PDA

View Full Version : Review: Tapco 20 rd removable SKS mags!!

SCTigerJeep
May 19, 2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.tapco.com/Show_image.aspx?id=b67b5fa3-8893-4f9a-94f2-9b9605899485&s=s

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=96812788-3e7c-4e8f-8014-2dbeaf9e7191

i ordered 2 of these magazines wednesday evening, paid standard shipping, and recieved them this morning! i opened the packaging, praying that these things would work and inserted the first magazine into my gun. to my satisfaction, it went in MUCH easier and more smoothly than my old metal 40 rd. i removed the magazine and loaded it, then proceeded to fire all 20 rounds flawlessly!! it even holds the bolt open after the last round is fired... again, something my 40 rd would not do. magazine 2 performed just as well as #1, and needless to say, i am a very happy customer. these come highly recommended to anyone looking for a good, removable SKS mag, and at only $20, how can you resist?? :cool:

tulsamal
May 19, 2007, 07:38 PM
these come highly recommended to anyone looking for a good, removable SKS mag, and at only $20, how can you resist??

Well, I guess I can "resist" one since it would be illegal in MY Yugo SKS. You have to own one of the SKS's that actually came with a removable mag to begin with to be legal. Not many of those.

Or did somebody change the rules while I wasn't watching?

Gregg

PTR 91
May 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
Are you sure about that because I have never herd of that before.

bennnn
May 19, 2007, 08:07 PM
arghh....

You have to own one of the SKS's that actually came with a removable mag to begin with to be legal.

Here comes another big 922r debate...

never herd of that before

Are you guys serious? Just do the reading over at the ATF site and you'll have all the info you need...........

SCTigerJeep
May 19, 2007, 09:18 PM
i am not too worried about it, considering i bought the gun at a police surplus sale with a folding stock and a 40 round removable mag. the one it came with did not work, but since the tapco is actually american made and holds half as many rounds i don't see how it can be any worse. if it is not 922 compliant, they should be held liable for selling it to me.

if this is not correct, and i am actually at fault for having a gun that the police sold me, i guess i will be replacing my stock soon... and having a nice chat with the police chief about selling illegal firearms.

Csspecs
May 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
you can leave it the way it is by buying two more US made parts from the list.

There is nothing in 922r that says you can't own a gun like your talking about, you just are not supposed to "build" it like that. Since yours came that way you can just leave it AS IS or if it bothers you, buy the extra two parts (assuming the stock is US made).

FirstFreedom
May 20, 2007, 11:27 AM
That's interesting if there are now duckbills they both actually work and go in easier. Kudos if true.

Yes, you need to comply with section 922(r) by adding some US parts in order to legally use a detachable mag. As a practical matter, where I live, LOCAL law enforcement would not care/enforce that UNLESS they are charging you with something else; then they would throw that in with the kitchen sink of charges. If the FEDs are after you for some reason, then you'd better oughtta comply. If you don't ruffle the feathers of the feds, and you are generally law-abiding, there's roughly a 0.1% chance of you ever being charged with a 922(r) violation in THIS state. Cop sees you shooting your SKS with duckbills at the range....the most likely scenario, other than sheer indifference, is "hey, can I rip through a mag of that too please?". Now, should you be unlucky enough to be in the lane next to some anal-retentive BATFE agent hired outta yankee land, you might want to have a lot of "made in USA" marks on your rifle parts. Find details here:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/922(r)%20Compliance%20Info.htm

Csspecs
May 20, 2007, 10:02 PM
there's roughly a 0.1% chance of you ever being charged with a 922(r) violation in THIS state.

Historically there is a 0.00000% chance, I can't find anyone that has ever been charged.

HJ857
May 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
I think FirstFreedom is right on. That's good advice. There's no reason not to comply with 922r, it isnt' that expensive since the clip itself is three parts.

I've been using the Tapco 20's since they first came out and they do work perfectly.

There's another trick that can be done that puts the SKS into a whole new realm, with the Tapco 20.

A standard SKS must have the bolt open to load/unload a clip because it has feed lips that run in to the clip itself. Those feed lips can be ground off which then allows you to load/unload with the bolt closed - like a real rifle...

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=23876.0

This mod is what makes the SKS-M work, so you're not doing anything that hasn't already been done at a factory. It's very easy to do, a bench grinder works best with some dremel work to finish it up.