PDA

View Full Version : Not another AK47/.223/bushmaster/Ar15 thread!

#18indycolts
January 31, 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm usually in the handgun threads but wanted to post here. I'm not a cheap person but am looking at a romanian made AK for $400 (with a bunch of goodies) and looking at a $1000 bushmaster (with no goodies). I would kill for a bush, but would be very happy for the AK. Yes, it's my first rifle. Funny eh? Yeah I know, I've been shooting shotties and handguns for 10 yrs. Don't get me wrong, I've shot plenty of rifles...never owned one. Now is the time! FYI, I own a Rem. 870 w/piston grip stock (00 buck) and a Walther P99 .40 (165g. hydrashoks). Home and personal defense is one thing, I'm just now getting into "shooting". I'm open here, lemme have it!:D

MTMilitiaman
January 31, 2006, 01:37 AM
Get the Rommie.

Theres something to be said about a rifle that takes a licking and keeps on ticking, and takes the cheapest stuff you can fit in the magazine, spits it downrange, and asks for more. Yeah, we clean our guns and probably don't need something that can be filled with sand and keep jugging along, but I say it is nice to have anyways.

DTakas
January 31, 2006, 03:12 AM
I too would go with the AK. Not because I think it's a better gun but if you are just shooting for fun you will find the "goodies" really make a difference in the fun factor. Both are good guns in different ways but I wouldn't pay more money for a gun I'd have less fun shooting.

root
January 31, 2006, 04:39 PM
Kinda off topic, but I have a quick question for you Romanian AK owners, how safe/reliable are they?

Having held a few I think they feel like junk, I'm not too concerned about it being TOO terribly inaccurate I'm just looking for a fun shooter (I mean, who doens't want at least 1 AK) Do the romanian AK's (Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 7.62x39) go boom every time? And are they safe? As I understand they were assembled by century arms, don't they have a somewhat notoriously bad reputation?

root
January 31, 2006, 04:43 PM
Kinda off topic, but I have a quick question for you Romanian AK owners, how safe/reliable are they?

Having held a few I think they feel like junk, I'm not too concerned about it being TOO terribly inaccurate I'm just looking for a fun shooter (I mean, who doens't want at least 1 AK) Do the romanian AK's (Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 7.62x39) go boom every time? And are they safe? As I understand they were assembled by century arms, don't they have a somewhat notoriously bad reputation?

root
January 31, 2006, 04:43 PM

SemperKnight
January 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
If you decide on the Rom AK don't get the WSAR they will not take double stack mags. Instead get the SAR7. It is probably the best romanian AK made.They are assembled with an American made recevier in LasVegas Nevada.
Better to get a Yugo AK or Mak90. Then maybe a Russian or Maddi egyption AK. The Mak90 is the civilian model of the chinese AK56, which has been noted as the US Navy Seal choice. The reason being is that they have a thicker reciever and can maintain sustained fire for longer periods.
I am not sure what is so great about the Yugoslovian AKs but they are expensive for some reason. Maybe they are just harder to aquire.

shaggy
January 31, 2006, 05:46 PM
You should be able to find a used, but very good to excellent condition Bushmaster for significantly less than $1000 - more like $700-800. For that much I'd definitely go with the Bushmaster. The quality is superior to that of a RomAK and the Bushmaster will be far more accurate. Yes the AK will go BANG! everytime, but so will the Bushmaster if you can give it a minimum of care. OTOH, if your weapons maintence skills are no better than those of a monkey with a sharp rock, go for the AK:) Additionally, the AR15 is more of a weapon system, not just a rifle. Once you get it, you can later think about any of the numerous caliber conversions (from .22LR all the way up to .50BMG), different barrel lengths, etc. as more money becomes available. And while the RomAK may come with some 'goodies', the AR15 has so many more and better accessories available.

However, if you're dead set on making your first rifle an AK, I'd suggest you at least consider a better brand of AK. For $500-600 you should be able to find a milled Arsenal AK or a VEPR. Both of which are much better quality and will easily outshoot the average RomAK.

TX_RGR
January 31, 2006, 05:55 PM
I guess this is the time for someone to throw in a cliche'. What the hell, this topic is a cliche'. So here ya go: You get what you pay for. Well, except in your case, because in both weapon scenarios presented, you are paying too much. You can get a new bushy for 800 easy, and 400 is more than a Romak is worth. I agree with the poster that suggested you spend slightly more money and get an exponentially better rifle if you are stuck on an AK. As for Ar vs. AK I will leave that to someone else.

MTMilitiaman
January 31, 2006, 06:43 PM
If you decide on the Rom AK don't get the WSAR [sic] they will not take double stack mags.

