PDA

View Full Version : Why Bother???

rahtreelimbs
February 1, 2006, 11:30 PM
Why does Winchester and Remington both have short mags that do pretty much the same thing???

Seems stupid to me!!!

Smokey Joe
February 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
Rahtreelimbs--They each want yr hard-earned $$, and neither wants to acknowledge the other. The marketplace will show which of the new short fat rounds people favor, and which will not survive.

It's not the first time that the 2 big US companies have done this: Consider the .270Win and the .280Rem. The marketplace spoke loud and clear there, and although the .280Rem fans will forever praise the ballistic superiority of that round, you now "never" see ammo for it on the shelf except in specialty stores.

I note that Rem has come out with rifles chambered for some of the Win short & fats, but that Win has yet to come out with a Rem short & fat chambered rifle AFAIK. If that's still the case, it tells you something about Rem and Wins' perception of the marketplace.

hksigwalther
February 2, 2006, 08:49 PM
IIRC, one of the biggest factors in Win having a leg up over Rem in the stubby race was that they beat them to the punch in getting their's out first.

Stiofan
February 2, 2006, 09:01 PM
I can't figure out why Ford, Chevy and Dodge all make pickups too.

Pretty strange, huh?

TPAW
February 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
Not matter how you cut the mustard, it all boils down to the almighty buck!

FirstFreedom
February 2, 2006, 09:20 PM
Why does Winchester and Remington both have short mags that do pretty much the same thing???

Seems stupid to me!!!

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. It's to sell more rifles!

youp
February 2, 2006, 09:25 PM
Actually the WSMs were the first to the market. No one checked to see if they would fit in the Remington Model 7. Oops, too long. Remington had been promoting its line of Ultra Mags (RUM) at the time, and that is how we got something called the RSAUM. Remington Short Action Ultra Mag.

Seems to me way too many people a hung up on acronyms.

jasonh
February 4, 2006, 12:50 PM
Remington was pretty quick about getting their short mag out on the market after Winchester, which leads me to believe they had both done the R&D around the same time, but Winchester beat them to the punch. With Remington already having invested all this money into the round, they had no choice but to go ahead and market the round and hope for the best.