PDA

View Full Version : Need information

RefLuddite
February 5, 2006, 07:05 PM
I thought I posted this before but I don't see it, guess I goofed. Can you explain the following; what does the 10 in a 10/22 mean?

What is a .22 1.056" brass case used in?

What does the HMR stand for regarding a .17? Thanks

500 SD
February 5, 2006, 07:14 PM
The 10 is the amount of rounds the rotory mag can hold in the 10/22. The HMR stands for Honady Magnum Rimfire. The 1.052 length is for a .22 Mag rim fire.

RefLuddite
February 5, 2006, 07:31 PM
I see I goofed and have two posts re: the same questions going... sorry sorry. Rotary to me means something like a revolver. Since when are there rotary magazines on a rifle...I'm confused.

Thanks for HMR, What rifle shoots a .22 magnum load?

trigger happy
February 5, 2006, 07:35 PM
In 1964 the Ruger .44 Carbine received a companion-looking piece when Ruger announced the 10/22 rimfire carbine. One of the outstanding characteristics of the 10/22 was the barrel attachment system with a dual-screw dovetail or wedge block system that provides exceptional barrel/receiver rigidity.
The rifle also has a patented detachable rotary magazine. The 10/22 has been and remains an outrageously popular .22 with six major variations: Standard Model, Standard Model with stainless-steel barrel, All-Weather, Deluxe Sporter, International, and Target. And new for 1999 is a .22 Magnum version!

Dfariswheel
February 5, 2006, 08:10 PM
Rotary rifle magazines were first developed in the late 1890's.

Rifles like the American Savage lever action and several European bolt action rifles used magazines with rotating mechanisms.

Ruger re-invented or at least re-introduced the rotary magazine on the 10/22 rifle.
This is another case of "what's old is new". MOST modern gun mechanisms are ideas that were tried long ago without success.

Although 10 is the number of rounds it holds, and 22 is the caliber, 10/22 is actually the NAME of the Ruger rifle.

RefLuddite
February 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks, guess I'll have to go into Edmonton and see a 10/22 upfront and personal. Of the six, now seven, models what are they made for. Do they take a standard .22 long rifle cartridge?

Ac1d0v3r1d3
February 6, 2006, 03:16 AM
hey RefLuddite i posted in your other thread already, but incase you cant find that one again heres the info again.

The ruger 10/22 fires .22 Long Rifle ammo, unless otherwise stated on the gun. i believe they can also be had in .22 magnum and .17hmr.
the rotary mag isnt much like a revolvers cylinder. Try going to www.google.com clicking the "images" link and searching "ruger 10/22" you'll find tons of photos. one thing you'll notice is the vast ammount of accessories you can find for them.