PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70, need advice...

BoneDigger
January 30, 2006, 02:51 PM
Although I didn't really need another rifle, I came across a good deal (I think?!?!?) and so I took the plunge. I found a Winchester Model 70 made in 1972, but with the new style Walnut stock with black endcap, in very good condition. It is a 30-06 and came with Leupold rings and base. I paid $275 for it.

First off, is there anything I should consider doing to this gun? The trigger pull is heavy at around 6-7lbs and the barrel is not floated or bedded. I have NOT shot the gun yet, so I do not know how the accuracy will be without floating the barrel.

Here is a picture of the gun. Any advice? Also, did I make a good decision or are there some unknown problems with this model?

Todd

Rivers
January 30, 2006, 05:28 PM
You can easily adjust the trigger yourself. When you remove the action from the stock, the adjustment method will be obvious to you.

youp
January 30, 2006, 06:56 PM
Shoot the gun before your mess with bedding etc. Case in point, I own a Savage with Accutrigger. The barrel is supposed to be free floated from the factory. It is not as evidenced by scuffing on the under side of the barrel from the stock fore end. The stock is synthetic. This gun averages a .25 inch group at 100 yards with 140 gr Ballistic tips. Should I free float the barrel? Of course not. IMO too many people mess with stuff that doesn't need it. Let your new gun decide for you if it needs bedding and free floating.

By the way, the same gun does not do nearly as well with the 150 and 160 grain bullets, closer to one and one half inch groups. The lesson here is that not all guns shoot all loads accurately. So maybe your time and effort would be better spent looking for that magic load.

youp
January 30, 2006, 07:00 PM
If you don't like it I will buy it from you. I think you did all right.:D

impact
January 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
I have a 25-06 that looks just like your gun. But your gun is in bettter shape. To do a trigger job is easy. But you need to do some reading on how to do it and test the gun to make sure the gun is safe to handel afterwords.

I would shoot the gun first before you did anything to the stock. I have seen a few guns shoot real well with a nufloated barrel. :) and they were 30-06s

I float all my bolt guns that can be floated. I have two guns that were floated and were never to the range. Not yet anyways:) Just something I like to do.

You did good at $275. a push feed bolt on ebay can go for $150 to $225. Yah just the bolt!

Good luck with your new gun. She looks good.

TPAW
January 30, 2006, 09:53 PM
Very nice and good price. I did not know that the Model 70 back in 1972 came without sights? I thought they all had fixed sights?:confused:

Wildalaska
January 30, 2006, 11:12 PM
You can easily adjust the trigger yourself. When you remove the action from the stock, the adjustment method will be obvious to you.

Easy...OK tell us how to do it :)

WildnoslamfiresokAlaska

bgoldhunter
January 31, 2006, 12:04 AM
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.asp

Explains it better than I could.

PDshooter
January 31, 2006, 12:27 AM
I replaced my trigger,with a timiney? on my varmint Win70 in .223 It to had a 6-7 pound pull. Now it's about 2lbs:)

brianidaho
January 31, 2006, 12:40 AM
BD, M70 triggers really are easy to adjust, just have 2 1/4 inch open end wrenches (ignition wrenches if you need to buy some). You don't need the small screwdriver, the 2 nuts jammed together let you turn the stud just fine once the other (lock) nut is loostened to adjust the overtravel. Its actually harder to get the action out of the stock-make sure you find a phillips bit that fits your screws properly. With a few minutes work you can dial this in real nice. Make sure you do your safety checks, slam the bolt closed a few times, and "bounce" the rifle off the recoil pad (OK no pad on yours, find a firm padded surface) and make sure the trigger doesn't release when it's not supposed to.

Bri

impact
January 31, 2006, 12:49 AM
Well there are other things you need to do as well! One is with the safety on and the bolt cocked. Pull the trigger! Let off the trigger! then turn off the safety. if you went to light on the spring or are to close to edge the sear the gun may fire by it's self. do all this with the gun unloaded :-).

It's not really that hard but you need to understand how the trigger works and how to check it.

Wildalaska
January 31, 2006, 02:04 AM
Now that you have willy nilly taken care of overtravel and weight, tell us how to do creep :)

WildthetruetestofatriggerjobAlaska

BoneDigger
January 31, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys. I may just take it in and have the trigger adjusted on it. I could probably do it, but then it could be a very bad day if I do it wrong.

As far as the sights on the gun, they appears to have been removed. I noticed it last night. There are some screws set into the barrel in front of the scope, and I am guessing that is what they are. I do not have the original sights.

Todd

Rivers
January 31, 2006, 11:00 AM
as wildknowseverythingabouteverysubjectbetterthananybodyelsealaska so adroitly points out, you won't adjust the creep without doing a little smithing. There are no factory-built-in adjustments for creep.

TPAW
January 31, 2006, 02:34 PM
Any screws at the end of the barrel?

BoneDigger
January 31, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, there are screws near the end of the scope and also at the end of the barrel.

Todd

arizcowboy
January 31, 2006, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't expect much better than 1.5MOA out of your rifle. If you can find a load that gets you 1MOA count your lucky stars and leave it alone. You got a good deal on a hunting rifle but don't expect target rifle accuracy out of a $275 rifle without putting some money and work into it.

BoneDigger
January 31, 2006, 05:21 PM
Well, for hunting puposes, especially for shots under 250 yards, wouldn't 1.5 MOA be sufficient?

I think I am definately going to do the trigger job (it will cost $27.50 at the gun shop) and see how the gun shoots before messing with floating, etc.

Todd

impact
January 31, 2006, 07:58 PM
Wild. Creep? I thought creep was those guys that spray paint signs to show what gang there in:)

Drue
January 31, 2006, 08:50 PM
I have a nearly identical M70 in .30-06. It is a 1975 model that I bought used in the early 1990s. It has the iron sights but did not come with rings or bases. I fooled around with the trigger and did not free float the barrel. It will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 with loads that it likes, generaly the 168 Sierra MKs and 165 Game Kings. The only 150gr loads that will shoot that well are the Hornady Lite Magnums. My 150gr handloads are in the 1.5" range. I believe that your rifle should be a good value at the price.

Drue

tINY
January 31, 2006, 09:17 PM
I'd put sights of some sort on it. Use the rings for a scope or put irons on it.

This will help you hit your target better.....

-tINY

FirstFreedom
January 31, 2006, 10:22 PM
Pretty rifle! But I'm with tINY - I think a scope would help you hit better than using the rings as a double peep sight setup. ;) :p

bgoldhunter
February 1, 2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with that a scope would help, and bet you can do much better than 1.5MOA. I've never had a Winchester that couldn't do better than that. Sure, it is enough for hunting, but why not get it as accurate as you can? I wouldn't keep one if that was the best I could get out of it.

buckster
February 2, 2006, 12:03 AM
Midway.com for the scope. 199.00 for three models. 27.50 is a good price for a trigger adjust, they can help with the scope install too.