PDA

View Full Version : model 70 pre 64 finish

handwerk
January 29, 2006, 09:18 AM
I just got a 1960 model 70 fwt in 30'06, it has it's original finish on it and I plan on taking it hunting next fall. I do not want to "refinish" it, but I would like to add a protective coat to it. Does anybody know what the original finish is? and/or what product I should use on it now? Also are there any websights out there for pre64 model 70 owners. Thanks for your help

impact
January 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
I know of a guy that has the same gun in 270. Nice gun you have there!

I don't think you want to do anything permanent to the stock. Had a buddy that liked to use Johnson past wax on all his old Winchester stocks.

Wildalaska
January 29, 2006, 01:30 PM
Ditto on paste wax

WildggodstuffAlaska

WIN71
January 29, 2006, 01:58 PM
Any hard floor wax type with a high carnuba wax mixture should be fine. It's tough, I also use it on cast iron tables on table saws and shapers, mostly as rust protection. It will take a beating.

Horseman
February 1, 2006, 10:26 PM
Anything other than wax will do just as much harm as refinishing to a collector. Wax is the thing to use because it can always be taken off if needed. Try to stay away from silicone waxes which can seep under the finish. SC Johnson Paste Wax has given me better results than waxes made for guns. Be sure to let it dry at least a half-hour to an hour. The harder the wax, the glossier the buff out job. Better results if you apply with the grain. Good Luck.

maas
February 2, 2006, 05:30 AM
if it was me id look for a nice used stock on ebay or auction arms i just looked and they have some nice stocks from $25 to $100 if it were me id get one save the original and refinsh the new one if needed