PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fit Question...

Guyon
February 4, 2006, 04:07 PM
Bought a Win 70 in .30-06 after I heard the news about Winchester.

Am putting a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on it and was trying the low Tally Lightweight mounts. With the mounts situated to allow the scope as far back as possible and with the scope as far back in the mounts as it will go, I'm still not quite there on the proper eye relief. It's close, but I still have to stretch my neck just a little further forward than my natural cheek weld.

Could different mounts help or is this more likely a stock fit issue? How does one go about fitting a stock properly?

I'm 6'1" and have never had problems with a factory stock fit before. Of course, my only other hunting rifles are a Rem 700 and a Marlin .30-30, so I don't have an abundance of experience in this area.

918v
February 4, 2006, 06:23 PM
You should get a longer scope (6-18x40?), or different mounts that overhang the ejection port on the action (ugly solution) to get the scope closer to your eye. Long actions will do that to you. Chopping the stock is not a good idea.

Guyon
February 5, 2006, 03:10 PM
The 6-18x40 would really be overkill in the magnification department, so I'm going to look into different mounts. Any suggestions?

918v
February 5, 2006, 05:29 PM
Extension bases installed in reverse will do it, but they will overhang the ejection port. A Badger Ordnance 0 MOA picatinny rail with some Warne Maxima QR rings would look semi-sporting/ not-too-tactical, and would allow you to move the scope closer to your eye. A 6-18, however, is not really overkill. You can keep it at 6x for hunting with plenty of field of view, but the 18x comes in handy when working-up loads.

Guyon
February 5, 2006, 06:12 PM
Someone on THR mentioned a Leupold mount with RVF "reversible front." Anybody ever try these?

918v
February 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
That is the extension base I am talking about.