PDA

View Full Version : "Older" M77 in 7mm Rem Mag

cunanse
May 17, 2007, 02:41 PM
I've got an older-looking (nicked to hell) 7mm Rem Mag m77 with a Bushnell scope. I picked it up used at a gun store for $295. M77's have a good rep, I know, but I hear less about Bushnell scopes. The bore and trigger are great. Assuming that there are no problems (damage) with the rifle and scope, what sort of performance potential does this combination have as far as muleys/elk? I'll be standing by ready with any serial numbers, etc.

fisherman66
May 17, 2007, 03:09 PM
Is it a tang safety model(I love those old tang safeties)? You have plenty 'nuf gun for your purposes.

I hate to make rash generalizations, but I'll try...old Bushnell bad, new Bushnell better, Elite Bushnell 3200 good, 4200 very good.

cunanse
May 17, 2007, 03:11 PM
It's the tang safety. It has a Bushnell Sportview. No idea how old.

fisherman66
May 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
It might work fine for ya, but you might want to compare it to other scopes at dusk. 75% of my shots are in very low light. I usually can't see the game with the naked eye. I tend to be pretty picky with my optics for that reason. If you choose to replace the scope I'd look at the Bushnell 3200 or Sightron as a good starting place. I believe they offer the best bang for the buck. Forgive the pun.

Jseime
May 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
I would maybe replace the scope that is on there now. Dont forget that the 7mm Mag is a big performer and to get all that performance you will need optics that are not limiting. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 on my .270 and I love it. That rifle should be dy-no-mite in the deer and elk fields.

hoghunting
May 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
You might also contact Ruger as they had a recall on the overtravel screw for the trigger on the tang safety model. It was for a few year's production and I don't recall the serial number range. They'll sent you the replacement screw and the allen wrench with instructions. Very easy replacement.

support_six
May 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
One advantage to the original M77's versus the M77 II is that the older rifle holds one more round in the magazine than the newer model – at least in my .30-06. Not sure about the other calibers.

cunanse
May 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, guys. I will check into the recall. My m77 holds three rounds in ths magazine. Does your .30-odd hold four, then?

fisherman66
May 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
If it held 4 it would be 30-even.

I always considered the Enfield 30-odd.

srtrax
May 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FA-SafetyAnnouncements-RI.html

essexcounty
May 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
The only ones I have purchased are fixed 4X and I have used them on Mil-surps, etc. that don't warrant a high dollar scope. I have had no problems, but I would shy away from variables and I wouldn't count on one for a high bucks hunting trip. I have nothing but good to say about the 3200 and 4200 series. Enjoy Yourself. Essex

Gbro
May 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
The SportView was a very cheap but effective scope. I have one yet but i do prefer the Leopold III.

That replacement screw for the Ruger is BS. If your overtravel screw has bad nylock insert just remove it and leave the hole open. Its easy to test, just attempt to back out that overtravle screw with very little torque. If its stable leave it. On mine the screw turned as easy as a a watch stem. The nylock didn't contact the threads. The new'er ones have that screw epoxied.

If the gun is as well used as the condition reflects, the barrel may be HX. Of course the Bench will tell all.

cunanse
May 19, 2007, 09:34 PM
The barrel has recently become my latest concern. I looked up the serial, and my model dates back to 1978. A lot of bullets could have been sent downrange on that puppy. I've heard that 7-rem's have a shorter barrel life. If it's still good, should I expect to see 1" or less at 100 yards? What are the signs of a toasted bore?

Fremmer
May 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Nice find on the gun, Cunase.

See how she shoots before you worry about replacing the scope or other parts. Clean the heck out of it, take a look at the innards to make sure there's no rust or other trouble, and then shoot several brands of ammo through it (which is really the only way to tell whether the rifle is accurate).

Good luck!

P.S. That'll be a great mule/elk gun!

Edited to add: the fact that it was made in 1978 doesn't concern me. It's a 7mm mag hunting gun, and a lot of times those guns are only shot once or twice a year (if that). As long as it was cleaned and oiled, it'll probably be O.K. The average joe hunter doesn't shoot nearly enough to wear out a barrel, magnum or otherwise.

tuck2
May 19, 2007, 10:37 PM
I have two old Ruger tang safety rifles. One is a 22-250 and the other is a 220 Swift. The old rifles have a trigger pull adjustment screw by the trigger. Clean the barrel with a copper eating solvent. Test fire the rifle using a bench rest and sand bags. If you get poor groups remove the barreled action out of the stock and look for areas where the barrel has contacted the wood.The barrel should only contact the raised area in the fore arm. The 7 MM Rem Mag is a fine rifle for deer and elk . I free floated the barrel, glass beded the action and adjusted the trigger pull down to 3 Lbs on my two rifles.

Full-choke
May 20, 2007, 09:48 AM
Never shot a M77, always wanted too, just never have. However, the Bushnell Sportview I have experience with two older models. I have one mounted on a 700 22-250 that shoots as true as it did when it came out of the box years ago. My brother has one on a Marlin 336 30-30, and it (both gun and scope) have seen their better day. It still shoots alright and puts the bullet in the general area that it is supposed to go but it ain't nothing to call home about. It will kill a deer or groundhog if you want it to, but it ain't spectacular. Depends on how rough it is really...

Ryan

support_six
May 20, 2007, 07:23 PM
cunanse, yes, my M77 (older model) holds five rounds of .30.06 in the magazine and one in the chamber. My "Instruction Manual" dated 2/82 says, "Magazine capacity is 3 cartridges with Magnum calibers, 4 cartridges with caliber 220 Swift and 5 cartridges with all other calibers."

cunanse
May 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
So would that be considered 5+1, then Support Six? Thanks for your posts, guys. I will clean it out as well as I can and try digging in and sighting in. I have taken it out, and though I haven't taken it to the bench, yet, it seems to put the bullet where I want it to go. I'm still a little flinchy with it, since it's my first prolonged high-power experience (excluding the M-16 in the ole Army, which shouldn't really count).

P.S. Should I zero at 100 yards for about 1.5" high, and then go to 200 for center mass?

support_six
May 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
cunanse, yes, 5+1. You could either load 5 in the magazine and allow the bolt to chamber the top one for 4+1, or load five in the magazine and hand feed one in the chamber and close the bolt while holding down the top round in the magazine so the bolt doesn't feed it.