PDA

View Full Version : Finish on 700 Police Barrel

DTakas
February 3, 2006, 02:36 PM
OK I tried searching for this but to no avail. What exactly is the finish on the barrel of my Remington 700P I read on the Remington Law Enforcement site that it is a parkerization process but I thought Parkerizing was kind of gray. This finish is BLACK and it sparkles in bright sunlight not to mention it’s texture. It has a rougher finish than that of any other gun I’ve handled. I assume it is a combination of things that create the final product anyone have any light on the subject? I took the rifle to a gunsmith to have him check it out and quote me a price for threading the barrel to install a muzzle brake on it. He was very doubtful that he could match the finish on the barrel (and I didn’t expect him to be able to) but he was curious about it and asked me if I could dig anything up on it. If anyone knows how it’s done I’ll pass it along to him and who knows maybe he’ll be able to duplicate it.

Jim Watson
February 3, 2006, 04:00 PM
There are formulae for black phosphating. Or they might just have parkerized the steel and then dunked it in the bluing tank which gives a very flat black finish. I'd say the "sparkle" is likely manganese phosphate and that the Parkerizing tank had manganese and maybe other additives in the mix.

DTakas
February 4, 2006, 01:24 AM
Any guesses as to the texture? Maybe they just blast the barrel with something really rough before they finish it?

RaetherEnt
February 4, 2006, 01:38 AM
Hey there everyone! I have to tell you guys I have been lurking for a while and love your site! Now that I finally have a question that may be worth asking...

I just purchased a used 700 Sendero BUT...It has the same coating on the barrel as a PSS, very strange. And, it is NOT fluted. The barrel looks EXACTLY like a PSS. Its the only one I have ever seen like it, as every other Sendero I have owned has the SS Fluted Barrel. The guys at the shop I bought it at told me it was a rare rifle, and of course I believed them because I have never seen one myself, and I've seen a lot of 700 Sendero's. Anyone have any wisdom on this?

When I first saw it I thought it was just a PSS barrel on it, but the barrel itsself is marked 700 Sendero...Maybe a late model Sendero, just before the PSS came out?

Hmmm...