PDA

View Full Version : .444 Marlin vs my .450

Dirty_Harry
February 1, 2006, 05:11 PM
I kindof have that bigbore fever....:D

I was thinking about purchasing another marlin lever only in .444 this time (I have a .450)

I have an uncle who has a 444, and an .45-70 (both marlin levers) and he says the 444 shoots flatter, I was just wondering how the 444 measured up to the .450 and .45-70.

Alaskee
February 2, 2006, 01:02 PM
Generally the 444 uses bullets in the range of 240 grains through 300 grains. Your 450 will pick it up from there and range from 350 grains to over 500 grains. Velocity from the 450 will be slightly lower due to the heavier weight bullets thus more of a rainbow trajectory but will give better stopping power on BIG game and more bullet stability on looooooong shots due to the greater bullet length and mass. You just need to aim higher.
For comparison, a 300 grainer shot from a 444 will yield approximately 2200 FPS while a 350 grainer from your 450 will yield about 2100 FPS.
The 450 and 45-70 have similar balistics with the 450 having fewer factory ammunition choices. Both the 450 and 45-70 are quite versatile from a reloading standpoint.

Webleymkv
February 2, 2006, 09:02 PM
The main handicap of the .444 Marlin is that most of its loads use handgun bullets designed for the .44 Magnum and not designed for use in a rifle. You've already got a .450, why not get a lever gun in .44 Magnum? It'll be light recoiling and quite handy. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of the .44 Magnum from a rifle either. Bill Ruger used it on leopard with good success.

ATCHunter
February 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
Dirty Harry,

I have the Marlin 444 Outfitter (guide gun), or as I call it, "The Triple". Marlin no longer makes the Outfitter, which I think is unfortunate, but probably strictly a business decision on Marlin's part. I couldn't be happier with this rifle! So handy in the woods, which I'm sure you know from your 450. I've always had a thing for the .44 bullets over the .45's. I don't necessarily have a good reason for that, it's just one of those things. I took the factory sights off and put an XS ghost ring set on, which is great! I shot a nice 8 point whitetail with it last November. It came trotting by at about 25 yards in front of my stand, and I am confident that if I had my Browning 280 A-Bolt instead I would have never found him in the scope. As far as bullets go, your only choice used to be the 240 grain pistol bullet used in Remingtons factory load. Now Hornady offers a great 265 grain Interlock factory round, head and shoulders above the Remington round and much more accurate from my rifle. Hornady is also releasing a 444 round in their new Leverevolution series with the soft pointed tips which are supposed to up the anty in the ballistics. The only drawback to this rifle that I can come up with is the ports in the end of the barrel. Makes it bark louder. I think they may have produced some without the ports as well, but I have never come across one.

Biased view? Maybe, but just giving you my .02.

ATCHunter
February 3, 2006, 12:49 PM
Dirty Harry,

I have the Marlin 444 Outfitter (guide gun), or as I call it, "The Triple". Marlin no longer makes the Outfitter, which I think is unfortunate, but probably strictly a business decision on Marlin's part. I couldn't be happier with this rifle! So handy in the woods, which I'm sure you know from your 450. I've always had a thing for the .44 bullets over the .45's. I don't necessarily have a good reason for that, it's just one of those things. I took the factory sights off and put an XS ghost ring set on, which is great! I shot a nice 8 point whitetail with it last November. It came trotting by at about 25 yards in front of my stand, and I am confident that if I had my Browning 280 A-Bolt instead I would have never found him in the scope. As far as bullets go, your only choice used to be the 240 grain pistol bullet used in Remingtons factory load. Now Hornady offers a great 265 grain Interlock factory round, head and shoulders above the Remington round and much more accurate from my rifle. Hornady is also releasing a 444 round in their new Leverevolution series with the soft pointed tips which are supposed to up the anty in the ballistics. The only drawback to this rifle that I can come up with is the ports in the end of the barrel. Makes it bark louder. I think they may have produced some without the ports as well, but I have never come across one.

Biased view? Maybe, but just giving you my .02.

FirstFreedom
February 3, 2006, 03:20 PM
I don't think it's different enough to justify a different gun. You can load up .450 marlin with light bullets and duplicate .444 easily - it will be identical for all practical purposes. I would look into a levergun in .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 colt, .454 casull, which would all be a little shorter/handier, and hold a lot of rounds in the mag. Or a .30-30 or .35 rem, which can reach out and touch something at a better distance.