PDA

View Full Version : who has had barrel fluting done

handwerk
February 1, 2006, 08:51 AM
I am thinking about having this done on my sako ss/syn and would like to hear from someone who has had it done. How much did it cost? reduced the weight by how much and who did you have do it. Thanks

gunslinger1911ACP
February 1, 2006, 09:14 AM
stupid question...what is barrell fluting?

For what it's worth, I'm going to have Briley add a muzzel brake and tweak my trigger pull to about 3-3.5 lbs on my Weatherby Vangaurd .30-06. They charge $200-250 for the bramke and about $75 for the trigger job.

Rivers
February 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
Fluting a barrel that's already rifled can cause metal stress problems that will affect accuracy.

Art Eatman
February 1, 2006, 12:16 PM
Gunslinger, fluting is a series of grooves cut along thelength of a barrel. The idea is to have stiffness nearly equal to a thick barrel, but less weight. An added benefit is a bit faster rate of cooling of a heated barrel because of the increased area for radiation. Purely my opinion, but I've never seen the necessity for any of my hunting rifles. Dunno about the benchrest folks.

I really doubt that it would be a good idea to have an existing barrel fluted unless it's also re-heat-treated as well, for the reason Rivers gave.

I don't see the point of a muzzle brake on an '06. The '06 doesn't recoil all that much. A brake makes it Really Loud. Also, it seems to me that $75 is a bit much for a trigger job. I'm not familiar with that particular trigger, but if it's all that difficult, I'd bet that the labor for installation of a $75 Timney would be very little. (It took me about ften minutes to do the installation on a Ruger 77 MkII.)

Art

Rivers
February 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
The Weatherby Vanguard is the same as the Howa 1500. Just do a search for "trigger adjustment/Howa 1500," and you'll see that it's about a five-minute job...certainly not worth $75.

gunslinger1911ACP
February 1, 2006, 02:12 PM
thanks for the feedback guys!

Gunny Ret. USMC
February 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
:D I have 4 rifles with that done from the factory and it just:cool: :cool: :cool: looks cool.

Picher
February 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
Never, I repeat, NEVER have a barrel fluted after rifling.

My own rule is: look at fluted barrels and admire them, then buy a round one the size/shape you want. It will almost always shoot better than a fluted one.

Barrels expand from the pressure behind the bullet. The uniformity of expansion is dependent on the thickness and uniformity of the barrel steel. Fluting can really cause problems if accuracy is a major goal. It may not be noticeable if you only want 2" groups, but if you're looking at half minute of angle or better, it's usually harder to achieve it with a fluted barrel.

Picher

Bosshoff
February 1, 2006, 06:05 PM
Vanguard / Howa triggers suck. I know because I have one. Long, creepy, and unstable. I have been told there is not really a true "trigger job" which can be performed on this trigger. But wait, there is hope! Timkey FINALLY came out with a replacement in the last year or so. Brownell's part # 883-400-300. I have not done this yet, but I hate to see someone throw good money after bad.

Wildalaska
February 1, 2006, 06:18 PM
Never, I repeat, NEVER have a barrel fluted after rifling.

t may not be noticeable if you only want 2" groups, but if you're looking at half minute of angle or better, it's usually harder to achieve it with a fluted barrel.

I really doubt that it would be a good idea to have an existing barrel fluted unless it's also re-heat-treated as well, for the reason Rivers gave.

Fluting a barrel that's already rifled can cause metal stress problems that will affect accuracy.

We flute barrels every day. We cryo them thereafter. They can (and have) shoot/shot 5 shots into 1/2 inch out of a 5 pound rifle.

WildalldependswhodoestheflutingandbuildingireckonAlaska

Rivers
February 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
Make that, "wildwhoaltersthelawsofphysicsunlikeanyotherhumanonearthalaska".:rolleyes:

Art Eatman
February 1, 2006, 11:17 PM
Alright, kiddies. Play nice. And wash your hands before you eat.

Art

Wildalaska
February 2, 2006, 01:21 PM
The laws of physics change based on who is doing the formulae :)

WildlostschrodingerscatAlaska