PDA

View Full Version : AR Info Needed

steffen95
January 30, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi All,

I recently went to the local gun club with a friend and got the bug bigtime. I immediately joined and bought a shotgun for the skeet/Trap shooting. The outdoor range is 200 meters and I want to get a kick ass AR to have some fun with.

I am looking for opinion on the best AR rifle (Colt, Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster, etc...)

What length barrel would be best given the length of the range I will be using?

What kind of optics should I be using? I want to get the best technology available and see so many different things. I am a total newbie. I see some guns have traditional scopes but then some have EOTech and other similar optics attached. What are the differences and beneifts of each.

I know it is asking a lot, but I am really fired up to go buy something and want to do it right.

Thanks in advance.

armedtotheteeth
January 30, 2006, 08:05 PM
Depends on what you want, You want a semi auto?? i dont know alot about the 223 and 308s versions, I have one in 300 Mag. Bolt action. It is a bit more than most people want, Especially for 200 yards. It can be see on the thread, "Say hello to my little friend" I took a pic of my 200 yard group. Youll like it . I am one to speak for Armalites quality though. Very tight gun. Lifetime waranty. I think they are a bit pricey though, They got ARs from 223 to 50 BMG.The really really Acurate big ones are BOLT action though. Oh i forgot about the survival AR 7 i think. Made in 22 LR. quit making it in 1950 something though. Anyways, just depends on how many greenbacks you got, Any how often you shoot it. But you cant go wrong with an Armalite. Colts are good too. I shot a colt Ar 15 . It was fun.I cant complain.Take your time, dont just run to the pawn shop and pic up someone elses worn out junk.

Nicotine
January 30, 2006, 08:17 PM
you could get an AR style rifle with some versatilaty...
http://www.cobb50.com/mcr.htm
easy swicth from .223 to 30-06!:D

Lycanthrope
January 30, 2006, 09:18 PM
For tactical uberness, I htink I'd let ADCO build me an upper and mate it to a RRA lower.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Add some back up iron sights and an ACOG (TA31 or TA11) and you're the shizzle.

wgates011
January 30, 2006, 09:28 PM
I just got the same itch really bad. You should join the fourms at ar15.com alot of info. the best prices on everying related can be found on that site.

fanoblack
January 30, 2006, 09:37 PM
Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Armalite are all good brands. Get which ever you can get a decent price on and shoot it up.

My personal favorites are RRA and Bushmaster, but thats just mine. I own neither but that has nothing to with them. (I'm recently married = broke)

If accuracy with iron sights are what you want then I would suggest a 20 in, maybe a flat top so you can add optics if you choose. However, the Carbine (16 in.) models are nice as well. So for fun get what you want, if accurate fire is your game look into the varmit models (bull barrels, 20-24 inches, 2 stage triggers).

Enjoy.

fanoblack

Lt102
January 30, 2006, 11:16 PM
Speaking of price how does $850 sound for a new Bushmaster A 3 with the 20" Heavy barrel. It is a real solid rifle. Since, as I understand it' I can't put a collapsible stock on it (I'm in NYS) I decided to go for accuracy over Tacticality. My local dealer is selling this gun to me for less than he is offerring the A 2 style 16" carbines. Does this sould like a good deal to anybody?

fanoblack
January 31, 2006, 12:05 AM
That seems like a decent price, I doubt I could get one much cheaper, if that, here in OK.

fanoblack

jbrowningfan
February 2, 2006, 10:37 PM
check out RRA.
The elite CAR16 is great. Wilson bbl. and fit/finish is outstanding. ACCURACY?
as promised! 1"@100yds.
My first thought when I wanted an AR was Bushmaster. A friend had one with the stupid rear slant muzzle blast diverter on the barrel. (ban model) That thing has so much rear deflection blast that no one next to you on the range will like you! They are not even in the league of RRA.
MHO

Lycanthrope
February 3, 2006, 12:38 AM
friend had one with the stupid rear slant muzzle blast diverter on the barrel. (ban model)

That would be the sinus rattling "Y comp".