PDA

View Full Version : How old do you have to be to...

ResidentEvilFan
February 1, 2006, 09:27 PM
Fire a rifle at a range? I live in Michigan. I know it's either 16 or 18. Not sure can some one tell me?

rgitzlaff
February 1, 2006, 09:30 PM
I live in Wisconsin, and there is no age limit that I am aware of here as long as you are with an adult.

Pezo
February 1, 2006, 10:06 PM
I dont think you can even buy ammo under 18.

Limeyfellow
February 1, 2006, 10:11 PM
Michigan law on firearms says...

No rifle, shotgun or handgun may be sold to a minor under 18 years of age, a convicted felon, or a person under indictment.

However there are no laws about using said firearms owned by the parents or legal guardians so it will depend mainly on the rules of the gunclubs.

DTakas
February 2, 2006, 01:05 AM
I don't think there is a limit for most rifles but I seem to remember hearing there were laws addressing being in possession of assault rifles under a certain age (18 I think). Maybe just something erroneous I heard second hand or maybe just local. Anyone know about that?

youp
February 2, 2006, 05:27 AM
R.E.F. I would check with the range where you plan to shoot

maas
February 2, 2006, 05:35 AM
its illeagle to own a rifle if your under 18 but how old were you guys when you started hunting i think i was 10 with a shotgun and 11 or 12 with a rifle. thats why they sell junior hunting licenses i think you can go to a range with an adult as soon as your old enuff to hunt

Ac1d0v3r1d3
February 2, 2006, 05:43 AM
i used to live in california (ya'll know how their gun laws are) and i used to take my dads pistols to the range alone when i was 17, nobody said anything. aslong as you dont try to buy pistol ammo or a pistol when your under 18 everything should be fine:)

OneInTheChamber
February 2, 2006, 07:06 PM
You should be over 18 transport firearms. (long guns and handguns in CA). I just keep telling myself 2 more months until I can finally go to the range on my own!

California Penal Code Section 12025 permits the transport of handguns, as long as they are in a locked container by anyone over the age of 18.

Rifles and shotguns ware not generally covered within the provisions of CA PC 12025 so they do not have to be in a locked container.

TPAW
February 2, 2006, 09:13 PM
Give the BATF a call............:rolleyes: