PDA

View Full Version : $1000 Garand..how nice a gun can I buy?

aspen1964
February 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
..how nice a Garand should I be able to get for a grand?

Powderman
February 4, 2006, 11:36 PM
This route might cost you a bit more than a grand, but you'll have a fine firearm indeed.

1. Procure a Garand receiver from CMP. (www.odcmp.com)
2. Buy a good stock. Some good, serviceable wood stocks are available from Boyd's. A little bit of hand work and liberal applications of Tru-Oil will make it look real nice.

3. Send it to a reputable gunsmith to finish the build. Two that I know of are Fulton Armory and Dean's Gun Restorations. You can go with a regular GI barrel, up to a Kreiger heavy match stainless. (Hint: If you see someone offering Criterion barrels, I believe they are also made by Kreiger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

You can also save money by shopping for the internals yourself. Make sure you get GI parts, which you can usually find relatively easily.

jbrowningfan
February 4, 2006, 11:40 PM
I would look for the rifle, not what I had to spend. Have you ever owned one?
Today at the TSRA gunshow in Mesquite TX, there was a seasoned citizen with an M1.
He carried it around and everyone inquired about it. He was asking $700.00 for it. It was a Springfield with a 1942 BBL. The finish was super!
My Advice, look alot, don't get in a hurry.
I own a H&R w/1954 rework BBL, excellent competition rifle.
Do you want a shooter, or one that looks good?
That should help with the decision.

aspen1964
February 4, 2006, 11:55 PM
true...the gun first then the price..it seems that very good Garand speciamans are cheaper than equally good carbine examples...I want a good-looking shooter..I am not much of a beater gun owner...I like guns that look as good as they can shoot...

Retired
February 5, 2006, 04:43 AM
I bought a CMP Collector's Grade M-1 when they were $1,000, and I'm pretty happy with it. They are $1,400 now. Mine is a SA from 1954. It looks good, and I like the fact that it is original G.I.

But if you want one that looks great, I agree with Powderman: order a CMP M-1 receiver, and send it to Fulton Armory (or similar) for a custom build. They can make it look like a new U.S.G.I rifle, and they guarantee under 2.5 MOA.