View Full Version : Shooting terms?

March 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
When shooting, what is meant by "hammers"? I've read this on posts at other sites and there appears to be some discrepancies on what some think "hammers" are?

Also correct me if I'm wrong: Double taps consist of two shots with one sight picture. The difference between double taps and controlled pairs is that when shooting controlled pairs, there are two sight pictures, correct?

March 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
I didn't think there was any question of what a hammer was ! However there are pistols that have a concealed hammer such as the HK P9 and others that are striker fired [no hammer] such as the Glock or HK P7.....Double tap sight picture ? The double tap means that the second shot is made before the recoil has completely moved the gun , that is as soon as the slide has gone forward and locks....Don't get hung up on the double tap because proper real world rules are to shoot and continue to shoot until the BG is no longer a threat !!

March 8, 2006, 09:53 PM
I wasn't referring to the hammer as in firearms nomenclature. I was referring to the term as in a sequence of shooting multiple rounds. The term "hammers" has been used to describe the number of rounds fired at a target. I'm curious as to the method of application, the correct number of rounds and the manner in which they are displaced?

matthew temkin
March 11, 2006, 05:35 PM
I believe a hammer is used to get two very fast shots while being allowed to use the sights.
It is done by firing two quick shots but with just one sight picture.