PDA

View Full Version : Long Range combo for $2000

EEEZNOW
May 17, 2007, 03:55 PM
From what I have been reading I am going bolt action instead of semi-auto. I want to get a .308. But it has been hard to find good advice on rifles in the $800-$1200 range. It has also been hard to find info on scopes in my price range also.

My budget is $1800-$2000.

I am 21 years old and this is going to be my first dedicated long range rifle. I want it to be able to grow with my skill level.

Thanks again in advance!

Jimro
May 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
FN SPR, Super Sniper 10x is a great starter combo, with a good set of rings you have a complete kit that will outshoot you for MANY MANY rounds. Later on you can "upgrade" the scope as you see fit and get most of your money back from the super sniper.

Savage 10FP McMillan, Rem PSS, are less expensive, but will allow you to get a better scope like an IOR 4-14x, 3-18x or 6-24x. Leupolds are nice too.

Jimro

BUSTER51
May 17, 2007, 04:28 PM
is this a hunting rifle,or a paper puncher ? :confused:

EEEZNOW
May 17, 2007, 04:33 PM
It will be really paper only... you have to get up to early for me to hunt;)

boltgun71
May 18, 2007, 04:38 AM
I would recommend a Remington 700 Police in .308 Win. You can pick them up for around $700. I have one that I absolutley love and it shoots 1/2MOA and better with handloads and 3/4MOA and better with factory loads. I would recommend a scope from Leupold, specifically from there VX-III line or Tactical line. Choose the model that best suits you. You should be able to get a complete set-up for under 2 grand. My 700 Police has a Leupold VX-III Tactical 4.5-14Xx40mm scope, Leupold base and rings, Harris bipod, and Blackhawk cheekpad and cost around $1,700 total in the end. Hope this helps.

hags
May 18, 2007, 08:35 AM
If you're looking for something to punch paper with at long range it would be hard to beat a Savage 12 F/TR Class in .308. It has a 30 inch stainless barrel, adjustable cheekpiece and smaller ejection port for receiver rigidity.
I've heard good things about them and for around $950 you're ready to go right out of the box.
I'd top that off with a Nikon Tactical scope, these offer some of the finest, clearest optics of any scopes under a $1000, bar none. You can do a search on Nikon optics they repeatedly receive excellent reviews.
Good Luck.

essexcounty
May 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
Hags said it all.......Essex

5whiskey
May 18, 2007, 01:09 PM
Actually I would amend hags with one suggestion. Bushnell has a few tactical scopes in their elite series that are as good as it gets for the money. I would compare some of them to scopes that cost 250 dollars more. You may want to go that route and save the money for ammo.

BTW you can't go wrong with Nikon either, amazing scopes. I still think bushnell is just as good for less $$$. Huge +1 on the Savage. Amazing rifles. I don't think I've heard of any factory savage that wouldn't hold 1 moa as long as the shooter does their part. I've heard of many from the factory shoot sub moa, sometimes to sub 1/2 moa.

jhgreasemonkey
May 18, 2007, 01:27 PM
+1 for the savage. Accuracy is excellent.

davo17
May 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
I recommend the Savage.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247728

EEEZNOW
May 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
I ended up getting the FN Herstal SPR A1 in .308. I also got a Carl Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 x 50 tactical.... I am very happy with my choice and can't wait to shoot it!

Thanks again..

Jim Watson
May 20, 2007, 08:44 PM
Where in Birmingham area will you shoot at long range... or Long Range?

Steel City is doing earthwork for a claimed 1000 yard range, but I don't know anybody there who knows any details. A target stand 3000 feet from the firing line is not much use; you have to have a way to spot your shots and there is no spotting scope that will resolve a bullet hole that far. I am accustomed to shooting on conventional ranges with pits and target carriers. Also pit crews.

EEEZNOW
May 20, 2007, 09:00 PM
We have a couple of good places..... Also a good friend of mine is a member at Steel City. They have a 600 yd range now, they are working on the 1000 or more. I live more towards hoover.

Also the shoot-n-c targets work well with a spotting scope.

RockHoundTX
May 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
The Remington 700 Varmint can punch single holes as well. From what I have seen, you can expect roughly 3/4 MOA right out of the box. If you take your time burning in the barrel (very important step IMHO) and do a little work on the trigger you should have no problem getting 1/2 MOA or better. On a good day, I used to be able to cover 3 shots at 100 yards with a dime using my 700V and Gold Medal Match ammo.

Also, buying a good scope will take some legwork and figuring out what you like. Definitely don't cheap-out and buy cheap mounts and rings. As for Tasco, Bushnell, etc versus the higher cost varieties, one of the biggest differences is Quality Assurance. The best quality Tasco glass will not be as good as the best quality Zeiss/Leupold/etc glass but they may very easily be as good as a lesser quality one. However, probably 9 out of 10 of the high-end Zeiss/Leupold/etc have pristine glass (no waves, chromatic aborations, etc) while for high-end Tasco/etc that number might be 2 out of 10. If you take 10 of the exact same model of scope and look through them in a side-by-side comparison, you will likely find that the difference between them can be pretty startling (especially for the lower cost ones).

I say this because if you buy from a local retailer, you can check out the scopes side by side and pick the best one regardless of what name is on it. However, if you buy online, it is more of a gamble since you don't know if you will get a better example of the model you want or one that is just "average". Likewise, if you are in the store comparing scopes and find one that you like, don't let the dealer sell you the "one in the box that is exactly the same" without doing a side by side with the demo. You may be very surprised at how different they look.

