PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Police

Persson
February 1, 2006, 01:01 AM
Hey...
I´m have a quastion about Remington 700 police caliber 7mm rem mag.. Is that used as a sniper caliber???
I saw in the list of Required Equipment in sniper.ws.. Was a 308 bolt-action or similar rifle.. But the 7mm rem mag have a more flack balisticks..

I´m sorry of my spelling i´m live in sweden, so my spelling isent de best!!!

tINY
February 1, 2006, 04:54 AM
They are not in common use with police as a sniping rifle. Nearly all precision rifles used by USA police are 308 or 223.

-tINY

joshua
February 1, 2006, 07:10 AM
In a police role the bolt action is usually utilized for a precision shot to incapacitate the perpetrator or weapon. Deadly force is last resort only if the perp is determined to be a grave danger to hostages, public or law enforcement officers. The 7mm Rem mag will definitely have superior ballistics than the common law enforcement/military rounds such as Tiny mentioned. the 7 mag is considered too poweful for law enforcement applications. Proportionality is applied when applying force and in this case just the right amount will be the 308 or 223. Most will argue that a 260 Rem or even the 243 will be ideal, but our police force will often use military chamberings just because it's proven effective by our military and it is readily available. Remember the bullet design has a lot to do with the effectiveness, I'm not sure it there are armor piercing 7mm bullets commercially available unless you take them from military surplus rounds. josh

Persson
February 1, 2006, 08:15 AM
Ok... thanks.. I´m only use my 7mm mag to hunting.. But i´m a big fan of the sniper rifle... But the 700 police are a good rifle anyway???? I chose betewen remington and mannlicher ssg p2 308w.. But the deler told me that the remington is as good as ssg p2 if not better to.. But the price was a big differens.. To remingtons advent.. Thanks I´m happy to all replays
Persson

Rivers
February 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
The Remington "police" models are fine, but they're no better than Senderos, if you can find one. They both offer H-S Precision stocks with aluminum bedding blocks; have the same actions, but with a different finish.

629 shooter
February 1, 2006, 11:43 AM
But the 700 police are a good rifle anyway????

A friend of mine has a 700P in .308 and I used to own one as well. Both shot extremely well. I once had the chance to fire a 700 Sendero in 7mm mag and it shot pretty good too.

LoadIt
February 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
I have the 700 PSS in .223. I took it to South Dakota to shoot some prarie dogs. 100 to 200 yard shots were a piece of cake. My longest shots were at around 450 yards in a pretty good crosswind. A bit more challenging but still fun.

ranger dave
February 1, 2006, 05:33 PM
the us secert service use rem 40xb s in 7mm mag

DavidJBlythe
February 1, 2006, 06:04 PM
The US military and most police units use 7.62x51 NATO. This is almost identical to the .308 WIN round that is commercially available. There are small differences, but you can interchange them if necessary. I do not know of anyone that uses a 7mm round as a service round. Someone posted that the US Secret Service uses them, but I cannot confirm nor deny that.

USMC - M40 (7.62x51 NATO)
US ARMY - M24 (7.62x1 NATO)

Rivers
February 1, 2006, 06:41 PM
The U.S. military also uses .300 Win Mag, and ANYBODY should be able to confirm that.

woodland
February 1, 2006, 08:08 PM
The U.S. military also uses .300 Win Mag, and ANYBODY should be able to confirm that.

True, the Army's M24 uses a long action so that they can have the option to convert to .300 Win Mag, but I don't think that it has ever really been done anywhere. AFAIK

Persson
February 2, 2006, 12:39 AM
OKii.. Interessting info.. Some day i got to bay a m-24.. But here in sweden you ned to sign a papper that you dont sel it at lest 20 yers, and to get it is take a 6-8 months...
Sweden is a dificult contry when it cames to weapons.. I mayby mow the USA when i´m old he he..
Thanks..Persson

orlando5
February 2, 2006, 08:42 PM
Yep you should move to the USA, the South to be exact. The current Soldier of Fortune in 7-11 has an article about SAS sniper operations in Iraq. The SAS with four sniper teams took out three suicide bombers simultaneously with headshot. The caliber was 338 Lapua. One team was for backup.

Honestly it doesn’t matter which rifle caliber it is as long as it is accurate and lethal. Your 7mm rem mag will do just fine.

Persson
February 4, 2006, 03:24 AM
I have one more question.. Why dose thy cal it police.. Do the Police in your states us this as a sniper weapond???
Any way.. I´m very happy whit my 700 police 7 mm rem mag.. I think it´s a very fine weapond..
No im just ned to save som mony to by a sako TRG-42 then would be seterfied..
Persson

joshua
February 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
They call it the Police or PSS because it's a good entry level model to serve a police marksman responsibilities. There are other models that can be utilized but an intermediate model will cost more. A 700 P combined with a Leupold 3x9 Mark 4 or Burris 3x12 XTR will keep the cost around $1500. Most police agencies that don't have a big budget will often pick the 700 P, but other agencies with very low budgets have a re-utilization program turning qualified confiscated long arms into precision marksmen rifles. So it's not uncommon to see some law enforcement officers toting hunting rifles with standard scopes because that's all they can afford. The only difference with a 700P with a VSSF II is the finish and barrel fluting on the VSSF II. The extra swivel stud, aluminum block bedding and the palm swell are all in the VSSF II. In fact if I get to do it again I'd rather purchase the VSSF II because the matte finish on the 700P is not all that durable compared to stainless. josh