earth in North America. By far, the .06 is the best "all around" caliber. Just my humble opinion.............;)

wolverine350
May 20, 2007, 08:22 PM
the 111 is awesome with the accu trigger

srtrax
May 20, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thudy ot six, would be fine for any of the game you said above, If your only going to give me the two choises , then i'd have to go with the Savage. I like the Remingtons, but Savage is making there way to becoming a major mfg.