View Full Version : beef/venison cuts

January 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
I've heard many answers to this and still don't know the correct one. I call the 2 long, oval, strips of meat that run along each side of spine of a deer, the back straps. I call the 2 strips located in the cavity, toward the rear of the deer, the tender loins (the best meat in my opinion). What are these called on a cow? Some guys have told me the backstraps are the filet mignons, others have said the tenderloins (what I call the tenderloins) are. I've tried serching and have found many charts on beef but none have the 2 cavity strips on it. So? Any proffessional butchers out there? Thanks,

January 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
On deer the 'stuff' on the back has been called either backstrap and/or tenderloin. The little critters on the inside of the deer...and damned tasty too...I always heard called "the fish".

I am not a butcher or an expert, that's just what I've always heard then called.

January 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
"Back Strap" and "Hanging Tenderloin"

January 18, 2007, 12:52 AM
Tenderloin or fillet [ in french Filet Mignon]

January 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Filet mignon is the center portions of the tenderloins located inside the cavity on a cow. What you (me and many) refer to as the backstraps on a deer are the rib steaks (or prime rib), porterhouse and T-Bones on a cow.

January 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
Correct. And as an FYI, the Sirloin is the cut from the hip (usually where the backstraps end all the way to the tail in a straight line cut from where you removed the backstrap.

January 18, 2007, 01:27 PM
I call both of them tasty.

el Divino
January 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
tenderloin (inside) and loin (outside)

January 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
That's correct, the backstrap is actually called a loin, and from a cow produces filet steaks, such as "filet mignon", and the inner meat is called a tenderloin on both deer & cow. I like the loin just a smidge better than the tenderloin on a deer, myself, but they are both excellent.

The tenderloin from a cow is bigger than the loin on a deer!

January 30, 2007, 07:33 PM
NRA4life has got it correct, I believe

January 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
o.k...I'll get a little more technical...

The loin is actually the whole hindquarter. The Sirloin...is that cut above the hip hence the prefix sir which I think means either above or adjoined to...I'm too lazy to check the actual meaning, but you get my drift. Your New York Strip would be that part of the backstrap which begins where the ribs end, and runs along the bone toward the hip bone. (there are those small bones along the spine...and is directly above the Tenderloin in the inside). Your Ribeye cut is that portion of the backstrap that runs from the back of the ribs up to the shoulder region. In front of that starts your chuck. The shoulder is where you get your 7 bone steak if you cut the shoulder w/ a meat saw directly across the shoulder blade. The brisket would be the meat that runs across the chest...in my case...I call that chili meat...along w/ the rib and interior and exterior flank...And the shoulders when I don't blow them to pieces...:D

January 31, 2007, 02:56 PM
This link might help...you need Adobe to view it, tho:


The Gamemaster
January 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
The back straps on a deer is also called the Chops in some parts of the world.

I get into fights all the time when people tell me that they ate the tenderloins for supper and I ask where they came from and the point to the back straps.

When you suggest to some people that the tenderloins are on the inside = they get grossed out and will even tell you that if you want them you can have them.

Funny thing was I gave a outlaw some tenderloins and they were starving and they said that they were stringy and not very good. That's the last time I ever try to help them out.

It takes several large deer to get enough tenderloins to make a meal for a whole family.

February 1, 2007, 02:27 PM
Now these are the definitions of backstraps. Hopefully I got the picture attached right.