PDA

View Full Version : Storm Calibers

brockgl
February 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
Forget all this .357, .380, 9mm, .40, .45 bull... We need new names for the calibers of the weapons we are using. Numbers have no meaning to the untrained brain. Here are the new names for some of these obscure calibers.

.380 = Lightning Caliber

9mm = Tornado Caliber

.40 = Tsunami Caliber

.357 Sig = Volcano Caliber (Named by fellow TFL member NBT)

.45 = Hurricane Caliber

.50 = WMD Caliber

This is now official, so I want everyone to begin referring to their weapon calibers in these terms.

{Edited to add additional caliber}

Double Naught Spy
February 1, 2006, 01:09 PM
Uh, just what obscure calibers do you have listed. None are obscure.

Caliber numbers have no meaning to the untrained brain? Just how the hell are these names going to prove any better for the untrained brain?

I don't mean to burst the bubble of your untrained brain, but you have apparently missed some critical education. Go find your junior high science teacher and give him a dope slap. At least two on your list are not even storms (Lightning and WMDs) and WMDs don't do anything until activitated.

brockgl
February 1, 2006, 01:24 PM
Double Night Sky, great points!!! :barf:

brockgl
February 1, 2006, 01:26 PM
Lightning isn't a storm in and of itself, thats why its on the smaller caliber... But it is produced in a thunderstorm...

WMD's aren't a storm, until they are activated, and then all hell breaks loose...

BamaMac54
February 1, 2006, 01:41 PM
This is the weirdest thread I've seen here yet....:confused:

Musketeer
February 1, 2006, 01:55 PM
You have managed to find the perfect solution to a problem that nobody has.

Perhaps we can call up the ghosts of Sgt. York and Audy Murphy to find out if they found the .45 confusing and would prefer to call it a hurricane.

Your suggestion will recieve all the attention of a fart in church. At the same time everyine posts something stupid from time to time, I know I do. Why though did you have to conitnue this lunacy in a second thread? http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197904&highlight=tsunami

Christian 812
February 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
I do remember my first beer !

Handy
February 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
I prefer a system based entirely on Hip-Hop.

.40 Smith and Wesson would be known as the M***** F****** Four O.

And so on.

BamaMac54
February 1, 2006, 02:28 PM
.380 -strained peas
9mm -carrots
.40 -fried pickles
.45 -ribeye
.50 -chicken liver

How's that? Now, everyone obey :D

I love my Sig226 in Stainless Steel carrot. It really feeds well, unlike a Waltehr I used to have that jammed strained peas everywhere.

Chris Phelps
February 1, 2006, 02:31 PM
.380 -strained peas
9mm -carrots
.40 -fried pickles
.45 -ribeye
.50 -chicken liver

How's that? Now, everyone obey

I love my Sig226 in Stainless Steel carrot. It really feeds well, unlike a Waltehr I used to have that jammed strained peas everywhere.

I can't obey until you name a .22

February 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
I can't obey until you name a .22

I already did.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197904

February 1, 2006, 02:35 PM
I do remember my first acid trip !

There, I fixed it for ya.

buzz_knox
February 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
Is there a smilie that says "this thread makes my head hurt?" The combination of :eek: :confused: just doesn't seem to cut it.

BillCnKC
February 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
BamaMac54--

I hear and obey. (Well, actually I read and obey, but that's not important right now.)

a Waltehr I used to have Where can I get me one of them "Waltehr" guns? <g>

I wonder if the thread-starter (gee . . . that could almost be the title of something, don't you think?) felt that by not using the traditional caliber designations our favorite sport might get less negative publicity by the untrained media and politicians intentionally bent on eliminating all firearms in America?

--seal killer; proud owner of a chicken liver

Handy
February 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
So, not using the scary numbers in favor of totally unemotional words like "Tsunami" and "Hurricane"?

Why do it half way? How about naming the calibers "Rapist", "Mass Murderer" and "CIA Torturer"?

whitenack
February 1, 2006, 02:52 PM
Frightened turtle
Eggroll
white guy
magnum
John Holmes

Topthis
February 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
The most amazing and disturbing thing about this thread...I actually read it through...and I even replied!!!!

Mike Irwin
February 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
Which caliber would be the:

Spring Shower?

Cool Summer Breeze?

Summer Soaker?

Winter Ice Storm?

