PDA

View Full Version : Rechambering Remington 700

DTakas
February 6, 2006, 07:38 PM
I’ve had a Remington 700P for several years now I bought it chambered in 300 RUM. I think the year I bought it was the first or second year that cartridge was available in that gun. Anyway the price never really fell for the rounds and I’m considering getting the gun rechambered in 300 Win. mag. The round is a more standard round for long range shooting and is compatible with a high capacity detachable magazine system where as the 300 RUM is not. The RUM outperforms the Win. Mag. But I don’t think the Win Mag. Is incapable of doing anything I want the gun to do. Honestly, both are probably overkill for most of what I use the gun for.

Anyway what would it take to have the gun rechambered?
Ballpark of what it would cost?
Both are .30 cal. rounds so could this be done without having to replace the barrel?

somerled
February 6, 2006, 08:28 PM
Check with Dan Pedersen in Prescott, AZ.

His website is: http://www.cutrifle.com/

918v
February 6, 2006, 11:56 PM
Given that the 300 RUM swallows a 300 Winnie, no you cannot rechamber without replacing the barrel.

tINY
February 7, 2006, 03:21 AM
Not only that, the boltface is too big, so the bolt will have to be replaced.

You're probably better off buying a rifle chambered in 300win mag (or whatever other round you fancy). Buy a set of dies and a couple hundred cases for the RUM and save them for someday when you sell it or feel like reloading for it.

-tINY

joshua
February 7, 2006, 03:40 AM
What Tiny said. You can't set the barrel back enough to clean the ultra chamber for the smaller Winnie round, and you'll have slop where the rim fits in the bolt. Sell the rifle or reload for it to save you money. josh

DTakas
February 7, 2006, 09:03 AM
That’s Disappointing.

What’s a good asking price for a used Remington 700P chambered for 300 RUM in excellent condition?

joshua
February 7, 2006, 09:37 AM
What do you want for it? Since the Sendero has been out of the market now the next best thing would be the 700P only in the magnum caliber now. Depending on how many rounds you shot out of it, if you shot more than 200 rounds out of it some folks consider it very used because of the amount of gas the RUM belches. Start asking 500 for it with no scope and see if you could live with that. josh

DTakas
February 7, 2006, 10:20 AM
73 Rounds through it. (I save brass) If I sell I think I'll sell it with the 9-13" harris bipod, Cheekrest, Springfield Armory 6-20x56mm Illuminated Mill Dot Reticle Government Model Scope with 2 stackable sunshades & Leupold Rings and base.

I'm not sure if I want annother Police model I'd like something just like it but blued instead of that rough finish the police model comes with and as cheep of a stock as possable since I'd be upgrading anyway. Flutes in the barrel would be nice too. Obviously chambered in 300 Win. Mag.

slabsides
February 7, 2006, 06:49 PM
Seems like you got a pretty nice rig already. Why not just put a couple of hundred into loading tools and supplies and stay with the RUM?
O'course, if you're just looking for an excuse to get a new rifle...;)