PDA

View Full Version : Two Stage Trigger a Must-Have?

zenner22
May 19, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm new to AR's and am shopping around. My local shop is pushing the Rock River line heavily, especially the 2 stage trigger. A friend who is similarly new to AR's was at the shop and he dry fired a Bushmaster and a Rock River. Said the two triggers were like night and day. When he purchases an AR now he said he wouldn't even think of getting one without a 2 stage trigger.

Question: Are the 2 Stage triggers really that good? Are they worth the extra $100? I don't hear many people complain about the Bushmaster's basic trigger, but maybe I'm not listening close enough.

Are the 2 Stage triggers a Must-Have or will the single stage trigger do just fine?

Art Eatman
May 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
One-stage or two-stage: It. Doesn't. Matter.

All that matters is that the trigger doesn't have a lot of creep in the final pull, and that it breaks cleanly. The military two-stage is easy to get used to: Take up the slack; pull. The "normal" trigger is easy to get used to. It's not even difficult to go back and forth, assuming that the shooter can tell the difference between two rifles. :D

Unless somebody has some sort of serious Jones for one type over the other, there ain't a nickel's worth of practical difference between them.

Art

FirstFreedom
May 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
One-stage or two-stage: It. Doesn't. Matter.

As the Fonz used to say, Exactamundo! :)

MacGille
May 19, 2007, 10:09 AM
The military uses 2 stage triggers because their rifles are handled constantly. Getting into or out of vehicles, in chow lines,moving out,etc. A 2 stage trigger is less likely to be pulled accidentally. As far as shooting if the second stage is crisp, there should be no difference. In my opinion, I find that a single stage trigger that is well set up is preferable.

DonR101395
May 19, 2007, 10:10 AM
IMO,If you're bench shooting they're nice. For a fighting rifle I don't care for them. I prefer a smoothed out single stage. Also the factory RRA 2 stage triggers have reportedly been breaking with some frequency, leaving you with a really light single stage trigger, seems like they either work or they break quickly. It could be a bad batch type issue. If I were going to run a 2 stage trigger in an AR platform it would probably be an Adco improved RRA 2 stage or a KAC 2 stage. The KAC is in the $300 range though.
Try both type triggers and see what you like, shoot both types if you can. Everybody is different on their likes/dislikes and what works for them.

kcshooter
May 19, 2007, 10:15 AM
The RRA's are a nice AR, I have a lower. Never owned a Bushmaster but wouldn't be afraid to. I wouldn't spend the money on the trigger. I like basic AR, flattop w/ removeable handle, nothin' fancy. As far as a two-stage trigger, that money is far better spent on having your basic single-stage reworked, but I doubt you even need that! Like it was posted above, lack of creep, clean crisp break, and smooth travel.

Tim R
May 20, 2007, 01:13 AM
Not quite sure I agree with Mac's response.....the rifles still have a safety for a reason.

I have been shooting M-1's or M-14's for a number of years. Because of this I like a 2 stage on my AR when shooting matches.

I have a RRA 2 stage which was tuned by White Oak Precision. The trigger is awesome. For the money, the RRA is about the best deal going.

The bottom line is you can shoot smaller groups with the 2 stage because of the light 2nd stage.

mc223
May 20, 2007, 01:33 AM
Dont get me wrong, my Bushmaster is the best thing since pockets on a shirt.
The first thing to go was the crappy stiff factory trigger. I put a Chip McMcormick 2 stage on it and have never looked back.
I might pick up a GEISSELE for a spare though.

Toolman
May 20, 2007, 07:33 AM
I put a RRNM trigger on my Bushy 3-years ago. It has performed flawlessly.

hags
May 20, 2007, 08:00 AM
First, the RRAs have a reputation for losing their first stage. That problem is easily remedied though.
Secondly, IMO a two stage would be much easier than the average single stage to accidently pull the trigger on. They are usually set up for a very light trigger pull which you can get away with because of the two stage design.
Thirdly, stock single stage triggers don't usually have a nice pull, they're usually a bit rough.
I shoot with nothing but two stage triggers, I wouldn't even consider going to a single stage unless nothing else was available.
Most of your top bench shooters are using two stages as they dominate the competitive arena.
Yes, they both do the same thing, however, once you try a good two stage my guess is you won't go back to a single stage.
So in short, in my opinion, they are worth the money.

Art Eatman
May 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
Lessee: A couple of Garands, an Enfield, a few Springfields, a Lebel, a couple of 98s, four ARs, four Minis, an M1A Match, a couple of M1 Carbines as well as the M2 in Korea--I guess I've messed with a few two-stage triggers, these last 57 years.

Guess what? They all work.

Then factor in a couple of dozen civilian sporting rifles with single-stage triggers.

Guess what? They all work.

The better of the two designs is the one you like the best, if it works for you. Outside of what you've persuaded yourself to believe, hey, I already said it. :D

Art

hags
May 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
So in short, in my opinion, they are worth the money.
Emphasis on opinion.
Depends on what you're using it for.
Five pound duty triggers work fine, but I wouldn't want one on my Krieger barreled AR15 match rifle.