NBT
February 1, 2006, 03:44 PM
:eek: I didn't wanna take credit for naming the .357 or be associated with this thread.....but he put my name up there in the post anyway :eek: :D
Oh what the hell, I couldn't see my favorite caliber go without a name :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BADMAN400
February 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
rofl. You guys are hilarious!

bigautomatic
February 1, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've been thinking about picking up the .45 Hurricane, but I'm afraid a strong southwesterly warming trend could downgrade it to a .17 mach 2 partly cloudy in a hurry! And what moron came up with the ridiculous idea of cartridges actually being referred to by measurement anyway? I mean c'mon, shouldn't they just be called small, medium, and uh, big?

whitenack
February 1, 2006, 08:26 PM
Uh, I got it!

El Nino!!!

Mark54g
February 1, 2006, 09:19 PM
no no no.

9mm is a tall
.40S&W is a grande
.45ACP is a venti

gfen
February 1, 2006, 09:57 PM
Does this mean 9x18 is "Red Storm."

BamaXD
February 2, 2006, 08:57 AM
With all these new names for the different calibers, you'd have to re-train your brain to go oh yeah, Tsunami...thats a .40 cal. OR...you just type out .40 cal, save the space of typing out Tsunami, and everyone knows what your talking about instead of playing the guessing game or having to refer back to this thread everytime you say Lightning, Hurricane or whichever. Why make something harder than in needs to be?

buzz_knox
February 2, 2006, 09:22 AM
.45 = Hurricane Caliber

I just realized. This is basically saying that the .45 blows!

whitenack
February 2, 2006, 09:36 AM
With all these new names for the different calibers, you'd have to re-train your brain to go oh yeah, Tsunami...thats a .40 cal. OR...you just type out .40 cal, save the space of typing out Tsunami, and everyone knows what your talking about instead of playing the guessing game or having to refer back to this thread everytime you say Lightning, Hurricane or whichever. Why make something harder than in needs to be?

Now you're being rediculous.

BamaMac54
February 2, 2006, 09:57 AM
1. I know it's Walther, not Waltehr....fingers farted.

2. I hope you people know I was joking

3. .22 would be English peas

VUPDblue
February 2, 2006, 10:13 AM
500 S&W = earthquake Caliber...?:D

EMB135Driver
February 2, 2006, 12:40 PM
I am dumber for having read your post and most of the follow up ones...May God have mercy on your soul. Please don't reproduce to let stupidity like this be prolonged any more than it already has.

VUPDblue
February 2, 2006, 02:34 PM
I am dumber for having read your post and most of the follow up ones...May God have mercy on your soul. Please don't reproduce to let stupidity like this be prolonged any more than it already has.
You need to loosen up. It may be stupid, of that we can all agree, but YOU did respond to stupididy (stupid is as stupid does):rolleyes:

Laz
February 2, 2006, 08:11 PM
"Now you're being rediculous."

NOW we're being ridiculous????:confused: :rolleyes:

GlocksRfun
February 2, 2006, 08:19 PM
I really wish I could get those 4 minutes back

payne
February 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
jeut burefgan cu taugr

Yeah, now i under stand it all.

whitenack
February 2, 2006, 09:23 PM
I was quoting Seinfeld.

It was sarcasm.

slystad810
February 2, 2006, 11:56 PM
Pass the crack pipe...

BillCA
February 3, 2006, 12:46 AM
This reminds me of a conversation with a friend of mine a few years back, after we had consumed some serious quantity of brewskis.

As I recall, it went something like this;

.25 ACP - A comical projectile
.32 ACP - Almost comical projectile
.380 ACP - Almost competent projectile
9mm - might make-it
.38 Special - SuPerior effective cartridge in a lightweight
.357 Magnum - Major Advancement (in) Gun 'n Useful Might
.40 S&W - Short & Wimpy
.41 Magnum - "Jesus" (because that's what someone looking at the muzzle says)
.44 Magnum - May Allmighty God Never (need to) Use Me
.45 ACP - A Combat Pistol
.50 Desert Eagle (DE) - The .50 Dead Enemy

maas
February 3, 2006, 12:53 AM
as long as i can keep calling my '06 pointy stick im happy
by the way how about thumper for the .45 colt

VUPDblue
February 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
BillCA,
the .50 would be .50AE (action express) not ".50DE (desert eagle), OBVIOUSLY you meant .50 Avenged Enemy.:D

BillCA
February 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
VUPD...

You're correct. Of course, I did mention we'd had a few brews at the time.

I should have mentioned this before - Colt has already used the terms "Lightning" and "Thunderer" as names for some of it's older guns. And of course Beretta now has the "Storm".

Double Naught Spy
February 7, 2006, 09:55 PM
Yes, and for Volcano, the Volcanic Repeating Arms company made a rocket ball .44 cal round that did poorly in function and marketing.

Some of y'all are very creative. I really liked BillCA's lower two calibers.

Mark54g, those are coffee calibers? That gives new meaning to needing a shot of coffee in the morning.