View Full Version : Worthless Check Writer - Unresolved

September 1, 2006, 03:47 AM
I sold some Glock parts to a customer and he sent me a personal check. I deposited the check on July 10th and it came back as insufficient funds.

I have attempted to contact him in regards to this matter and he has still not made the check good and will not return any of my e-mails.

I have waited till now to post this in an attempt to give him every opportunity to return my messages and make the check good and still nothing.

Hopefully this notice will keep anyone else from conducting business with this person and getting burned. His name is listed below.

William H. Cohen

I will update this post if he decides to make the worthless check good.

September 1, 2006, 01:02 PM
Was it on this Forum? What's his forum name?

September 1, 2006, 01:07 PM
I do not know his forum name as he contacted me directly via e-mail and did not reference any particular board or forum.

fairview mick
September 1, 2006, 06:47 PM
Try this phone number. I got it from a search engine.
602 992 4892

September 1, 2006, 07:02 PM
Be careful about posting his personal information as it may be treated as libel (http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/libel_and_slander/). I believe that posting on a forum is considered publishing. I hope you get your money, but don't open yourself up to get sued, even if he is in the wrong. I would delete his personal info and ask the other poster to delete the phone # as well.

Writing bad check is a crime and I believe that is how you should treat it. You can call the police and have them handle it. I used to work in a restaurant that offered delivery service. Some customers would say they didn't have time to hit the ATM and and whip out the check book. rather than lose the sale and possibly the customer, I accepted them. I few of those came back as NSF or closed accounts. I treated the closed accounts as intentional rip offs but I made a few attempts to collect from the NSFs. The police will go after them.

I suggest you ask for a photocopy of an ID before accepting check again. I was able to track donw a few of my customers and "convince" them to pay up. When it comes to food, I feel bad for them since they are obviously having financial difficulties. I had a business to run though and frankly, we can't afford to lose money either. In your case, the purchase was not for necessities. You have already tried contacting him several times and he has ignored you. Time to call the cops.

One other option is to defer shipping until payment is received and clears. You might lose sales that way but that a business decision you have to make.

September 1, 2006, 08:23 PM
+1 on waiting for the check to clear.

In today's day and age, I had thought that had become almost an unwritten rule of doing business between private parties. That's the only way I would ever do business as a seller, and I don't have a problem with people holding my personal check until it clears. But I believe anymore than a day delay in shipping after the check has cleared is rude.

September 5, 2006, 05:01 PM
I am not a lawyer!

So take this for what it's worth....but I have read, repeatedly, that any sale that involves the crossing of State lines (especially if the US Mail is used) is potentially a Federal crime, and that Postal Inspectors take this seriously.

Might want to Google some of those terms and see what happens. You might have some leverage there.

Let us know how it works out. I have been ripped off on-line (over five years ago, long before I heard of a lot of things) so I can empathise.

September 8, 2006, 04:46 PM
Have you tried to resubmit the check?
Keep resubmitting it it may clear. Unless you get a fee for that......but, I think he gets the fee not you?

Blackwater OPS
September 9, 2006, 05:34 AM
So take this for what it's worth....but I have read, repeatedly, that any sale that involves the crossing of State lines (especially if the US Mail is used) is potentially a Federal crime, and that Postal Inspectors take this seriously.

They don't. And it's not libel if its true. Your best bet is to contact local PD where the check was written. Myself, I would ask for postal MO ONLY. No reason anyone can't get one of those.

September 17, 2006, 10:44 PM
In Arizona, we have the Bad Check Enforcement Agency. You just send the check to them, and they do their best to get your money. I have never been disapointed by them yet, but several times I did have to wait a year or longer. I usually first call the client, and advise them that my service fee is $35.00, and if I receive payment within 48 Hours, no more will be said about the matter. Otherwise I submit their info& eventually the state will catch up w/ them. Then it's off to learn all about how to balance your checkbook. I heard the fine is like $200.00 also.