View Full Version : Rechamber Help

Big Smitty
November 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
I have a browning A Bolt in .30-06 and want to rechamber it and possibly rebarrel it. Can I rechamber/rebarrel it in .300 short mag, .338 federal, 7mm mag? I have a Rem 700 in .270 for deer hunting and want to move up to a heavy hitter for elk and possibly African game. I am not real experienced in rechamber/rebarrel moves. I just do not want another rifle and want to know what i can do with what I have.

Any advise is appreciated.

November 7, 2006, 12:20 AM
I can't answer all of your questions But a 7mm Mag is .284 diameter (to small) to be shot through a 30-06 barrel to go to a rimmed mag case you propably need a new bolt also hope that helps some

November 7, 2006, 01:25 PM
Try a .35 Whelan
- It should be obvious that rechambering to a shorter or smaller in any dimension cartridge can be done only by setting the barrel back, possibly way back, and so leaving a gap in the bedding. And of course the bolt face must match the cartridge base.

Short magnums do better in shorter actions with shorter bolt throws or why bother. Feeding with a substantially different cartridge may require further modifications beyond the chamber and bore.

Equally obviously the bore cannot be made smaller but it can be made bigger.

Thus the existing barrel rebored and chambered for a .35 Whelan will accomplish the objective of a proven elk cartridge while keeping the existing pieces.

Equally obviously a trade-in or a private sale buying another rifle will allow a range of options at less cost.

James K
November 7, 2006, 05:28 PM
First, you can't rechamber to a round with a different bullet diameter. For example, you can't rechamber a .30-06 to .35 Whelan or .270. To change bullet diameter, you have to rebarrel.

You also must rechamber to a cartridge that is larger in all dimensions than the original cartridge. You can't rechamber .30-06 to .308 Winchester, for example, or even the reverse, since .308 is larger at the shoulder than .30-06. You can't rechamber to a cartridge longer than the magazine. You can rechamber .30-06 to something like the .308 Norma Magnum, which was developed for just that purpose. Some rechambering/rebarreling may require bolt and/or magazine work, which adds to the cost.

If the prospective case is shorter, you can have the barrel removed, re-threaded, and set back. That will work OK on sporter barrels, but not on some milsurp barrels if the original confuguration is to be retained. (For example, setting the barrel back may mean the bayonet no longer fits, or the sights are off to one side.)