Then how do you explain this?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27903&d=1124673466

Better to get a Yugo AK or Mak90. Then maybe a Russian or Maddi egyption AK. The Mak90 is the civilian model of the chinese AK56, which has been noted as the US Navy Seal choice. The reason being is that they have a thicker reciever and can maintain sustained fire for longer periods.
I am not sure what is so great about the Yugoslovian AKs but they are expensive for some reason. Maybe they are just harder to aquire.

I do agree that the MAK90 is the better rifle if you can find one. But I am not sure how much the Navy SEALs use it...just because you saw it on the Internet or Charley Sheen said so...

I would skip the Yugo--their bores aren't chrome lined.

And to whoever asked, the two WASRs I have experience with have been very reliable and I have no concerns with their safety and durability. I have put at least 2000 rounds through my WASR since I got it about a year and a half ago. The only malfunction was the first time out. It was some heavily lacquered Brown Bear stuff and it only happened once. Nearly two cases of Wolf, including some of the older lacquered stuff, and a couple hundred rounds of miscillaneous other stuff has failed to produce any sort of problems. The rifle has been completely safe--no slam fires or anything of the sort. I bought mine the Aug before the AWB sunsetted so it doesnt have a threaded barrel and had Century's hack job trigger group. I have since put a $50 TAPCO G2 trigger group in it and it is much better--no trigger slap, much lighter and crisper--and dropped right in. The Red Star Arms unit is better and is fully adjustable, but runs about $40 more than the TAPCO unit. I never had any problems with canted sight blocks or the likes and the only other work I have had to do was Dremel a couple burrs off the mag well and generally smooth that out--and that was just because it wasn't liking the Bulgarian waffle mags. The ribbed steel 20 and 30 rounders that it came with always work fine and with those burrs removed, so do my favorite polymer waffle mags. The rifle is surprisingly accurate, about minute of milk jug at 150 yards with Wolf ammo from a sitting position, and has been a blast to upgrade. I have learned alot about the Kalashnikov because of the Romanian. When you end up changing or fixing everything, you sort of have to. I've installed new trigger groups, buttstocks, pistol grips, handguards, and rear sights, Dremeled mag wells, put in a couple recoil buffers...speaking of which, the only problems my brother has ever had with his was the back of the bolt binding with a Blackjack recoil buffer. Problems went away when the buffer went away and neither my rifle nor his has any problem with the Buffer Tech.

Overall, the Romanian won't have impressive fit and finish but it will do what the Kalashnikov was meant to do--put .31 caliber holes COM out to 300 yards or so. As an introductory AK, it will be one of the cheapest routes to learn a platform inside and out and is in my experience a lot of fun to upgrade. Even if you don't want to do all out, you can replace the trigger group, but a Mojo ghost ring on it, and if desired, replace the spatula style pistol grip with a more comfortable style that fits you, and have a sub-$500 rifle that goes bang absolutely every time and generally puts lead where you need it. I couldn't be more impressed with mine and now I know what I like and don't about the system and what I need to do to fix it when I get a more expensive Bulgy or VEPR.

DAWGTRAXX
January 31, 2006, 06:58 PM
you can't go wrong with the romy, i have a wasr10,it does take double stack, will go bang every time, also have a Saiga 7.62, love it,sporterized,doesnt look quite like a conventional AK, but it is , very VERY reliable also

oh yeah...cheap to shoot too

Dave R
January 31, 2006, 10:41 PM
Kinda off topic, but I have a quick question for you Romanian AK owners, how safe/reliable are they? My Romanian SAR-3 has not hiccupped since 2002, when I had a problem with a poorly-converted AK-74 mag.

#18indycolts
February 1, 2006, 12:53 AM
thanx for the insight. I went with the AK, bought it today actually. Walked out of the shop with a brand new AK, 2 30 rd. mags, case, sling, bayonet (looks cool, but will never use it), 60 rds. of ammo and a cleaning kit for $415. Just wanted something fun to shoot and I think I've found it. thanx again!

MTMilitiaman
February 1, 2006, 01:12 AM
Bayonets are funny like that. You get one and think "o well, I'll never use it." But I got one on my Yugo SKS and all I want to do is poke things with it. I want to poke things with my gun almost more than I want to shoot things. It's kinda annoying actually...

#18indycolts
February 1, 2006, 01:22 AM
thats all I needed to hear MT, I'm getting the sandbags filled now!:D

joshua
February 1, 2006, 07:16 AM
I do agree that the MAK90 is the better rifle if you can find one. Woo... hoo... I am the proud owner of a NHM90 and NHM91 - MAKs! Ok you made my night I'm going to bed now. :D josh

root
February 1, 2006, 09:50 AM
thanks a lot for the info guys, looks like I'll be getting an little AK action very soon!