View Full Version : FFL, Class II question

August 18, 2000, 12:39 PM
What do you have to have to be a gunsmith?

What is the difference between FFL, Class II, and Class III?

What do you have to do and pay to get each one?


George Stringer
August 19, 2000, 08:21 AM
Nedfig, if you smith under someone else's FFL you don't need one of your own. Working at a gunshop, etc. If you want to go into business for yourself you will need a Class 01 -- Dealer in Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices. The cost for the license is $200 and it's good for 3 years. After that it's $90 per year to renew it.

I'm not familiar with the Class II. The 01 doesn't allow you to deal with machine guns, sawed off shotguns, etc. The Class III covers these. I'm not sure but I think the cost for the Class III is $1000 a year. For any FFL license you have to contact the BATF office in your area and ask for an application. You fill out 2 copies, get fingerprinted and photographed. One copy of everything goes to the BATF along with your $200 and one goes to the local CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer)in your area. That can be the Chief of Police in your city or the county Sheriff. Then it's a 30 to 60 day wait before you receive your license. Shortly after getting it you will be contacted by the BATF and an Compliance Inspector will set up an appointment to come by and go over the regulations, forms etc with you. George

August 26, 2000, 03:53 PM
Class 2 is manuf of NFA, class 3 is dealer, much better to make yourself than pay someone else do it. Also need a regular FFL to be class 2 dealer (03) or an 07 regular FFL (manufacturer) to be class 2 NFA manufacturer. Cost is $500 a year, Due for federal fiscal year july thru june. Can keep anything you make (except for machineguns) those must be sold or destroyed when you give up license. All other goodies, short rifle or shotgun, supp. you get to keep.