I have been shooting for quite a while but one of my main passions is bird-watching (and also do a little astronomy). As such, I have "wasted" more time trying out and comparing optics than I really care to admit. Folks on the internet telling you which glass to go looks at is a good start but you never really know until you have the product "in hand" and can compare to a "known" that you are familiar with.

Best of luck.

Full-choke
May 21, 2007, 02:30 PM
I was inquiring in the same things earlier this year. I'm 19 and working on tighter budgets too, but I opted out of a paper gun and have decided to head more towards a brush gun. This was all the findings and things I had decided on.

The 300 Win Mag is heavier recoil, but it shoots flat. If you don't mind recoil at all, the 300 Rem Ultra Mag is by far the flattest shooting round out there. The 308 is also a classic round. I was going to go with the 300 Win Mag just because it gave me darn good performance and the ammo was reasonable.

I looked at Savage and Rem 700's, and decided on the Savage. Savage has some amazingly good rifles out there for out of the box accuracy. If you break the barrel in right that thing will shoot as true as any other. I was also determined to get a Savage for the AccuTrigger, which is amazing. I have a Savage 17 HMR for groundhogs and such that is a nail driver. The AccuTrigger makes it even better because I have it set so it is as crisp a pull as possible with absolutely no creep. I wouldn't go with a conventional stock either, I would upgrade to something a little more solid, possibly a sniper style stock.

As far as scopes go, Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 series. Those scopes have gotten some rave reviews from shooters. My gunsmith said that he would buy a Bushnell Elite over a Leupold anymore. Leupold has some reasonable stuff too, but you have to remember that with them you are paying for a name too.

I was going to set mine up with all the recommendations I just gave you, but opted out. I didn't really see a point in it right now, but maybe someday down the road it will happen.

-Ryan

Desert01
May 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
Boltgun 71,

Our Gander Mountain has a .300 WM Remington Sendro ($9--) and a 6.8 SPC Remington Tactical. If it was availible in a Lefty it sure would make things easier for me:mad:

Anyhow back on topic.

Savage 10FL .308
http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm
http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/lawenf/10fp_sala.jpg
Badger Ord P/N 306-06SAV - Short action, 20 MOA cant, 5.4 Oz
http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=rails

Badger Maximized Scope Rings (Scope Dependant)
http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=rings
http://www.badgerordnance.com/products/306-08.gif
One of the 30mm scope listed above. Look at the differant reticles and pick what works for you, thats a whole thread on it's own. I'm looking preety hard at the Burris3-12 Xtreme. I have had good luck with the "high end" Burris's 6x HBR before:
http://www.burriscompany.com/tactical.html
http://www.burriscompany.com/images/3x12xtacticalnon.gif
I'm not a fan of the Bushnell though.

Add on the following and the Savage should still keep you under budget:
Badger Torque Wrench Kit
http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=tools
http://www.badgerordnance.com/products/306-40.gif
If you go with one of the mid-range price scopes then get a good spotting scope to go with it.

After that find a good coach or course and enjoy:)
Finaly after you have alot of trigger time look at differant stock options then a laser range finder if you are going to go into the "field".

I favor the Leica 7x24 CRF1200 which was just adopted has part of the Army Sapper Leaders Kit:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6626-47-leica-7x24-crf-1200-rangefinder-meters.aspx

Jimro
May 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
Good choice on the SPR, try 175 grain match ammo from Blackhills if you can find it, Federal GMM if you can't.

Jimro

EEEZNOW
May 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
What I ended up getting..... Went a little over budget... Well worth it in my opinion.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/EEEZNOW/P.jpg

FirstFreedom
May 22, 2007, 06:50 PM
So that's the FN/Conquest? Very VERY nice! Congrats. :)

EEEZNOW
May 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
It is the FN A1 SPR

Scorch
May 22, 2007, 07:01 PM
Very nice, very nice. Have you shot it yet?

EEEZNOW
May 23, 2007, 09:46 AM
No I haven't yet. I am very exited about it. I will let you guys know this weekend how it shoots.

I am in the process now of learning the math part of long range. I am really trying to teach myself all of this stuff....

5whiskey
May 23, 2007, 12:34 PM
Just FYI, if you decide to shoot federal ammo to begin with they have a ballistic table thats pretty darn decent. Its not dead accurate, but will get you in the ballpark and take alot of guesswork out of long range shooting.

If you don't go federal, you can google and download pointblank ballistic software (free) and get a chrony. If you have the bullet BC, weight in grains, and muzzle velocity, then it is pretty good at getting you in the ball park with long range shooting as well.

If you don't want to go with either of these options the trail and error method works decent (start at 100 and work your way back). May God bless you and your shooting. AND GIVE US A RANGE REPORT ON THAT FN!!!

Obviously I suggest the chrony and pointblank when you start reloading, but the federal ballistic table works well (with federal ammo) if you don't reload.

5whiskey
May 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
BTW, forgot to tell you but I think that is one SHARP RIFLE!!! I hope it is everything you thought it would be AND MORE. What make of 1911 is that? Looks like a springer 1911A1 from what I can see but I've been wrong too many times to count now.

EEEZNOW
May 23, 2007, 01:09 PM
It is a Colt 1991A1....... Thanks for the advice.

smenkhare
May 24, 2007, 05:19 AM
my favorite in that price range is the Styer SSG-04
with the tac ops tango coming in second.