PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Build or BUY

rcdan-o
February 3, 2006, 10:39 AM
I can buy the olympic arms plinker for $579 plus shipping and FFL from atlantic arms or:

I can build from deltron.com thier 16" rifle kit for $465 plus I need to buy a stripped lower ( $95 )

Bascially same money but am I gaining any better components with this "build rifle" I am not fond of iron sights so the kit from deltron gives me the mount rail to put a scope/halo on it.... Oly has the grab handle and iron sights....

Any input from the AR gurus out there is apprecaited!!!!

DnPRK
February 3, 2006, 11:54 AM
Unless the kit comes with a pre-assembled upper, you will need the tools to tighten the barrel nut to the upper receiver.

Personally, I'd do the kit and have the configuration I want. But I already have the tools.

XDoctor
February 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
I kind of built my first one. I bought a stripped Mega lower, a DPMS lower kit and a complete Mega upper. I'm glad I did it that way, it gave me an instant understanding of how the weapon operated and saved me quite a bit of cash. Think I paid a total of around $650 for the whole schebang.

Lycanthrope
February 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
Almost all kits come with assembled uppers. The lower is easy to assemble.

I would recommend a Stag lower from Eagle firearms for $85.

Then a J&T/Doublestar kit in the configuration you want. If you don't want a carry handle AR, the don't get one!

Deltrons are fine, but are about on par with a decent Oly in my opinion.

Don't let the "kit" stories scare you away. I've even built kits from the dreaded Model 1 sales and they have all run perfectly.

joeranger
March 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
I do not have the experience to build, but I would like to mix and match uppers and lowers. Is there any advantage to buying a complete rifle?

Bonstrosity
March 29, 2006, 02:50 PM
The big thing about building your own as opposed to an assembled one is that you can pick and choose what parts you want and what you don't. Mostly it has to do with how you want your sights to be. Plus a coupl eother things like the hand guards and the end of your barrel. I think this will be my next project for a gun.

chargedmr2
March 29, 2006, 02:53 PM
I do not have the experience to build, but I would like to mix and match uppers and lowers. Is there any advantage to buying a complete rifle?

Sure, the manufacturer will back the rifle with a warranty. BTW, building (I'm not even sure that term is justified...more like assembling) requires some tools, but experience is not needed as long as you are moderately mechanically inclined and can follow directions. Over on AR15.com, there are directions for each and every step of the way with nice pictures.

1BadF350
March 29, 2006, 03:21 PM
I didn't think manufacturers warrantied rifles not assembled by them? At least not with the same warranty as one of their complete rifles. Interesting.

Logs
March 29, 2006, 04:33 PM
I have built two AR's lowers myself, but bought the completed upper. For about $25 more you can get a lower already assembled. I wouldn't build another one myself. I found DPMS Complete Lowers for $225 at a shop last week. I would rather go with a complete gun.... My $.02

joeranger
March 29, 2006, 06:40 PM
OK, here is my question.
RRA Complete 24" Varmint A4 $1045
Complete Upper (Same Conf) $600
Complete lower $290

What am I missing?

Lycanthrope
March 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
What am I missing?

$155 worth of grief from the wife.......

zoomie
March 29, 2006, 07:11 PM
The federal excise tax. Spend the extra $155 on the wife and you'll score a great gun and score... nevermind. :)

Logs
March 30, 2006, 07:06 AM
I can build from deltron.com their 16" rifle kit for $465 plus I need to buy a stripped lower ( $95 )

When buying a stripped lower don't forget the "Parts Kit" will cost you $59 - $69 extra. Sometimes the parts kits don't come with a bolt. The above sounds like a good deal, just double check that all the parts are included.........

Places like www.kyimports.com have New Bushmaster 20 inch model uppers for $399 (no bolt) and then you can buy a Bushmaster Complete lower for $269. Add a bolt for $125-$150 depending on set up and you will have a nice BM rifle for around $800......

Or

You can get a new Double Star AR from www.centerfiresystems.com for $699 - $799.

Lycanthrope
March 30, 2006, 10:03 PM
You should be able to pull this off for $600. I built my Model 1 gun for $515 complete.

ozzy1038
April 1, 2006, 11:09 PM
Don't let the "kit" stories scare you away. I've even built kits from the dreaded Model 1 sales and they have all run perfectly.

What have you heard? I am planning a build with one of their kits.

I currently have a model 1 CAR upper that I have no issues with.

Lycanthrope
April 2, 2006, 06:15 AM
The Model 1 kits need a bit a honing of the bolt release hole (it's too tight for the roll pin.....I just used a drill bit). Other than that, mine's been perfect and I've vowed not to clean it until I have a malfunction. I've passed the 800 round mark with steel cased ammo......

I've heard all sorts of things about Model 1, the worst being cracked bolts. Out of the guns I've seen and shot, there have been no problems whatsoever. In fact, the finish on my M1 upper is better than my semi custom guns. The gas block has casting flash and is more grey than black, but the picatinny rail is cut clean. Accuracy on my 16" lightweight barrel is sub MOA.

I'd build another in a heartbeat.....and I will.....if this one happens to survive in the next 5000 rounds.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~jefwolfe/Model1small.JPG