PDA

View Full Version : refinishing m44 stock

LTC_Para
February 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
hey im refinishing my m44 stock, im just sanding all the dings and dents out and its looking good right now, how can i get the cosmoline out of the wood? when i shot about 80 roudns through it it started oozing from the front fore grip with cosmoline i dont want it to mess up the new finish when i put it on. can i soak i t in somehing?

once i sand down and wipe to make sure there arent any dust particles i just buy a can of varnish i was thinking mahogony then take a few passes to that then a polyurathane?

will that be good enough say 3+ coats of varnish then 1-2 poly caots?

thanks

Right on the mark!
February 1, 2006, 02:30 PM
Brownells and Midway USA both have some great products available for cleaning cosmoline. I have an M44 and cleaned the stock by soaking it in Crystal Dish Soap (Cascade) and very hot water in the bath tub. The dish soap pulls the cosmoline out of the wood. Be advised that you will have a residue left on your tub when finished. It will take some elbow grease (no pun intended) to get out.

LTC_Para
February 1, 2006, 02:38 PM
i live in a dorm currently, i wont have to clean it, although it will be tough getting a wood rifle stock without any suspiscion into the dorm lol

i sanded it , so i will soak it with hot water or boiler water? how long? how many times

thanks

LTC_Para
February 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
varnish, polyurathane, ? any brands or steps recommended?

texfar
February 5, 2006, 05:18 AM
LTC_Para, go to www.surplusrifle.com and scroll down the page to Dish Washer cleaning method. It works. In the past I have used the ovencleaner and bathtub method, but is is messy. Try the dishwasher. He gives very good instructions.

Omega blood
February 5, 2006, 05:55 AM
[QUOTE] i live in a dorm currently, i wont have to clean it, although it will be tough getting a wood rifle stock without any suspiscion into the dorm lol

[QUOTE]

Use a gutar case or something insconpicuous.

LTC_Para
February 5, 2006, 06:27 AM
lol i wish i would have seen this a few days ago

i have been slaving away sanding down the dings and dents. does this leave a bad after taste on the dishes? my buddies have apts but they sure dont want their silverware to taste like 60 year old cosompline

thanks

quickshot
February 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
hey there! I just started on my m44 sporter project. What I used to get the cosmo out was easy off oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit there for 5-7 mins. then rinse with boiling water. Repeat as nessesary.

Quickshot

Hydrargyrum
February 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
I've used the dishwasher method a couple times. Its, IMO, the best for cosmo removal. I'll usually run the stock in the wash a couple times then run the washer a couple times empty to remove any residue. My grits tastes like grits and my gumbo tastes like gumbo.