View Full Version : My 1st turkey hunt....

April 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
Finally got to go turkey hunting this morning.... What a blast. Didnt bring one home, but Im happy just the same. I had a gobbler sit at 100 yds for an hour and 1/2. Just strut, strut gobble gobble.... Im hooked. I kinda blew it when I first got out of the truck. dropped the tailgate, turned around, and watched him fly out of his roost. I was soooooooo busted. He wanted to come back to me, but to no avail. Tomorrow is a new day, and Im feelin lucky.

April 21, 2007, 05:39 PM
Good luck the next time. Turkey hunting certainly is addicting. Next time a gobbler stops and wont come any closer, quietly sneak back away from him and call a little. He will think your leaving and heading the opposite direction and hopefully be more motivated to head your way. Have fun and good luck.

April 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
Good luck the next time. Turkey hunting certainly is addicting

Yep, +1. Keep at it and you'll get one and have a blast. Try to be in place within 30 yards of the roost before sunup, and if he hasn't changed his roosting spot from being perturbed by you, he'll probably come right to you when he flies down from the roost. Just do LIGHT, SPARING intermittent yelps while the sun is coming up, and have your decoys out.

April 21, 2007, 07:34 PM
Kinda learning as I go. Watchin every turkey show I can find...

April 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
I've had great luck by mastering the purr during late season, followed up by light yelps and clucks. I only get agressive and loud on windy days. You know you are calling right when the owls start hooting at you in the morning.:D

April 22, 2007, 02:20 PM
No activity! Went back today and didnt see a bird? thought maybe I spooked em off so I checked out another spot, no turkeys....... The weather has been on the warm side so far, can that effect em? It went from 20's to 80's in a couple of days. Its supposed to rain tonite, and sprinkle through the morning. whats your experience with the weather effecting activity?:confused:

April 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
Last year I went to my place (800 acres) and called and called and called opening weekend. Nothing but hoots from the owls...It made me nervous because I was trying to find birds for a charity hunt I gave away at a silent auction, and I really wanted the guys who bought it to have a great hunt. Well, the hunt for the following week got postponed and the next week we went. The birds were all over the place. We killed 3 birds in one day. Each hunter bagged one. Bottom line, sometimes they just get lock jaw. When they do, slow down, talk less. If they aren't talking, don't get too agressive. Sometimes, they just won't talk, and that's turkey hunting. You got to be there when they are "in the mood"...kinda like my wife...:D

Hope she doesn't read that!:eek:

April 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
hiked about a 2/3 of a mile to my setup today. Tried to sneak in behind them, and anticipate where the would go. Set my decoys up on top of a hill so the tom could see them when the sun came up. Thought this would do it for sure...... naaaaaaaaaa The sun came up and they disappeared. 6:15 I spotted them with my glasses a good 1/2 mile away. Hills, and creek bottoms the whole way. I wasnt going to them, and I doubt seriously, they were leaving the corn to run to me. I started purring to see if that would work, when a big female yote came dashing out of the grass. She stopped 2 feet short of the decoys, licking her chops! The wind was gusting to 30mph and made the decoys look alive.... Fooled the yote.... Needless to say I didnt get a Tom, but I learned alot, and didnt come home empty handed... Ill be back out for the 4th season, and will keep you posted. Thank you all greatly for the tips. and encouragement..

April 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
just keep with it - this was my third turkey season, never been hunting with anyone else or had any help, just some videos and reading. i had a nice bird within 2 1/2 hours on land i'd never set foot on before - the area i had scouted had too many cars parked up so i tried a new place. but it was almost anticlimactic because it came relatively easily this year. last year i got a bird in my last legal hour of hunting, only a jake. the year before, my first year out, i got skunked. but it was so much fun. this year it was two gobbles and bang. in years past, i got so frustrated and demoralized when i just don't get any calls back, or they refuse to come in, or they quiet down so you try to move and then get busted... emotional rollercoaster. and then when i finally get one, it is just the greatest thing ever. i still feel very lucky this year, but i almost wish it had lasted longer. hang onto your enthusiasm and enjoy the outdoors, and the rare opportunity to chat with big bird.