PDA

View Full Version : 7mm-08 Remington

jbirdhaffield
May 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
I am looking into buying a new rifle. I live in south Florida but occasionally go up north to PA. I do encounter long shots up to 300 yards at times however, my general range is 75 to 100 yards. I ahve been doing alot of studying and came up with a caliber. I own a 30-30 now but I'm not comfortable taking a long shot with it even with the new Hornady LeverEvolution ammo which does make a big difference. I am not a recoil man so I like to stay on the moderate side. I ahve read many articles on the 7mm-08 and they compare the ballistics to a 308 out to 300 yards. My question to you is, is this a good caliber for someone that's not big on recoil but wants to get the job done on a whitetail at a moderate range at times? Please fill in some input and give me all the opinions. Thanks so much!

Peter M. Eick
May 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
I have a 7-08 Rem 700 BDL SS. Nice gun, mild recoil, accurate (1" groups) at 100 yards. With the right reloads it will do 1.5" at 200 yards with 120 grn bullets. I have taken a few Texas deer with it. I put a 4.5x14 vx3 on it and found that it will just drop the deer. One dropped so quick that I never saw it go down. It was just shy of 175 yards and I swore I missed it because it was gone by the time I recovered from recoil. After a few minutes of sitting there, I finally convinced myself I could not have missed and walked to where I thought I shot it.

It never moved a muscle. Nice 8 point Texas deer. 120 grn Seirras by the way.

I also shoot the 30/30 for brush work. No point in taking the 7-08 and the scope into the piney woods when the max shot is 75 yards. I can do that with the 94 and a Williams peep sight.

I also (now) have a 25-06 Sendero for the really long shots. If you study the ballistics charts it and the 7-08 are similar on the short ranges but the 25-06 can do better at the 400 and further ranges. Better ballistics.

So where do I stand? The 7-08 will be with me to the end. It is not that heavy, more then accurate enough and good enough for anything I will hunt in the lower-48 that I cannot cover with the 30/30 or the 25-06.

Jimro
May 18, 2007, 07:50 PM
Recoil will be a function of rifle weight and stock configuration so try a couple different models if you can.

The 7-08 is a very good choice for your intended game and distances.

Jimro

Art Eatman
May 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
I'm old and have arthritis in my right shoulder. I have a Rem 700 Ti in 7mm08. It totals out at 6.5 pounds.

At the benchrest, the recoil is somewhat noticeable but not at all bothersome. Offhand, I don't even notice the recoil.

I'm loading 140-grain bullets to what the book says is a bit above 2,800 ft/sec. That's only ten grains under my usual '06 150-grain bullet, and within 100 ft/sec of most .308s.

For all practical purposes on whitetail deer, your shooting range is limited only by your skill level: How far out you can pretty well guarantee a neck or heart shot.

Art

essexcounty
May 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
I bought a Browning A-Bolt Micro (?) in 7-08 a half dozen years ago and I would consider it ideal for what You're talking about. A Remington Model 7 would be another great choice. Essex

lockedcj7
May 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
I've got a 700 Mtn rifle in 7-08. I load 120gr ballistic tips over 49 grains of H-380. I don't notice the recoil in the field, it's a true .75 MOA gun and that load will drop a properly hit whitetail like a bolt of lightning out to 300 yds.
Ballistics are close to the .308 win. and .270 win. Look no further.