PDA

View Full Version : Colt "Accurized Rifle" opinions

Lutefisk
January 29, 2006, 06:39 PM
I've wondered about these flat-top, .223, 24 inch barreled rifles. Anybody own one? Like 'em, hate 'em? Please help me in my rifle search, as of now I'm VERY undecided. Thanks.

ranger dave
January 29, 2006, 10:49 PM
I Think The 24 Inch Tube Is A Little Much. You Get About 100 Fps Per Inch Of Tube I Have A 16 Inch Free Floated Flat Top That I Can Get 2 Inch Groups At 300 Yards With 77 Gr Hp Bt. Im Getting A Two Stage Triger Next Week Maybe I Can Do Better

Lycanthrope
January 29, 2006, 11:38 PM
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~jefwolfe/faqchart.gif

What do you want it for? Colt's are a bit overpriced in my opinion. For a top notch varminter you could get a complete RRA or Stag lower and mate it to a Clark Gator or White Oak Armament varmint upper and still be around $1000 and guaranteed .5 MOA.

Jim Watson
January 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
What do you want it FOR?

I have one. It did not do anything in stock form that you could not do as well with a standard AR. It was no more accurate than my friend's early sporter and a lot heavier. (Get a flattop with or without detachable handle if you want to scope.) So I had the barrel shortened and lightened for 3-gun while that lasted around here. But you can buy guns ready to run for that.
Now it has a 28" barrel and it is a nice 600 yard target rifle, maybe farther if I can get the ammunition "issue" straight.

marks655
January 30, 2006, 10:55 PM
Most 'factory' flatop AR's use rather ordinary barrels. You can tell by the price. Most sell for under $1,100. For that price they are very unlikely to have a true 'match-grade' barrel.

If you want a really accurate AR, I suggest you get a used flatop or a lower plus upper assy. w/o barrel. Take the money you save and send the upper to Krieger for the barrel of your choice. You will pay a little more but you will end-up with a honest sub 0.5 MOA rifle.