PDA

View Full Version : Black Oxide Coating

Ace12
February 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
i was wanting some opinions on the "Black Oxide" coating that Winchester puts on their " Ballistic Silvertips". Does it harm the barrel in any way, or is it pretty safe?

Ace12
February 5, 2006, 09:25 PM
Is this the same thing as "Moly coating" ?

Ace12
February 5, 2006, 10:01 PM
It sur is hard to get replies here.

Samuel2001
February 6, 2006, 01:27 AM
It's not hard to get replies here at all, just have to be patient till someone that actually knows what he's talking about shows up. Unlike other boards where most chime in not knowing if they are right or not, most guys around here will not answer if not sure. Most don't want to send you on a wild goose chase or get you hurt cause of their answer.

That said, I've been always led to belive that "Black Oxide" was just plain blueing and could'nt hurt or harm anything, and unlike "Molly Coating" it does'nt build up in your bore.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will chime in and set me straight! AND that's a good thing! ;)

Handy
February 6, 2006, 08:17 AM
Sam has it.

Moly is a coating, and supposedly helps accuracy (though this is debatable). Black oxide is a controlled oxidation on some reactive metals. I have no idea what it does on the rounds you mention, aside from look "tactical".