PDA

View Full Version : S&W 76 Carbine?

.351winchester
February 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
Anyone own one of these? I was thinking of maybe getting one (leaning toward a Romanian AK first as it is more useful,and less expensive). I know the SMG is known for reliability and was wondering if the same can be said of the carbine. I think it would be a blast to plink with, and would choose it over a real rifle or shotgun for HD due to reduced noise/muzzle blast, etc.
Only thing that would be a hassle is being under 30" folded(I'm assuming the stock does fold), may require a pistol permit in my area, and I can just see the sheriffs saying well this is a rifle we can't register it as a pistol...that and it is like pulling teeth to get a gun special ordered in all the shops around here.
I had been thinking of the Hi Point carbine also for the same reasons above, but there is something I really like about the looks of this baby. Like the old Sterling carbines but a conventional magazine location.
Just looking for some input from owners. Thanks

.351winchester
February 9, 2006, 11:01 PM
Anyone heard anything about one even?

utaherrn
February 10, 2006, 05:50 AM
I believe the semi-auto version was made years ago by an outfit called MK Arms, now defunct?, but can be seen in ads in the Shotgun News now and again for $500.00 or so.
Mags are another story, as I've never seen them offered for sale (haven't looked that hard though), I'm not sure what the price is up to these days. Not sure that there is any supply of spare parts either.

Having shot the real S&W 76 years ago, I thought it was fine. Typical SMG. There are better and there are worse, IMHO. YMMV.

Were it me, I'd look at a Colt or Rock River 9mm AR-15 instead. Parts readilly available, no shortage of accessories/add-ons/goodies/trash.
Oh yeah, I have a Colt, love it. Fun toy.

Anyone else seen any S&W 76 mags for sale lately?

.351winchester
February 10, 2006, 05:25 PM
Never even thought about mag availability, thanks for the tip.

JohnBrowning
February 10, 2006, 07:34 PM
You know what I would really like to see is a semi auto Ingram Model 6. I don't know how possible it would be to make one in closed bolt, but the originals had good reliability, nice Thompson style looks, cheap manufacturing and better handling qualities than Thompsons. A semi M6 would be quite neat. Too bad there's no market for it.

About the SW76, www.uzitalk.com has a forum dedicated to it. Any questions you might have about it can be readily answered there, plus I'm sure you could get whatever you needed for mags or parts by posting a want add in uzitalk's for sale forum.