View Full Version : Creating a SBS

March 17, 2006, 02:15 PM
I want to build a short barreled shotgun for a home defense weapon. I figure I’ll buy a used Remington 870 put a surefire forend on it, a speedfeed pistol grip, a side saddle shell holder, and a +1 tube extension. I want to register it with the ATF and then cut the barrel down to about 14” But I don’t know how to go about registering it. I know it will cost $200 and take months but if anyone has any information beyond that I would appreciate it.
Has anyone gone through this?

Does the gun have to be registered to me before I can apply to make it an SBS or can I just buy a used one for cash and not worry about the paperwork?

Do I need to go through an NFA dealer just to register a gun I already own as an SBS?

Do I get the appropriate forms from the local ATF office?

Thanks for any help guys I just didn’t feel comfortable calling the ATF office and start talking about 14” barrel shotguns before I knew a little about how to go about it.

March 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
You can make it yourself on a BATFE Form 1. See my post here for more info: